2008-2009 Habs Training Camp

KoZed

The time to get Mikko Koivu is right now, because I have a feeling in 4-5 months his asking price will be a lot higher than it is now.

All the ducks are in line for him to have a breakout year.

That being said, people are dreaming if they think the Wild deal him right now

Edited by Wamsley01

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it would happen but Mikko would send Laps to the minors in a heartbeat and make Lang look completely unnecessary. I suppose Chips needs to look at that scenario to realize what he needs to do to get noticed. Not really sure if my comments entirely fair to Chips but this thread has somehow turned him into a whiny little monster who wants to be traded when the truth is, he's still with the team and fairly close to staying with the team for good real soon.

Heheh... yeah, but it's more us - aka certain fans - who want him to make it. The truth is he's said absolutely nothing to indicate that he's unhappy or impatient for him...

ON a different note, LAtendresse was practising with Koivu and Tanguay yesterday. Higgins' injury seems to be a little more serious that we originally thought, and might not get to start the season.

This is good news for Guillaume, cause everytime he's been paired with Saku, he has produced!

Edited by Habsfan

ON a different note, LAtendresse was practising with Koivu and Tanguay yesterday. Higgins' injury seems to be a littel more serious that we originally thought, and might not get to start the season.

This is good news for Guillaume, cause everytime he's been paired with Saku, he has produced!

It looks like injuries might again force Guy Carbonneau to make the right decisions, at least this time it will be at the begining of the season. Otherwsise Carbonneau was going to stubbornly once again put Chris Higgins on an offensive role paired with Saku Koivu... not only has that duo not given us consistent quality hockey over the last two years (besides a couple of hot streaks, mostly on the powerplay), but I don't how Higgins completing a line with Koivu and Tanguay would give us great results.

I think we need to place either Latendresse or A. Kostsitsyn on that line, and since AK46 will be starting the season with Plekanec and Kovalev, Latendresse is our best option. He's big and physical, and has nutural goal scoring hands and instincts that the other two... nor Higgins by the same token, who basically shoots the puck every change he gets, but that doesn't make him a genuine goal scorer. I think Latendresse could be the perfect complement on that second line while giving him a chance to gain full-confidence, and fulfill his potential.

It looks like injuries might again force Guy Carbonneau to make the right decisions, at least this time it will be at the begining of the season. Otherwsise Carbonneau was going to stubbornly once again put Chris Higgins on an offensive role paired with Saku Koivu... not only has that duo not given us consistent quality hockey over the last two years (besides a couple of hot streaks, mostly on the powerplay), but I don't how Higgins completing a line with Koivu and Tanguay would give us great results.

I think we need to place either Latendresse or A. Kostsitsyn on that line, and since AK46 will be starting the season with Plekanec and Kovalev, Latendresse is our best option. He's big and physical, and has nutural goal scoring hands and instincts that the other two... nor Higgins by the same token, who basically shoots the puck every change he gets, but that doesn't make him a genuine goal scorer. I think Latendresse could be the perfect complement on that second line while giving him a chance to gain full-confidence, and fulfill his potential.

I agree. Once Lats gets comfortable he can claim the spot by just going to the net and doing his thing. Once he sees success the confidence will grow. I see Higgins as more of a third line winger anyway. He could still do his mad scramble, bull in a china shop method, with Lang and continue to produce. I hope his injury isn't serious, but long enough for Lats to stake his claim with Koivu and Tangauy.

I have been hoping that Lats would get a good run on a scoring line, but my fear is that as soon as Higgins is healthy that Lats is immediately demoted.

Every time Gui gets a shot on a top 2 line he is demoted when the player he replaces returns.

He most likely needs to produce immediately or the same story will play out once again

Higgins will be in an offensive role whether he's on Pleknaec's wing, Koivu's wing, or Lang's wing. Guy likes Higgins and Koivu together because they are two of the team's most responsible forwards. They play strong positional hockey in the defensive zone, are effective in the transition game, and are agressive forecheckers. Higgins may frustrate with all his missed scoring chances, but 25-30 goal scorers aren't exactly dead weight.

I agree that we should find the best line combos out there, but disagree with the premise that Koivu and Higgins are some kind of wasted opportunity. Carbo trusts them not solely because of offence, but the whole game.

I have been hoping that Lats would get a good run on a scoring line, but my fear is that as soon as Higgins is healthy that Lats is immediately demoted.

Every time Gui gets a shot on a top 2 line he is demoted when the player he replaces returns.

He most likely needs to produce immediately or the same story will play out once again

Latendresse-Lang-Sergei is a good scoring line. I don't see a problem with Gui being put on that line once Higgins is healthy.

This could be his year. Timing is everything when a team full of depth is trying to figure out where everyone fits. In order for Lats to get the respect he feels he deserves he needs to step up to the plate. Well here is your chance buddy. Skating lessons, desire, hard work, good intentions only gets you so far. At some point the puck needs to start going into the net. Sure, Higgins will get his spot back when he returns but Lats can't think about that, all he needs to think about is going to the front of the net and slip pucks past the goalie as often as he can. The rest is up to Carbo. He'll do the right thing. AK46 did it, Hey Pleks even took the #1 centre position from Koivu......It's up to Lats. By the way Walmsley, you are correct, he'll need to do it right of the bat. At least bag enough goals so that when Higgins comes back and slumps Carbo will go back to Lats because it was working.

I agree that we should find the best line combos out there, but disagree with the premise that Koivu and Higgins are some kind of wasted opportunity. Carbo trusts them not solely because of offence, but the whole game.

Latendresse-Lang-Sergei is a good scoring line. I don't see a problem with Gui being put on that line once Higgins is healthy.

Because Gui has enjoyed success with Koivu before, that's why I feel it would be a good thing to keep him there while Higgins would be fine on the "turd" :huh: line since it will generate offense as well. Who knows, we have great problems don't we? What a breath of fresh air to start the season with so many great line possibilities.

By the way, we're going to lose that opening game. Buffalo almost always beats us in Buffalo, and Saturday? guess what? lose again because T. friggin O. always seems to beat us no matter what team they ice. Hmmmm, then Philli beats us because French goalies always beat us , but it is in Phili. Our first win may not come until the second or third week of October. Oh boy the press will be all over the boys for no reason at all. All of our demons come in the first week. Even Boston who remembers the 1st round and killing them all last season.........We are in for a weak 1st month but then the sun will shine the rest of the way !!!!!!!!!!!

HOCKEY IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: Colin, It's always Saku's fault around here.

Not always. For instance, had Pacioretty been given the spot on Koivu's line rather than Latendresse, it would have been Max's fault for not producing (and Carbo's). Unless he changed his name to Maxwelle Pachirette, then it would be Koivu's fault. And that's not a slap at the French folk here, because the really sad reality is that, five games after blaming Koivu, Pachiorette would be run out of town for failing to be the next French superstar. As will Lats if, by the halfway point of the season on the top two lines, he hasn't produced 40 goals and 95 points.

It's my experience that French players should be offered greated chances, but if they fail (to be blinding supernovastars) they fall further than any English, Finnish, Dutch, Korean, or Ethiopian player anywhere.

However, yes. When in doubt, blame Koivu. I suppose Montreal fans must like South Park. Blame Canada = Blame Koivu.

Edited by Colin

Higgins will be in an offensive role whether he's on Pleknaec's wing, Koivu's wing, or Lang's wing. Guy likes Higgins and Koivu together because they are two of the team's most responsible forwards. They play strong positional hockey in the defensive zone, are effective in the transition game, and are agressive forecheckers. Higgins may frustrate with all his missed scoring chances, but 25-30 goal scorers aren't exactly dead weight.

Hardly the same calibre of players. Lang and SK are not at the level of Tanguay and Koivu yet (SK).

Is Lats being afforded a better chance than last season, yes. But playing with Tanguay/Koivu for more than 2-3 games

could do wonders for the kids confidence and production.

Hardly the same calibre of players. Lang and SK are not at the level of Tanguay and Koivu yet (SK).

Is Lats being afforded a better chance than last season, yes. But playing with Tanguay/Koivu for more than 2-3 games

could do wonders for the kids confidence and production.

By that same token, Guillaume Latendresse is not the same calibre of player as Chris Higgins is (yet).

Gui ended last year with Lapierre and Dandenault/Ryder. It's up to him now.

It's ridiculous to complain about the line combos before the puck is dropped. Carbo has his reasons for thinking his combos will work best. If they don't, he's shown he can be very quick to change things up.

I agree with you... in theory. However on the ice the Koivu-Higgins duo has had all sorts of trouble playing 5-on-5 hockey, regardless of who played on the other wing with them. They've been very streaky, and most of the hot streaks really came from the powerplay.

In my opinion, not only is Latendresse a better fit for Koivu and Tanguay, but I think Higgins is also a better fit for Robert Lang and Sergei Kostsitsyn on the third line than Latendresse is. He's faster and better two-way player than Latendresse is, while he won't have to play the role of the lone goal scorer with Lang being a pretty good shooter as well.

By that same token, Guillaume Latendresse is not the same calibre of player as Chris Higgins is (yet).

Gui ended last year with Lapierre and Dandenault/Ryder. It's up to him now.

It's ridiculous to complain about the line combos before the puck is dropped. Carbo has his reasons for thinking his combos will work best. If they don't, he's shown he can be very quick to change things up.

I am not complaining about line combos, I just want to see Lats get an extended run on a top 2 line to see what he can do.

If he gets 10-15 games and does nothing then that is on him, but as of yet he had one extended run 2 years ago and produced

at a 30 goal clip.

He has busted his ass and now he hopefully will get his chance to impress. I also agree with Cerebus and would prefer Lats

with Koivu/Tanguay and Higgins with Lang/SK74

Edited by Wamsley01

I also agree with Cerebus and would prefer Lats

with Koivu/Tanguay and Higgins with Lang/SK74

SO do I. I'd like to see these line combo's for at least 15-20 games!