Whitney for Kunitz + Tangradi

alexstream

I've heard Tangradi is shaping up to be a top prospect who will have no trouble making it to the NHL. Still seems like a small price for Whitney... If that's all it took, I would have prefered he come here!

It looks like a small price to pay, but as someone said Tangradi is probably the key piece in this trade, who's looking more and more like a 2nd round steal. Also most general managers probably realize that Withney might look a bit better on paper than he really is, being an offensive-minded defenseman on an offensive powerhouse, and playing alongside the likes of Gonchar, Crosby, and Malkin.

Maybe someone can fill me in on why Tangradi looks like a good prospect.

He's 20 years old, he's a LW, he's big, but he's only got five goals and 20 points in 65 games with the East Division-leading Bulls.

Doesn't look like much of a steal to me...a "top prospect", who is a year away from being able to play in the AHL, AND playing on a quality team, should have more then 20 points in 65 games in junior.

I'm so sick of hearing people talk about the Habs dealing quality, young, NHL regulars for players when a guy like Whitney goes for relative junk.

The Pens did NOTHING to bolster their team right now...and likely didn't bolster their team long term.

And they gave up a young, signed, d-man who can score 45 points a year...

He's 20 years old, he's a LW, he's big, but he's only got five goals and 20 points in 65 games with the East Division-leading Bulls.

Doesn't look like much of a steal to me...a "top prospect", who is a year away from being able to play in the AHL, AND playing on a quality team, should have more then 20 points in 65 games in junior.

I'm so sick of hearing people talk about the Habs dealing quality, young, NHL regulars for players when a guy like Whitney goes for relative junk.

The Pens did NOTHING to bolster their team right now...and likely didn't bolster their team long term.

the word at HFboards is that Tangradi is the hidden card in the deal. he instantly becomes the Pens' new Kevin Stevens.

Actually Tangradi has 38 goals in 52 games, for a total of 87 points. He's also the leading scorer for Belleville, not to mentuion that he looked very good at the WJC. He's huge with a lot of raw potential, but he's already improved a lot from that 20 point season. He could eventually be a great fit for a guy like Crosby, not unlike Ryan Malone.

Ehhh Tangradi could not have been the deal maker. He's good but I mean common, Whitney is practically a top pair guy on most teams (except Anaheim, see Pronger and Niedermayer) and he's signed long term. A dumb move, plain and simple.

Tangradi has impressed me in the few games I've seen, but this is still a head-scratcher...

Maybe Staal won't cost us as much as we think?

I think this is a good trade. Kunitz replaces Malone, who is sorely missed. They lost all their offensive depth last year. With Goligoski showing that he can play at a high level in the future, and Zygimanous or however you spell it, they are deep at centre and defense. Defense Orpick, Scederi, Gonchar, Letang, Gill, Goligoski. Tangradi looks like a great replacement for Esposito.

Edited by BCHabnut