Ovechkin's celebration

Colin

Ovechkin's 50th

Is he not the best thing to happen to this game maybe ever? I mean, I loved the celebration - I think celebrations are awesome and I disagree with the NHL about taunting. What brings more heat to these trap-neutered games? Celebrating and making the opposition sweat about it.

Between him and Kovalchuk, that's about the most fun there is in the game.

I would have paid money to watch him to that to the Habs it was so awesome. There's little better than watching the celebrations in soccer and the ones in football before they banned fun in that league. If the NHL puts a collar on Ovechkin, I think it's about the stupidest thing they can do.

I love Ovie's enthusiasm, he's easily the most fun player to watch in the league. That being said, I hated this celebration. It just reeked of the likes of TO and Chad Johnson. As an isolated incident (i.e. celebrating a significant achievement) I don't have a big problem with it, I just hope he won't make a regular thing out of it.

Plus, it just wasn't that good. I didn't think it was especially creative or runny. Wasn't even his idea, it was Theo's. Spur of the moment celebrations like Bossy and Fleury will always top pre-planned crap with props.

I think if a player who is outgoing and a showboater does something spontanious out of excitement and joy, it should be encouraged. When they do rehearsed things like that, it is a bit silly. I hope he keeps having fun and celebrating in his Ovechkinian fasion, just don't rehearse it.

I'm so sick of hearing people whine about this, if the NHL turns into the No Fun League then I agree Colin, it'll be the worst thing they can do. Compared to the other leagues, hockey players are boring. Jeremy Roenick just said the other day that Crosby gives about the most boring interview an athlete can and the NHL needs more guys doing things like Ovechkin. Ovechkin is breathing some life into the sport and everyone else needs to stop getting their panties in a bunch.

PS: T.O signing the ball, Joe Horn calling his mom, Chad Johnson's "Please don't fine me again" sign....genius. The Stamps receiving corps put on some good shows as well. Using the football as a baton and running a relay race around Commonwealth or getting together and running a bobsleigh race. Love it. Or when Hamilton/Winnipeg (I forget who) got together and did the Riverdance.

I'm so sick of hearing people whine about this, if the NHL turns into the No Fun League then I agree Colin, it'll be the worst thing they can do. Compared to the other leagues, hockey players are boring. Jeremy Roenick just said the other day that Crosby gives about the most boring interview an athlete can and the NHL needs more guys doing things like Ovechkin. Ovechkin is breathing some life into the sport and everyone else needs to stop getting their panties in a bunch.

PS: T.O signing the ball, Joe Horn calling his mom, Chad Johnson's "Please don't fine me again" sign....genius. The Stamps receiving corps put on some good shows as well. Using the football as a baton and running a relay race around Commonwealth or getting together and running a bobsleigh race. Love it. Or when Hamilton/Winnipeg (I forget who) got together and did the Riverdance.

Exactly. Peter Crouch doing the robot. Priceless.

It's all a matter of context. Guys in the NFL were exaggerating way too much. It should be spur-of-the-moment thing right after, not some freakin' Olympics Opening Ceremonies choreography.

Thing with the NHL is: they need more players with more personality, that have a flair for the dramatic without becoming cocky and disrespectful to the other team. If I'm a goalie and a player starts celebrating too much after he scored on me, next time he comes near my crease I'd go Hextall-on-Nilsson on the f*cker.

Bring back the good ol' Selanne move throwing his glove and shooting it with his stick !!! That shit was sick !

Hell yeah, that one was awesome.

I also liked the one a few years ago when Colorado was playing Dallas on a Saturday afternoon on ABC and Hejduk went swimming after scoring in OT.

This is the worst celebration I've ever seen. People found that fun to watch? The problem isn't that he celebrated, it's that he wasted a big moment with a crappy celebration when he could have thought of something better! The NHL needs people like TO and Chad Johnson - Avery and Ovechkin aren't quite that...

This is the worst celebration I've ever seen. People found that fun to watch? The problem isn't that he celebrated, it's that he wasted a big moment with a crappy celebration when he could have thought of something better! The NHL needs people like TO and Chad Johnson - Avery and Ovechkin aren't quite that...

why do we need crybabies that only crave attention and personnal stats but don't care about winning at all. To me these guys are cancers and just dont appeciate what they have and just ask for more and more without giving back.

I you ask me I'd rather hear about winning teams and players.

why do we need crybabies that only crave attention and personnal stats but don't care about winning at all. To me these guys are cancers and just dont appeciate what they have and just ask for more and more without giving back.

I you ask me I'd rather hear about winning teams and players.

TO may have a big mouth but you can't tell me he doesn't care about winning it all. He went against the doctors orders and played in Super Bowl XXXIX with a broken fibula AND a sprained ankle. Not only that, he was the Eagles best player for the game!

Like I said, hockey players are boring. They want to increase the attention to the game, they need entertaining people to liven it up. You don't even have to be like Johnson or TO, Peyton Manning is another example. The guy is full of personality, basically every commercial he does is gold and his performance on SNL was one of the better ones in recent memory. Exact same thing can be said about Lebron James. The NHL needs guys like that with huge amounts of charisma to market their game around. Guys like Crosby and Malkin have none.

The NHL needs people like TO and Chad Johnson - Avery and Ovechkin aren't quite that...

Ugh, that's the last thing the NHL needs. Those clowns are ego-centric, team killing cancers. Chad Johnson used to be one of the hardest working players in the league. He would sleep in the team clubhouse the night before the weekly playbook was handed out so he could be the first one to read it. Then he started devoting all his time to his lists and celebrations and the team collapsed around him. TO is always good for a year or two, but then he just ends up throwing his team under the bus. If Ovie were to develop into the type of player these guys are, it will be the death of his mystique and of the Caps.

Well, originally the plan was that Backstrom and Green were going to join in and all three of them were going to pretend Ovie's stick was too hot, but they chickened out at the last second. I had no problem with Alex doing his thing, but it would have been funnier if it was the 3 of them.

I think he should have take a lighter off his pads and light up his stick, pretend it is too hot, spray the fire with some Gatorade, then sign the stick and give it to his accountant in the stands while talking on the phone to the the GM asking for a trade.

Ugh, that's the last thing the NHL needs. Those clowns are ego-centric, team killing cancers. Chad Johnson used to be one of the hardest working players in the league. He would sleep in the team clubhouse the night before the weekly playbook was handed out so he could be the first one to read it. Then he started devoting all his time to his lists and celebrations and the team collapsed around him. TO is always good for a year or two, but then he just ends up throwing his team under the bus. If Ovie were to develop into the type of player these guys are, it will be the death of his mystique and of the Caps.

Those guys are entertaining and they have style. They also happen to be good players. They don't have to be dressing room cancers either. Look at Shaq: a great player, everyone loves him, very funny... But Crosby? "Uh... everyone gave 110%, all four lines were contributing, uh... we just wanna keep moving our feet, get fired up... and play our game." Boooring. I'd take a Chad Johnson in my league over him any day.

Ovechkin's entertaining but he can hardly communicate with Anglo reporters. Same thing for Malkin - he isn't a boring person, he just doesn't have much English so he's left alone.

What does Shaq have to do with anything? He's never used a prop to celebrate anything.

Ovechkin's entertaining but he can hardly communicate with Anglo reporters. Same thing for Malkin - he isn't a boring person, he just doesn't have much English so he's left alone.

Come on, Ovie gets interviewed all the time and it's almost always great stuff.

What does Shaq have to do with anything? He's never used a prop to celebrate anything.

Come on, Ovie gets interviewed all the time and it's almost always great stuff.

He's entertaining and he has character --> what the NHL needs. How many guys like Shaq exist in the NHL? Brian Burke? A declining Roenick? There isn't really anyone. Even Avery is nothing compared to Owens and Johnson, who are stars in the NFL. From what I've seen, NHLers easily give the dumbest and most boring answers/interviews while NFLers give the best. The NHL needs Ellen DeGeneres!

Ovie gives two-word answers; he has personality but he can hardly express himself in English. He's more exciting for the way he plays.