The Carey Price pick...

KoZed

48 members have voted

1. 1. In hindsight, do you still think the Habs made the best pick by getting Price in 2005?

• Yes
    • No
    • Too early to tell

I think the criticism towards Price is a little premature. Give the kid some time...How many times have we said that it takes longer for goalies to develop(same with defensemen).

We're just lucky to have a good 2nd goalie in Halak.

I don't understand Jacques Martin's choice of going with Halak Tonight. Hasn't Price sat out long enough??

I think the criticism towards Price is a little premature. Give the kid some time...How many times have we said that it takes longer for goalies to develop(same with defensemen).

We're just lucky to have a good 2nd goalie in Halak.

I don't understand Jacques Martin's choice of going with Halak Tonight. Hasn't Price sat out long enough??

Hey, Price needs to recover from over-partying

This is a double standard with habs fans, last game Halak played very poorly, yet he gets a pass cause our D was a mess, yet Price "has to steal us games or he sucks".

I wouldnt, say Halak played poorly..not at all.

The only time one of our goalies played poorly was the game in Vanccouver...and even then, I would not put the blame for that loss on Carey...thge Rest of the team didn,t show up that night!

This is a double standard with habs fans, last game Halak played very poorly, yet he gets a pass cause our D was a mess, yet Price "has to steal us games or he sucks".

Hardly. Halak didn't let is any soft goals. In some of the previous games, Price didn't either, and no one called him out. The issue was that Price was playing average and we were losing. Halak has played better then average, making some huge saves until the team got going.

I am surprised that Price is not in tonight. If he does well, he can play against Pitts with some confidence. If not, we go back to Halak. Now, best case for Price is he comes back against Pitts, a tough team. He could get blown out which will do nothing for his confidence.

Let's hope Halak is so good tonight, he plays in Pitts too, as I don't want to see Price in that game cold.

Halak makes stops when somebody makes a mistake, and at this point Price seems to be completely unable to. However the double standard with Price is that its OK those are goals because somebody made a mistake. In the Rags game Halak did play decent, there was more Habs mistakes than Rags goals. Halak did have several big momentum swinging saves. If Price had been in net it probably would have been 8-2 Rags.

Halak makes stops when somebody makes a mistake, and at this point Price seems to be completely unable to. However the double standard with Price is that its OK those are goals because somebody made a mistake. In the Rags game Halak did play decent, there was more Habs mistakes than Rags goals. Halak did have several big momentum swinging saves. If Price had been in net it probably would have been 8-2 Rags.

I thought Halak was quite shaky against the Rangers. He's still Mr. Rebound.

Great question Kozed. Yes Kopitar was the consensus pick but like you said, we probably didn't draft him because we had AK.

I agree with Huzer; Habs would have probably screwed Kopitar's development anyways. I voted "too early to tell". Cannot lose hope!

I wonder if the Kings had Kostitsyn and we had Kopitar. Who would be the league's leading scorer today?

(Kostitsyn? Nah, probably Ovechkin lol)

What game were you watching? Halak had no chance on the first 2 goals, was screened on the 3rd and was left alone with Gaborik on the 4th. Guess you forgot all the games he stood on his head to keep the Habs in games they had no business winning, like the two 1-goals games he had last week.

The difference right now between Price and Halak is that Carey can't stay focused for 60 mins and/or breaks down after allowing goals. When Halak messes up, he shakes it off and buckles down. It's just mental but for goalies it makes all the difference. It's true that Price sometimes gets ragged on unfairly, but his demeanor isnt particularly conductive to sympathy and lenience.

Price is like Kostitsyn: expectations are proportional to their talent and draft rank. Nothing is really expected out of an afterthought pick like Halak. So when that 271st overall pick is giving you wins and 1-goal allowed games, it raises the bar for the 5th overall pick. It's not a double standard.

For the record, I agree with the philosophy of building from the net out; however I also believe that goalies arent trully "made" until their early 20's and that high picks are usually wasted on them. For every Luongo and Fleury there's a dozen Kidds and Storrs and Finleys. Goalies are a different breed than skaters, at 17 and 18 you have almost as good chances at getting a future star in the 1st as in the 6th round. Goalies are just that unpredictable.

I thought Halak was quite shaky against the Rangers. He's still Mr. Rebound.

To be fair, they didn't help him in that 1st period

We were horrible in our zone, totally disorganized.

I am surprised that Price is not in tonight. If he does well, he can play against Pitts with some confidence. If not, we go back to Halak. Now, best case for Price is he comes back against Pitts, a tough team. He could get blown out which will do nothing for his confidence.

Let's hope Halak is so good tonight, he plays in Pitts too, as I don't want to see Price in that game cold.

Apparently, Price has a really good record against the Penguins in Pittsburgh.

But still, why make him sit for 8 days, and then send him against the best team in the east? Why not give him an "easy" game against the Isles just to loosen him up a little??

Edited by Habsfan

My problem is Halak played badly in sat night game (imo) and everything is fine cause we won, because the habs actually scored some goals, you look at the goal support for both goalies and it's drastically different.

My problem is Halak played badly in sat night game (imo) and everything is fine cause we won, because the habs actually scored some goals, you look at the goal support for both goalies and it's drastically different.

yes but win and your in is I am sure what Martin told him except for back to backs.

Carey will have his chance and it will be up to him to seize the moment.

I'm pretty sure Price will be in the net tonight.

He's been good vs Pittsburgh so far.

I was thinking the same thing. Price has been pretty good against the Penguins, but I got a feeling Martin will keep Halak in nets!

I was thinking the same thing. Price has been pretty good against the Penguins, but I got a feeling Martin will keep Halak in nets!

Well, you were right

Jacques is going with Halak

If Price gets the nod this weekend against the pathetic Laffs there is no better game for him to get back on the horse. They are inept on offense and 95% of their shots are perimeter softies that will just pad his stats and confidence.

I agree with a couple of the earlier posters in that I get the sense Price is starting to believe some of his own media hype a little too much. Halak is barely 1yr older than Carey, not exactly a wealth of extra experience, and yet I get the sense watching each of them play that Halak wants to be there whereas Carey just figures he should be there. There is also a definite difference when Jaro gets scored on vs. when Carey gets scored on, the reaction from the crease to the bench is alltogether different for each guy.

I don't wish any ill-will towards Carey, however he needs to spend some time riding the pine so he can focus on getting his game to a level where he is playing NHL-caliber hockey on a consistent basis, because right now Halak brings more effort and energy each start than Price does.