Interesting Article By Michael Farber

kaos

I would rather lock up my money in good players even if (and that if is arguable) they are overpaid rather than sit on a whole lot of cap space we can't use because no one wants to sign here and trades are going the way of the 2 line pass.

So Gomez is overpaid. Yeah we all know. So who would you rather have at centre? Koivu? Yeah I love Koivu but Gomez is just a better player right now. Or we could just use Pleks and Laps in our top six. Sure, we would be incredibly weak down the middle but we would have cap space!

Edited by ForumGhost

I would rather lock up my money in good players even if (and that if is arguable) they are overpaid rather than sit on a whole lot of cap space we can't use because no one wants to sign here and trades are going the way of the 2 line pass.

So Gomez is overpaid. Yeah we all know. So who would you rather have at centre? Koivu? Yeah I love Koivu but Gomez is just a better player right now. Or we could just use Pleks and Laps in our top six. Sure, we would be incredibly weak down the middle but we would have cap space!

Sorry, but Gomez hasn't done anything to warrant his 8 million$ salary. In case you hadn't noticed, he's on pace to finiahs the season with 33 points! At that rate, i'd rather have Koivu at 4.5 million. At least you know you'll get 50 to 60 points with Saku!

Sorry, but Gomez hasn't done anything to warrant his 8 million$ salary.

So Gomez is overpaid. Yeah we all know.

It's all but confirmed that he was playing injured before he sat out. On top of that, his winger is out of the lineup for God knows how long.

Edited by ForumGhost

Sorry, but Gomez hasn't done anything to warrant his 8 million$ salary. In case you hadn't noticed, he's on pace to finiahs the season with 33 points! At that rate, i'd rather have Koivu at 4.5 million. At least you know you'll get 50 to 60 points with Saku!

Actually, Koivu is getting around $2.5M. Which would have actually have left enough to sign Koivu AND Kovolev for another year rather then Gomez.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

It's all but confirmed that he was playing injured before he sat out. On top of that, his winger is out of the lineup for God knows how long.

So we got a player who can only play with one winger???? Pleks has been playing with almost every one on the team and hasn't missed a beat (until the Toronto game).

I like Gomez, but for what he brings to the table, anything over $4M is larceny. I like Gionta better, but again, he is being paid at least $1M more then what he is worth.

In a salary cap system you CANNOT overpay as many people as Gainey is. the problem is that he has ALWAYS signed guys for more then they are worth. In a salary cap world when you sign guys to ridiculous deals, you have to hope to hell that there is someone dumber then you to correct your mistakes. Too bad Mad Mike is on CBC rather then still in NY.

Actually, Koivu is getting around $2.5M. Which would have actually have left enough to sign Koivu AND Kovolev for another year rather then Gomez.

Didn't Kovalev get a good offer from Bob and not get back to him on it? And while the consensus is that Gomez got too much; which I will accept without knowing much about it, maybe that's what it took to get the ball rolling.

I serioiusly doubt that Uncle Bob didn't know that he was overpaying at the time, but bit the bullet to get things going. I love Koivu and Kovalev (in a manly way) and was especially aggrieved to see Kovy go, but I didn't see us moving on much with Saku as the years go by. We are younger up front. Would Camiilac be here without Gomez and Gionta? I don't know the answer to that question.

In Bob I trust.

So we got a player who can only play with one winger???? Pleks has been playing with almost every one on the team and hasn't missed a beat (until the Toronto game).

I like Gomez, but for what he brings to the table, anything over $4M is larceny. I like Gionta better, but again, he is being paid at least $1M more then what he is worth.

In a salary cap system you CANNOT overpay as many people as Gainey is. the problem is that he has ALWAYS signed guys for more then they are worth. In a salary cap world when you sign guys to ridiculous deals, you have to hope to hell that there is someone dumber then you to correct your mistakes. Too bad Mad Mike is on CBC rather then still in NY.

+1

Gomez at his peak isn't worth 7.5M/yr let alone what he is capable of now. He won the lottery when he got that contract in the first place, and Sather in return when he was able to unload it to mastermind BG.

Apparently lightning can strike twice.