GDT: Devils/Habs (Jan. 9, 7:00)

dlbalr

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a bad game. Not surprised it's just 1-1 but the Habs are competing. Would help if Camm & Plex had a right-winger.

The intensity is there. Control is ok considering it's the Devils. But passing? Our passing has been, at best, laborious all season long.

I am thinking more of the control they were exercising a few minutes ago and their passing was pretty good for this time, but you're right. And a right winger would be nice.

Good game.. getting a point against these guys is an accomplishment. Bad break on the winning goal, boys were all caught deep, but at least they were going for it. Halak had no chance on that sweet move by Parise.

MB was great, but the defensive system of NJ was incredible. No one gets in tight with the puck and most of our shots were bad angle tries because there was just nothing open.

Halak did a great job in the 3rd in particular. Several game savers to steal the point against the best team in the league. Given our track record with these guys.. I will take the point thank you!

They'll probably put Price in next game Halak lost...

What a joke.

Ihope it will be Halak - but with Martin who knows :blink:

well, they have got what 4-5 days off. Its too bad, the effort was much better, but maybe it will give a chance for SK74 to get healthy. Cammy and Pleks really could use him - there's nobody else on the lineup that is getting the job done with them.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

i don't think the habs play until wednesday or thursday. It will be interesting to see what place the end up in the standings as the teams who have games in hand on the habs will all be playing. Could be anyehere between 8th to 10th.

They'll probably put Price in next game Halak lost...

What a joke.

It's gonna be Halak. Martin is not an idiot. Even though I firmly believe that Price is the man for the future, you have to go with Halak. Easy decision for Martin.

Really excellent game by the Habs, who forced a lot of turnovers, won more than their share of 1-on-1 battles, and competed as 100% equals with the Conference's top team all night. A game like that gets you thinking that maybe the structure and rigour Martin has been trying to impose are finally sinking in.

That we lost in OT suggests to me, not the difference between a good team and a bad, but between a team with huge reserves of confidence and a team that's still in the 'plucky-but-not-quite-there' stage. The Devils hardly ever lose these kinds of games because 1, they're good, 2, they have Brodeur and 3 they have a winning and deeply self-confident team culture. That's a fine line and if the Habs keep playing like this, they'll get to that point...especially if the Gomez line continues to roll. Anyone who still wants to crap on Gomez after his recent performances had better think again, because right now we have a bona-fide #1 line in the NHL and he's its lynchpin.

A very impressive game by Halak (Parise is an ace and Jaro can't be blamed for that losing goal). RDS pointed out that he's started 7 of our last 10 games. Don't look now, but Halak has quietly become our #1 goalie (or at least our #1A).

I've suggested before that the Habs will likely trade Halak...but later than some, I'm really re-thinking that. This season's trends make this option very problematic. I'd sit down with Halak and ask if he's willing to re-sign for 1-2 more seasons under Martin and his clear commitment to going with whoever he feels is playing better. If Jaro is game, re-sign him. The fact is, it's simply too soon to determine whether or not Halak or Price is The Man for the long term. This being a rebuilding year anyway, it's better to wait for things to clarify themselves before making a decision that could have huge repercussions for the next decade.

For an excellent and fair analysis of this most vexed of questions, check this out:

http://habsloyalist.blogspot.com/2010/01/h...-in-hockey.html

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Really excellent game by the Habs, who forced a lot of turnovers, won more than their share of 1-on-1 battles, and competed as 100% equals with the Conference's top team all night. A game like that gets you thinking that maybe the structure and rigour Martin has been trying to impose are finally sinking in.

That we lost in OT suggests to me, not the difference between a good team and a bad, but between a team with huge reserves of confidence and a team that's still in the 'plucky-but-not-quite-there' stage. The Devils hardly ever lose these kinds of games because 1, they're good, 2, they have Brodeur and 3 they have a winning and deeply self-confident team culture. That's a fine line and if the Habs keep playing like this, they'll get to that point...especially if the Gomez line continues to roll. Anyone who still wants to crap on Gomez after his recent performances had better think again, because right now we have a bona-fide #1 line in the NHL and he's its lynchpin.

A very impressive game by Halak (Parise is an ace and Jaro can't be blamed for that losing goal). RDS pointed out that he's started 7 of our last 10 games. Don't look now, but Halak has quietly become our #1 goalie (or at least our #1A).

I've suggested before that the Habs will likely trade Halak...but later than some, I'm really re-thinking that. This season's trends make this option very problematic. I'd sit down with Halak and ask if he's willing to re-sign for 1-2 more seasons under Martin and his clear commitment to going with whoever he feels is playing better. If Jaro is game, re-sign him. The fact is, it's simply too soon to determine whether or not Halak or Price is The Man for the long term. This being a rebuilding year anyway, it's better to wait for things to clarify themselves before making a decision that could have huge repercussions for the next decade.

For an excellent and fair analysis of this most vexed of questions, check this out:

Good comments I think CC. Gomez certainly caught my eye out there, and there's no question but that we have a bon fide #1 line. I was very impressed with the team tonight and think that Martin is behind more than a couple of come from behind efforts this year.

Notwithstanding legitimate points critical of the team , cap issues etc. I am very pleased with the hockey my team is playing. I'm glad I don't hve to decide what to do with Halak and Price....

Good game.. getting a point against these guys is an accomplishment. Bad break on the winning goal, boys were all caught deep, but at least they were going for it. Halak had no chance on that sweet move by Parise.

MB was great, but the defensive system of NJ was incredible. No one gets in tight with the puck and most of our shots were bad angle tries because there was just nothing open.

Halak did a great job in the 3rd in particular. Several game savers to steal the point against the best team in the league. Given our track record with these guys.. I will take the point thank you!

If Parise doesn't break his stick, he doesn't go to the bench to get a new one. The puck goes out of the zone and the Habs get it. No goal.

Simply a bad break.

The more and more I look at it and Halak won't be traded. If we can't get a decent winger, a real offensive threat, or a top-three defenseman (if we include one in a trade), Halak will remain with the team. The reality is that we will need two good goalies to make the playoffs. Too bad if we lose one at the end of the season. Sometimes you have to pay a high price to achieve an important goal...

Great commentary. Could not have said it better.

Superb game, really enjoyable to watch. Chances, speed, fantastic goaltending and, quite honestly, the Habs were the better defensive club overall on this night, IMO. This game is what I expect to see more and more in terms of the system. It's been a long process to get here, and I'm sure there'll be plenty more stutter steps, but they were awesome tonight.

The D stepped up and challenged at the blue line (and the opposing blue line as well) with forwards cutting back for support which stifled any attacking speed Jersey might have had. The forecheck was, by and large, aggressive and intelligent - and done with speed, which meant that if the puck was turned over, the Habs were already in motion so they could get back quickly. There was real puck possession. Often, rather than dumping on a line change, they maintained possession with patient back-passes. There seemed a maturity and patience to their play that we haven't seen in a while.

Gomez is really *really* starting to stand out, and not just in the attacking zone. He's the best defensive centre I've seen in a very long time in Montreal. I love his two-way play and I love the fact that he was groomed in Jersey. Him and Gionta are two of the best attackers in the league - not because they produce, but because they're really great in their own zone as well. 19 points in his last 20 games, and top notch two-way play. It may not be worth $7M, but it's edging closer and closer, IMO.

It's a shame about that first goal, because Montreal deserved better on this night. Price would have had it. :lol: (Just a dig, just a dig!) Halak was brilliant as well.

The next 20 games should be very interesting. If they can develop and become more and more consistent with the *obvious* system on display last night, this team could surprise a lot of people. It's such a huge shame about Kosty, who was finally rounding into super form, because that gave us two really nasty lines. D'Ago has been better on Plex's wing, but he's still lacking a little je ne sais quoi. If only we could be fully healthy for that stretch - but beggers can't be choosers. :P

Superb game, really enjoyable to watch. Chances, speed, fantastic goaltending and, quite honestly, the Habs were the better defensive club overall on this night, IMO. This game is what I expect to see more and more in terms of the system. It's been a long process to get here, and I'm sure there'll be plenty more stutter steps, but they were awesome tonight.

The D stepped up and challenged at the blue line (and the opposing blue line as well) with forwards cutting back for support which stifled any attacking speed Jersey might have had. The forecheck was, by and large, aggressive and intelligent - and done with speed, which meant that if the puck was turned over, the Habs were already in motion so they could get back quickly. There was real puck possession. Often, rather than dumping on a line change, they maintained possession with patient back-passes. There seemed a maturity and patience to their play that we haven't seen in a while.

Gomez is really *really* starting to stand out, and not just in the attacking zone. He's the best defensive centre I've seen in a very long time in Montreal. I love his two-way play and I love the fact that he was groomed in Jersey. Him and Gionta are two of the best attackers in the league - not because they produce, but because they're really great in their own zone as well. 19 points in his last 20 games, and top notch two-way play. It may not be worth $7M, but it's edging closer and closer, IMO.

It's a shame about that first goal, because Montreal deserved better on this night. Price would have had it. :lol: (Just a dig, just a dig!) Halak was brilliant as well.

The next 20 games should be very interesting. If they can develop and become more and more consistent with the *obvious* system on display last night, this team could surprise a lot of people. It's such a huge shame about Kosty, who was finally rounding into super form, because that gave us two really nasty lines. D'Ago has been better on Plex's wing, but he's still lacking a little je ne sais quoi. If only we could be fully healthy for that stretch - but beggers can't be choosers. :P

It was an excellent game and you're right, the best defensive plays were from the Habs. Still, there were very few great scoring opportunities on both sides. I mean, no break-aways except on the winning goal, and that was pure luck. If Parise doesn't break his stick, he remains in the zone and this is it.

I sure would like to see the team play like that more often. And I hope that D'Agostini will have a few more games with Plex and Cam. Don't forget that AK46 looked pathetic for almost 30 games before he began to produce. I know Dag hasn't done much yet, but he is working hard. He broke several passes and did a good job backchecking. Plex is definitely struggling. Doesn't pass the puck as well. Seems to never see an opportunity to drop the puck to Dag or Cam...

Next game is Thursday. I hope O'Byrne and SK 74 will be back in the line-up. We need all the help we can get. But, at least, we look able to play with bests. Now, we need a few big wins against them to let everybody believe and the possibilities.

Finally, you get a point about Gomez. Just a few weeks ago, I listened to the "experts" at L'Antichambre and couldn't believe what they were saying, particularly that idiot, Michel Bergeron. Hell! they could not see that the man was playing with rookies unable to complete his plays. Sure, he did not look good, but don't you think that Plex looks bad to, right now? A season is 82 games long. There are very few players who don't have ups and downs. Obviously, Gomez needed some time to adjust to his teamates, but now the process is over. I am very pleased by what I have seen in the last three weeks. And to say the truth, I was far from desperate about his play before that. I saw a man working hard, frustrated by the lack of results, but certainly not a lazy one. Quite the contrary, I was impressed by his intensity and speed. His line was not able to produce, execution was not very good, but you could see that there was something there.

JMHO

Edited by JCPetit

What some people are forgetting is that we have a potentially good (great?) goalie in the AHL as well. I don't know where I stand on the whole Halak issue anymore though. He's just been playing so well.

Desjardins is something. Gainey most feel comfortable trading one of the two goalies in Mtl if he obtains solid players in return. The problem is that, as well as he is playing right now, I don't think Halak has great value on the market. IMO, Price is much more valuable in the eyes of the other GMs. Hell! I certainly would not say no for Kovalchuk if the Price is right! :rolleyes:

Salarie cap and contract considerations not accounted for, of course. :huh:

Edited by JCPetit

I really like what White brings to this team..I know he's not going to be a first line winger, but when he's on the ice...he's flying around doing the things I wish Laps would do.

I really like what White brings to this team..I know he's not going to be a first line winger, but when he's on the ice...he's flying around doing the things I wish Laps would do.

He's an excellent prospect. As for Lapierre, he explained two or three days ago that he is just beginning to feel 100% after his surgery (to an ankle, if my memory is good) last summer. If it's true, he should be able to put some numbers on the screen.

BTW, anyone knows why O'Byrne was not dressed. I thought that he was back from B.C. and ready to play.

Edited by JCPetit