Two questions: Cogliano and Higgins?

REV-G

Maybe there's something I'm missing here, but Eklund keeps talking about the Habs being interested in Andrew Cogliano from Edmonton. But when I look at his numbers, he's only scored 5 goals with 6 assists this year. He's a centre, so who would he be an upgrade on and who would we want to give up for him. Edmonton's not going to give him away. He's young and probably has good potential, but why would Eklund keep saying that Montreal is interested in getting him?

Second, Christopher Higgins. What in the world has happened to Higgins? He's got 5 goals, 6 assists and is -12. When he came up with us he was fast, getting better, a threat short-handed, and if I remember he scored around 25 goals one year. So what happened? I always liked him and it's sad to see where he is right now. What do you think he needs to get back to where he was?

Maybe there's something I'm missing here, but Eklund keeps talking about the Habs being interested in Andrew Cogliano from Edmonton. But when I look at his numbers, he's only scored 5 goals with 6 assists this year. He's a centre, so who would he be an upgrade on and who would we want to give up for him. Edmonton's not going to give him away. He's young and probably has good potential, but why would Eklund keep saying that Montreal is interested in getting him?

Second, Christopher Higgins. What in the world has happened to Higgins? He's got 5 goals, 6 assists and is -12. When he came up with us he was fast, getting better, a threat short-handed, and if I remember he scored around 25 goals one year. So what happened? I always liked him and it's sad to see where he is right now. What do you think he needs to get back to where he was?

first dont listen to eklund, that trade dont really work fo us and its not a up grade so i cant see it..i think edmonton is playing for a pick right now ..

Higgins is no more then a good second liner and a real good third liner but like many guy in montreal the media tells them they well be great and they believe it..i recall higgins telling people he well be a 40 goal scorer lol..I think he might come around but he as to learn his role..

Cogliano could be a good player, but I definitely don't see him as the Habs' long term solution down the middle if Gainey intends on keeping Plexo and Gomez as his 1-2 punch (whichever order they fall in) as he has indicated. We need a big, nasty C to compliment those two (and possibly to go head to head against the league's top forwards), as Lapierre definitely isn't enough. That being said, it's not a bad thing to seek out more talent. Maybe Cogliano can play the wing effectively and give us more options going forward.

As for Higgins, I think injuries have really affected his game negatively. When he first came up, I remember him scoring goals in front of the crease, taking abuse and getting his nose dirty. I remember him taking a Souray slapshot off his ankle, collecting the rebound and putting the puck in the net and skate off the ice limping. I think too many injuries has made him leery of getting into those tough areas. From what I understand, Torts is trusting him in defensive situations now after a tough start... he's one of the Rangers' first PK options. But he definitely isn't producing offensively like he used to. He's trying to rebuild his career, but he in a way is reminding me of Kyle Calder, whose career went downwards after a good start with Chicago.

Cogliano is what, 22? And he's scored two seasons of 18 goals. Now he's regressing, but then again so is the entire Oilers' team. He's a C and I'm among those who believe that Gainey is not going to be able to re-sign Plekanec.

Halak for Cogliano would therefore, in fact, make sense for both teams. He'd be an acquisition akin to Pouliot: a young guy with top-6 potential who can play C. We need quality young forwards and we need options for replacing Pleks going forward.

People who think we can bag an unquestionably elite player for Halak are probably dreaming, both because of cap problems and because Halak is simply not widely viewed as worth that. But a player of Cogliano's profile might be realistic.

Therefore, it does make sense.

As for Higgins - who knows? A disappointment, but that's young players for you. It's not an exact science, developing talent.

As for Higgins - who knows? A disappointment, but that's young players for you. It's not an exact science, developing talent.

Seems to me we could use a Higgins right about now. As for the young centre in Edmonton. Why can't anybody get the notion that we need some SIZE up the middle?

Seems to me we could use a Higgins right about now. As for the young centre in Edmonton. Why can't anybody get the notion that we need some SIZE up the middle?

Cogliano can play the wing too, he's not limited to playing C. I think he'd be a decent tertiary scorer which, if A. Kostitsyn comes back healthy and we have 2 scoring lines going, would be next on the list of things to improve.

cogliano is 5'10" and 184 pounds. If Plek can't be signed, I guess he could be an option, but man I wish we could be attached to some rumours for bigger forwards. I would sooner see a straight across trade for Smid. I think he is still developing and could be a top 4 D for sure. He is a left hander though. This doesn't bother me too much knowing that Subaan, Weber, and Carle are all right handers, and NHL almost ready. Smid's salary is also around 800000, i think.

Edited by BCHabnut

cogliano is 5'10" and 184 pounds. If Plek can't be signed, I guess he could be an option, but man I wish we could be attached to some rumours for bigger forwards. I would sooner see a straight across trade for Smid. I think he is still developing and could be a top 4 D for sure. He is a left hander though. This doesn't bother me too much knowing that Subaan, Weber, and Carle are all right handers, and NHL almost ready. Smid's salary is also around 800000, i think.

Not quite, he makes $1.2 M this year, $1.4 next for a cap hit of $1.3 per year.

I would rather keep Halak than trade for Cogliano, even if we are missing Andre K

Straight up, I'd agree with you, but it doesn't seem as if Edmonton's going after Halak anyways. Would I be interested in Cogliano anyways? Sure - I think there could be a mutual fit with Sergei Kostitsyn going the other way (not necessarily straight up either). A pair of players who have underachieved and could stand to benefit from a change of scenery. In that type of situation, I'd be happy to see the Habs go after him.

Straight up, I'd agree with you, but it doesn't seem as if Edmonton's going after Halak anyways. Would I be interested in Cogliano anyways? Sure - I think there could be a mutual fit with Sergei Kostitsyn going the other way (not necessarily straight up either). A pair of players who have underachieved and could stand to benefit from a change of scenery. In that type of situation, I'd be happy to see the Habs go after him.

I forgot about Sergei.

Good call.

I watch a lot of Oilers hockey. it's on local sportsnet. Cogliano has potential, but if we are keeping Plek, I would much rather have SK. He is bigger and plays with so much of an edge. I know size doesn't matter that much but have you guys noticed that the team needs one big talented guy on each of the top 2 lines? AK when he warmed up and Benny are critical to our top 2 lines. Cogliano would add depth, but unless one of the oompa loompas get hurt. he would make our top 6 that much smaller. The oilers are a small team up front for top 6 players as well, except Penner. That;s probably why they are shopping him.

I watch a lot of Oilers hockey. it's on local sportsnet. Cogliano has potential, but if we are keeping Plek, I would much rather have SK. He is bigger and plays with so much of an edge. I know size doesn't matter that much but have you guys noticed that the team needs one big talented guy on each of the top 2 lines? AK when he warmed up and Benny are critical to our top 2 lines. Cogliano would add depth, but unless one of the oompa loompas get hurt. he would make our top 6 that much smaller. The oilers are a small team up front for top 6 players as well, except Penner. That;s probably why they are shopping him.

But the problem with keeping SK is that it seems he doesn't want to stay. So if he's going to end up leaving, getting Cogliano may be a good move.

Question is, how many small guys can we have in our lineup??? two other concerns would be that; while SK hasn't been producing offensively, on the PK he has probably been the 2nd best guy after Pleks, then there's the concern that AK never seems to produce without SK around.

But the problem with keeping SK is that it seems he doesn't want to stay. So if he's going to end up leaving, getting Cogliano may be a good move.

That's based on his demands when he was sent down. If he is given a fair shake, we don't know if he still wants to be moved. Let's face it, Martin did single him out unfairly when there were others who were dogging it (Lapierre, Lats, Dags, MaxPax). You also had other veterns who were taking the same stupid type of penalties that SK was taking (Metro - although Martin at least did demote him to the 4th line at the time).

Question is, how many small guys can we have in our lineup??? two other concerns would be that; while SK hasn't been producing offensively, on the PK he has probably been the 2nd best guy after Pleks, then there's the concern that AK never seems to produce without SK around.

Ya, I know. That's a wierd one. it's like he needs the moral support. Maybe AK doesn't know enough english and SK translates for him. hahaha

I'd rather have O'Sullivan from the Oilers...I think Cogliano could be quite good and a month back I'd have said getting him for Halak would be an good move. However, Pouliot's addition and Halak continuing his strong play make that type of deal a poor one at this point. I'm not sure that Halak for O'Sullivan is a great move either but he's the guy on the Oilers I'd like to see in a Habs uniform. He can play LW and C and would add some scoring depth as a 3rd line C...

The other players that would be interesting to target depending on who you want to deal and what management's plans are over the next year:

O'Sullivan and Cogliano from EDM

David Perron, TJ Oshie and Patrik Berglund from STL

Prospects Braydon Schenn and Colton Tuebert from LA

If you deal Pleks I think you want to try to get a couple big name prospects like the last 2 kids...could be an interesting move to deal Pleks in this type of manner and try to replace him by dealing Halak in another package to try and replace his production...might not improve the Habs chances this year but would better the organization's depth overall.

- This year I'd look to move Halak in some sort of package to acquire a guy like Perron...maybe a guy like D'Ago needs to be included...I won't pretend to know if Halak is worth Perron straight up.

- I'd also knock on the Oilers door to see if I could acquire O'Sullivan somehow...maybe some combination of Lapierre, SKost or D'Ago, and a 1st round pick??? Maybe a prospect instead of SKost or D'Ago??

- If I didn't think I could re-sign Plekanec I'd deal him for a couple of D prospects like Schenn and Tuebert (since LA also has Hickey in the minors and Doughty plus Johnson already in the NHL they may be willing to entertain something like this). This would also allow the Habs to focus on offensive players in the next couple drafts...since they'd have Subban, Weber, Fischer and the 2 additional, quality, D prospects.

- I'd shop Hamrlik, Mara and Laraque this year to see what I could get. This would be to primarily clear out salary (about 8.5M off the cap) to possibly re-sign Pleks and make room on the D for Weber and Subban next season.

- I also suspect that after re-signing Pleks and Price that they'd still have a few million left to try and sign a D if they want a vet to help replace Hamrlik in the event they feel Weber, Subban or O'Byrne can't play regular minutes.

Next years lines:

Kostsytsin - Gomez - Gionta

Cammalleri - Pleks??? - Perron

Pouliot - O'Sullivan - Pacioretty

4th line would include whatever is left of Moen, Lapierre, Skost, D'Ago, Maxwell, Stewart, etc...try and do a cheap energy line.

Top 8 D: Markov, Gorges, Spacek, Gill, Subban, Weber, O'Byrne, FA signing...Carle might be in the mix too.

That's a nice combination of youth with 2-3 years experience, quality veterans, and a lot of talent all around...lots of former 1st rounders.

If Pleks had to be dealt then O'Sullivan is very capable of playing 2nd line C...only question is if the Habs have the players to get both Perron and an O'Sullivan without trading a current top 6 forward. I think the Habs have the players to make it work...

Edited by Zowpeb

O'Sullivan is young, talented and has been a teammate of Cammy (correct?), so I'd rate him an acceptable return for Halak. But that -21 rating really does have to raise your eyebrows, even if it *is* on Edmonton.

After the last couple of games, though, I'd expect Halak to stay put for the time being...Price has been decent but failed to make the statement he needed to make.