What it will take to resign Pleks/Halak/Price et el?

hab29RETIRED

Gill being waived? Are you nuts, he does exactly what he was brought in to do. 3rd pair guy with size to kill penalties. He will be an excellent partner for Subban next year.

MAB and Mara won't be back.

They still need to move one of Hamrlik, Spacek, Goges or O'Byrne to make room for Subban.

There better be a plan in place for Pleks as well, if they don't move him he better be resigned, you can't lose an assest like that for nothing again.

Gill being waived? Are you nuts, he does exactly what he was brought in to do. 3rd pair guy with size to kill penalties. He will be an excellent partner for Subban next year.

MAB and Mara won't be back.

They still need to move one of Hamrlik, Spacek, Goges or O'Byrne to make room for Subban.

There better be a plan in place for Pleks as well, if they don't move him he better be resigned, you can't lose an assest like that for nothing again.

The really interesting thing for Habs fans this summer is not likely to be shiny new acquisitions, it's going to be how Gauthier manages the cap (assuming Pleks can be re-signed - which he'd better be). You have to bring up Subban next year and give him a meaningful role as a major rushing defenceman; this is the only way we can compensate for the loss of MAB and/or Spacek. and/or (God forbid) Hamrlik. But which pieces do you ship out? Mara is obvious, but the rest require some real judicious decision-making. It's going to be fascinating to see how Gauthier juggles all of these pins.

Gauthier and agent Rick Curran reportedly talked contract during the Olympic break and mutually decided to wait until after Wednesday's deadline to resume discussions. Gauthier refused to elaborate on the status of those talks any further.

"I have no intention of giving a play-by-play of our discussions," Gauthier said. "What I will say is that I am satisfied with where they stand."

From TSN.ca

The really interesting thing for Habs fans this summer is not likely to be shiny new acquisitions, it's going to be how Gauthier manages the cap (assuming Pleks can be re-signed - which he'd better be). You have to bring up Subban next year and give him a meaningful role as a major rushing defenceman; this is the only way we can compensate for the loss of MAB and/or Spacek. and/or (God forbid) Hamrlik. But which pieces do you ship out? Mara is obvious, but the rest require some real judicious decision-making. It's going to be fascinating to see how Gauthier juggles all of these pins.

Mara is gone after this season, no need to ship out..only on a one year deal. I think a pairing of Hammer/Suban would be ideal...have Markov with Gorges/Rhino, and pair the other with Gill. I guess that'd leave Spacey out if there was a possibility to trade him.

I'm of the mindset that both Hamrlik and Spacek should go. That's $9M right there to be used to sign Plekanec and Price/Halak to extenions. As for the defence, it's time to go with youth: Subban, Carle, Weber, O'Byrne to play with mainstays Markov, Gill, Gorges. Pair one vet with one rookie.

Edited by JGC21

I'm of the mindset that both Hamrlik and Spacek should go. That's $9M right there to be used to sign Plekanec and Price/Halak to extenions. As for the defence, it's time to go with youth: Subban, Carle, Weber, O'Byrne to play with mainstays Markov, Gill, Gorges. Pair one vet with one rookie.

Yeah, but that's a recipe for total disaster. I can see ONE of those guys (Hammer or Spacek) being moved out of sheer cap necessity. I think Hammer is the more likely to go because he's simply a better player and represents less of an onerous cap hit beyond next season. Then you cross your fingers that Spacek, used on his correct side, can help to fill the Hulk-sized void left by Hamrlik, who is a vastly underrated, absolute rock for our defence. That leaves O'Byrne and two slots for rookies. But if we go with three rookies on defence plus O'Byrne we're looking at a bottom-10 finish, guaranteed, and probably a significant regression for our goalies. No thanks.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Yeah, but that's a recipe for total disaster. I can see ONE of those guys (Hammer or Spacek) being moved out of sheer cap necessity. I think Hammer is the more likely to go because he's simply a better player and represents less of an onerous cap hit beyond next season. Then you cross your fingers that Spacek, used on his correct side, can help to fill the Hulk-sized void left by Hamrlik, who is a vastly underrated, absolute rock for our defence. That leaves O'Byrne and two slots for rookies. But if we go with three rookies on defence plus O'Byrne we're looking at a bottom-10 finish, guaranteed, and probably a significant regression for our goalies. No thanks.

I really believe that spaceman would be a different player on the left side. He has shown this for years. I hope they can trade Hammer. As much as it hurts, a left D has to go. His high salary may be hard to unload though. PG may have to make some tough decisions.

I'm not sure I agree. Markov and Gorges are solid D-men and while Gill isn't Paul Coffey, he's still effective. There's no use spending $9M on aging D when the Habs need to ice 3 solid lines up front. You're forgetting that as of right now, Mtl only has Gomez and Lapierre locked in as centres for next year. That's scary! I'm a big fan of building up the middle and I believe 2 top centres, 2 top D-men, and 1 excellent goalie is the way to go.

Simply put, you can't build a team with $17M+ tied up in 4 defensemen, when 3 (Hamrlik, Spacek, Gill) are over 35 years old. No way.

Edited by JGC21

I think you keep Hammer around for the development of Subban, the same way are you want a vet goalie to help a rookie goalie out. Hammer looked very good playing with Subban this year, albeit a small sample size, but what was shown was promising. I've been super disappointed with Spacey this year.

Subban played with Gill for 2 games. PP excluded of course

Spacek has been ok, offensively disppointing, pretty solid defensively, he is playing the wrong side as well.

Are you sure? I remember Subban taking a lot of shifts with Hammer. I knew Gill started with Subban cause of the famous Hal quote "I'll give you the puck and you do your thing".

actually, he started with gill then moved off the 3rd pairing and on the 2nd with hammer when we started getting blown out by philly. the majority of his shifts though were with gill

Ahh...well, his more memorable moments were with Hamrlik heh.