Headshots

Doktor Kosmos

Rotten play. Didn't look to me like his elbow was out, but still.

Headshots need to go. I don't understand how you can possibly see it any other way.

Looks like a shoulder, but still, it was unnecessary and Savard was in a vulnerable position. Headshots need to go.

I'm not sure suspensions are the way to go; and I don't think that the PA or the competition committee would agree to significant increases in suspensions (I mean, how would these guys pay for all their mortgages and car payments if they kept getting docked money!!). I suspect the NHL will look at adopting other measures to deal with head shots and suspensions will only be a minor aspect. Penalties won't be hugely increased either. I think we're talking about more significant changes to the way the game dealt with in terms of respect.

Personally, what I'd like to see is the league making the head 'out of bounds.' That includes the stupid face washing when players are irritated. More importantly, any play where a player can be hit when he's either unaware of the impending doom or he's in an awkward position will be outlawed. There will, of course be suspensions and penalties, but I think those will be short-term responses as the league adapts to a new 'absolute' rule where any contact with heads is illegal.

Ultimately, my guess is that the players as a whole will buy into any new anti-head policy because, bottom line, lives and livelihoods are at stake. While there will be minute and game penalties, headshots will diminish rapidly because the league - and hockey in general - can no longer sustain all the consequences if they continue.

The problem with outlawing any type of hit to the head is height difference. Will tall players like Chara and Komisarek have to crouch down on every check they make since their shoulders are at head level for most players? As for awkward positions, it seems to me that players often put themselves in those positions on purpose to draw a penalty. How many times do you see guys risk injury by turning their back to a hit at the last moment trying to draw a boarding call?

In my opinion, the most important hit to get rid of is the late hit. How many guys do you see getting destroyed after they've already made a pass, shot, or dump in? Sure, sometimes the player is already committed to the hit and can't stop and that wouldn't be penalized. But most of the time, there is plenty of time for the player to avoid the hit and not go in full speed. On this play, for example, Cooke was already committed to the hit when Savard shot, but he had time to pull up somewhat and not destroy him. I'd say that a very high proportion of concussions come on either this type of play or boarding.

Edited by Fanpuck33

It's pretty simple, really. To hit a guy, you should be facing him.

And guys don't hit to the chest very much anymore. It's the Scott Stevens syndrome... see enough highlights of his hits and everyone copies. Guys used to hit shoulder to shoulder, shoulder to chest, hip to hip, etc. Well, they still do, but not as much. Hits tend to have an upward trajectory to them now: the equivelant of an uppercut punch. They need to get low and explode forwards rather than upwards.

The problem with outlawing any type of hit to the head is height difference. Will tall players like Chara and Komisarek have to crouch down on every check they make since their shoulders are at head level for most players?

They generally do crouch down already, or use their hands more. Shoves/forearms to the chest should be tolerated a lot more than they currently are. They aren't dangerous plays, keep them in the game. Guys like Chara and Pronger also have to be more careful with keeping their sticks low, so it's no different for them to keep their hits low.

Edited by saskhab

(I mean, how would these guys pay for all their mortgages and car payments if they kept getting docked money!!).

If you get yourself suspended, that's your own problem. Not something the league should take into consideration.

If you get yourself suspended, that's your own problem. Not something the league should take into consideration.

lol It was a facetious comment. When there was a lockout or strike or whatever in the NBA, I remember some doofus player actually saying that. He came on the news and asked how he was supposed to pay for his three mortgages and the payments on his cars.

I still support a total overhaul of the suspension system. Right now, it's a joke. Start giving out significant suspensions for significantly dirty hits. These 2-5 game suspensions for brutal hits are a joke. Next, they need to do a much better job of punishing intent, and not just results. As it stands, most of the time you only see suspensions for hits that result in injuries. Start giving out a minimum of 10-20 games for head shots and hits from behind, regardless of whether an injury is inflicted. In cases where injuries do happen, start with the 10-20 suspension for the hit itself and then suspend the offending player indefinitely until the injured player is able to resume playing. Maybe then guys will start thinking twice about playing dirty.

And of course, get rid of the instigator.

lol It was a facetious comment. When there was a lockout or strike or whatever in the NBA, I remember some doofus player actually saying that. He came on the news and asked how he was supposed to pay for his three mortgages and the payments on his cars.

lol Made me think of Mike Modano and his comments about not being able to feed his dog during the last NHL strike (lockout?). :lol:

Read this status on Facebook from a French workmate who doesn't know much about hockey. *was written in french though...

Just read in the newspaper that the NHL is "considering" prevent the headshots during their games. Well... Wasn't it already forbidden just like every other sports ???"

:lol:

It's clear that with the enhancements to these athletes skills through innovation, equipment technology and proper nutrition that these players are faster than in the old days. That's not to say that some players in the old days couldn't skate with equal speed. I refer to the ability to accelerate laterally, with different moves. Hits like this are bound to happen and more frequently which is exactly what is happening.

People talk of motive and wonder about the motives of Cooke and some wonder just what he truly intended. Personally, I'm stumped. I do lean to the side that it was dirty but what the motives are, in that split second. There's not a lot of time to make a decision. It's at the instinct level. Savard was about to shoot, Cooke reacted. It happens so fast. Anyone who plays the game knows about the dangers. It's one thing to watch it on TV but in real life in feels like you are flying. At top speeds some NHL'ers can go as high as 40 kph (In the 1998 All Star Skills Contest, Scott Neidermeyer hit speeds of 45 kph). Head shots at 60 kph can kill (head on collision X 2 players going 30 kph directly towards each other) and that's probably what Sutter experienced when he was nailed by Doug Weight.

Imagine a combined 45 kph leading to a total speed of a whopping 90 kph. 55 mph is no joke!

Someone will get killed I'm sad to say.

I have no clue how they are going to stop or diminish this. It's never easy making rules that must be considered before instincts. Snap of the finger is all the time you have.

Cooke: "Oh no, there's Savard, he's going to shoot, let me consult my notes. What was that rule? What should I have for dinner...um?"......SAVARD SCORES!

They can lessen it but I doubt they'll ever solve it.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

Maybe it also time for teammates to give their linemates a "heads up" when they see a guy headed for their teammate......I know it's a quick game etc...but if teammates can look out for each other and yell out to warn them there "might" be a few less of these kinds of hits...

Just a thought.........

Dump the instigator maybe? It's already been debated that the instigator ban led to more high sticks, butt ends and cheap shots. The NHL doesn't want the instigator because fights will increase but headshots aren't exactly getting greeted with enthusiasm by the critics of hockey either.

But they won't. Besides, it might make the current NHL into the goon show. Queue for Georges Laraque to do the moonwalk with a smile!

What to do? It beats me.

Dump the instigator maybe? It's already been debated that the instigator ban led to more high sticks, butt ends and cheap shots. The NHL doesn't want the instigator because fights will increase but headshots aren't exactly getting greeted with enthusiasm by the critics of hockey either.

But they won't. Besides, it might make the current NHL into the goon show. Queue for Georges Laraque to do the moonwalk with a smile!

What to do? It beats me.

There were plenty of cheapshots before the instigator, that's why there were plenty of fights. It wasn't a deterrant, and you had a bunch of teams with 3 or 4 goons on them.

Besides, they hardly call the instigator anymore. And it's not because people aren't instigating fights... refs have consciously stopped calling it. So there is only an instigator in name only right now, and headshots are worse than ever.

All ditching the instigator accomplishes is more fights, and some goonery where guys jump unwilling players not unlike Bertuzzi on Moore.

They just don't seem to get it: Have a look at this hit on Seabrook.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=314483

If I were Colin Campbell, that would be 10-15 games given the length he skated and the deliberate hit to the head.

The NHL needs to sort this shit out before someone gets killed.

They just don't seem to get it: Have a look at this hit on Seabrook.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=314483

If I were Colin Campbell, that would be 10-15 games given the length he skated and the deliberate hit to the head.

The NHL needs to sort this shit out before someone gets killed.

The way Seabrook fell down... that was shocking

I hate to see things like that

The way Seabrook fell down... that was shocking

I hate to see things like that

It was a tough check, but as the commentator says; isnt he selling it? Im not sure, its kinda weird.

I know he left the game, concussion? Havent read it so far.

But yeah terrible hit, looks like its getting worse and worse.

It was a tough check, but as the commentator says; isnt he selling it? Im not sure, its kinda weird.

I know he left the game, concussion? Havent read it so far.

But yeah terrible hit, looks like its getting worse and worse.

"The Commentator" is former Habs goalie Bryan Hayward, and he's an idiot. He later apologized for the comment, but the fact he thought Seabrook was selling it was homerism (he's the Ducks' colour man) and idiocy of the largest degree. Pretty much all Ducks fans hate their announcers from what I can gather.

Yep, Seabrook was concussed. Something that combines 3 different penalties (charging, interference, boarding) with a headshot, a predatory/retaliatory hit (read: intent to injure) by a repeat offender (Wiz has been suspended twice) gets you only 1/10 of the season.