TV, NBC, night, afternoon, etc.

Fanpuck33

Let's go with a hypothetical. Let's say that the Caps and Wizards each had their own building and had games scheduled for the same day. The Bullets game gets scheduled first and gets the evening slot. The Caps happen to get to choose between playing in the afternoon and evening. Should they be forced to go head-to-head against the Wizards game because of the market in Montreal?

I think both leagues should cooperate and make their schedules according to the 3 markets or adjust their schedule if the other league already started their own playoffs. By setting your game at the same time as the other sport, you don't help your visibility at all and you maybe ruin the other league's one.

People just don't watch TV on Friday and Saturday nights down here. TV shows go to Friday nights to die and most networks show old movies or re-runs from earlier in the week on Saturday night. I think it sucks for people who don't like going out all the time on weekends, but such is life.

Friday night is somewhat popular between 8pm and 9pm here but not as much as in the last 5-6 years. Saturday is hockey time (so very popular) and sunday 8pm to 10pm is our biggest tv night of the week.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think both leagues should cooperate and make their schedules according to the 3 markets or adjust their schedule if the other league already started their own playoffs. By setting your game at the same time as the other sport, you don't help your visibility at all and you maybe ruin the other league's one.

You think the NHL and NBA give a damn about each other? All they are to each other is competition.

You think the NHL and NBA give a damn about each other? All they are to each other is competition.

I think they give a damn about their own interest and their own show rates yeah. It might be good to oppose Cavaliers-Magic against Pens-Flyers, but not Pistons-Magic against Wings-Florida...

We're talking about the NHL here, who has proven that it is more than happy to bend over and do whatever NBC asks. I mean, last year they scheduled back-to-back games in the finals just to make NBC happy. They also allowed NBC to carry games 1, 2, 5, 6, and 7 instead of games 3-7, leading to the possibility that the Cup could have been won without being on network television in the US.

In hockey world :

Habs > NBC > NHL

It's true for Toronto too.

Man, now I really wish they'd scheduled an afternoon game just to see people get all bent out of shape about it. I think that'd be hysterical seeing riots because people are horrified to watch afternoon hockey. The only people who could have a legitimate beef with an afternoon game would be a Pacific or Mountain time zone team, because then the game would be starting in the AM locally, which would be ridiculous.

With all due respect, i think you don't realize that Saturday night games are a religion over here. It's a tradition. As kids we were raised that way. I remember begging my father to be allowed to watch the 3rd period(when I was 6 or 7 years old). Back in the 80's, the habs used to play at 8PM on Saturday nights...so the game would finish at 10:30 or 11PM. For a 6 year old kid, that was late!

In short, afternoon games are an aberration for us!

I would LOVE that! The NFL (and NCAA also) has screwed over young and working class viewers for years by airing games at night on "school nights." They play college football all year on Saturday afternoons - why play the championship game on a weeknight? 95% of NFL games are played on Sunday afternoons - why play play the biggest game of the season at night? I was in high school before I got to see the end of the Super Bowl for the first time and college when I got to see the end of the BCS title game (which starts 2 hours after even the Super Bowl - on a weeknight). Play both games on a weekend at 4 PM Eastern. Then it's not starting at 10 AM on the West Coast and East Coast viewers don't have to lose sleep to see the end.

Just like you've been used to watching NFL games on Sunday afternoons, we've been used to watching Hockey games in the evening!

Just like you've been used to watching NFL games on Sunday afternoons, we've been used to watching Hockey games in the evening!

Don't get me wrong - hockey is played at night all season long and I agree that it belongs at night.

I've never said that they should play in the afternoon. I've simply been saying that I'm surprised that NBC didn't make them play an afternoon game and that it would be asinine for RDS to have any say in when a team can play a game.

Edited by Fanpuck33

I've never said that they should play in the afternoon. I've simply been saying that I'm surprised that NBC didn't make them play an afternoon game and that it would be asinine for RDS to have any say in when a team can play a game.

How much does NBC pay the NHL to broadcast a few games a year? 2-3 million$? I thik RDS pays over 20 millions for the rights to the habs.

In any case, I'm just happy that all games are in the evening! :clap:

Edited by Habsfan

How much does NBC pay the NHL to broadcast a few games a year? 2-3 million$? I thik RDS pays over 20 millions for the rights to the habs.

All they give the NHL is a share of any advertising profits. If NBC doesn't make any money showing games, than neither does the league. Hence why the league is so willing to bend over and do whatever NBC wants. Stuff like playing back-to-back games in the Finals, not allowing viewing parties outside of arenas, potentially missing the Cup winning game by showing games 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 instead of games 3-7 of the Finals, forcing teams to play afternoon games up until the Finals, etc.

Why are we talking about NBC? They aren't showing this series. Versus is. NBC is showing Boston-Buffalo on Sat. afternoon. Versus is picking up this night game. NBC is also picking up Phoenix-Detroit on Sunday.

Does Detroit do better on NBC than Chicago? I was surprised by that decision, but I guess Phoenix is a much bigger market than Nashville, so that might have something to do with it.

Boston is a traditional market. They do decently in the ratings. Washington does well in Washington. Boston has fans throughout the country. The markets are about the same size as well. Plus, Buffalo is still an American team, even if they're a small market. It makes sense they'd show that series over Montreal-Washington.

Why are we talking about NBC? They aren't showing this series. Versus is. NBC is showing Boston-Buffalo on Sat. afternoon. Versus is picking up this night game. NBC is also picking up Phoenix-Detroit on Sunday.

Read the first post in the thread.

All I know is that....

...The NBA on NBC was epic ; NBA on ESPN/ABC is awful, just awful

Thanks God for TNT

By the way, the CBC guys must be kicking themselves for not broadcasting the Capitals- Habs series...... Buahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Edited by rafikz

Read the first post in the thread.

I did, I'm just surprised this thread lasted this long without someone pointing out the obvious. The Caps aren't that big of a national draw. They never show the Caps unless they're playing a more traditional US market.

Detroit and Chicago are bigger draws than Washington.

I did, I'm just surprised this thread lasted this long without someone pointing out the obvious. The Caps aren't that big of a national draw. They never show the Caps unless they're playing a more traditional US market.

Detroit and Chicago are bigger draws than Washington.

You've hit two of the biggest draws right on the head. However, Washington and Pittsburgh are right there with them. Crosby and Ovechkin have just as much draw a a big market team. If you ask an average American to name a hockey player, 95% of them will name one of those two guys. People who don't follow hockey know who those guys are and will watch them. One of my best friends barely follows hockey at all, but his favourite athlete is Ovechkin. Aside from the Winter Classic, only one game broadcast by NBC this year did not include one of those four teams.

Philadelphia vs. Washington

Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia

Detroit vs. Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh vs. Washington

Detroit vs. Chicago

Washington vs. Chicago

NY Rangers vs. Boston

Detroit vs. Philadelphia

Boston vs. Washington

I haven't been able to find a legitimate source on the topic, but the NHL on NBC page on Wikipedia has a note about NBC having first choice concerning games and times, trumping CBC and TSN. You would imagine that means RDS as well.

Edited by Fanpuck33

Yeah, Washington got 4 games, but it was against 4 teams that also had multiple games on their broadcasts with large fanbases (Philly, Pittsburgh, Chicago and Boston). NBC also turned down Washington for the Winter Classic this year, thinking they wouldn't be a big enough draw.

NBC obviously feels more comfortable showing series involving two American teams rather than just one. They were probably cheering for the Rangers last Sunday, hoping for a Rangers/Caps rematch. If it had been possible, a Caps/Flyers one would've been right up their alley as well.

It's pretty safe to say that the most marketable NHL teams in the USA right now are Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Philly, Boston, the Rangers, and the Caps. The Caps are the new kids in this group, that's for sure.

Personnaly, i'm not someone who gets mad in life in general. It takes A LOT (and i mean A freaking Lot) to get me angry. That being said, like I said in my very first post, I would not be bugged if they decided to set this game at 1pm, I would be OUT OF MY MIND man, ######ing pissed ! IMHO, setting this game at 1pm is a reason to riot almost as good as suspending Rocket Richard.

Let the riots begin! Game 2: Sunday at 2 PM! :lol:

For some reason, a 2PM game on Sunday isn't as bad as a 2Pm game on a Saturday.

If we make it to game 5 (which should be nest saturday, then I hope it,ll be at 7PM and not in the afternoon!

If we make it to game 5 (which should be nest saturday, then I hope it,ll be at 7PM and not in the afternoon!

Don't have to worry about any afternoon games next weekend. NBC is showing the TPC at Sawgrass, golf's unofficial 5th major. This weekend, however, the Boston vs. Philly game will have to compete with the Kentucky Derby. If that game goes overtime, they'll very likely cutaway to the Derby pre-game show like they did last year (or maybe it was the year before).

Don't have to worry about any afternoon games next weekend. NBC is showing the TPC at Sawgrass, golf's unofficial 5th major. This weekend, however, the Boston vs. Philly game will have to compete with the Kentucky Derby. If that game goes overtime, they'll very likely cutaway to the Derby pre-game show like they did last year (or maybe it was the year before).

They bumped the start time of the Boston/Philly game to noon, not sure when the Derby coverage starts but I would hope by bumping it up they're at least trying to avoid that embarrassment again.

They bumped the start time of the Boston/Philly game to noon, not sure when the Derby coverage starts but I would hope by bumping it up they're at least trying to avoid that embarrassment again.

Where do you see that they've changed the game time? NHL.com and both team websites still say 12:30.

Habsfan is right. A riot = 2pm on saturday. La Soirée du Hockey is not on sunday... Sunday is our big tv night here too. I'm happy for our shows, I support our tv, our comedians.

The thing who really sucks is that I have my B-day party on saturday night, so at 2pm, I will have my breakfast during the game... Hockey + breakfast is not a good combination IMO. :lol:

You guys really follow horse racing in the US ?? You are weird. :P

Where do you see that they've changed the game time? NHL.com and both team websites still say 12:30.

I forget where I saw it - most likely on a TV station where the coverage will start at 12; they just called it game time instead.