GDT: Game 1, Montreal vs Philadelphia

dlbalr

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Figures, Gomez breakaway, not even close. I don't think he has scored on a breakaway all season :huh:

Yeah, definitely not sharp. And yet for not sharp, the numbers look not bad. 11-4 shots and 59% on the face-offs.

Nice rush by Gomez!

He's great when he is setting up other's with the breakaway pass, but he just can't seem to finish. What have been great to go into the intermission tied.

Shots on goal are pretty deceptive right now - a lot of shots from way outside.

Sshot it right in the basket.. he was rushed by the D, but that puck needs to go top corner.

Figures, Gomez breakaway, not even close. I don't think he has scored on a breakaway all season :huh:

Shots on goal are pretty deceptive right now - a lot of shots from way outside.

I agree that they are deceptive -- many of them not so dangerous, though more than one could have gone in, had it deflected slightly different. And Flyers have had dangerous traffic in front of our net.

But this is nothing like Game 1 in the last series -- the boys are in it, they're not back on their heels, they're not being overwhelmed. No, this won't be an easy series but after one period I'm definitely not losing hope!

Pretty lacklustre period. :huh: However, it's not unusual to see that when a team's had a bit of time off and when they're trying to feel out the opposition; the only guy who looked interesting out there was Subban. I didn't think Philly looked terribly sharp either. The Habs are still looking for some spark that will snap the game into focus. Hopefully it won't be a second Philly goal. :puke:

I really like Gomez as a player and have been defending him all year. But really, is there any top-6 player in all of hockey with a more ineffectual shot? How this guy ever scored 33 goals remains as great a mystery to science as the physics of the flight of the bumblebee.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Philly wasn't that great against Boston either. Boston was terrible.

If the habs get sharp and start making passes, they will rip the flyers apart. Philly has one goal by interfering with Halak's glove so he couldn't catch the puck.

I hope the Habs storm out in the 2nd and bury a few. Burst Leighton's bubble.

Sigh.. right to the net..

I am starting to worry.. when Washington drove the net, they killed us. They simply didn't have the players who could do it..Philly is all about scoring from the blue ice. If Montreal can't take away the slot, or SCORE, we are going to have a rough series.

how the hell is that a call against Laps???

well, this is starting to look like game one against Pitts.. just simply out played. two dumb penalties and both are in our net.

My only source of hope is that they made adjustments last time, but don't they scout these teams???

Yup... another PP goal with a screen.. Game one all over again.. here comes Price...

This is all about the team not competing and being stupid.

One really annoys me is they refuse to get traffic in front of the other team's goalie... This is basic hockey stuff. I am not sure what the game plan is..

Big difference in where the habs are shooting from and the traffic they're getting versus Philly. THis is worse then game 1 against the Pens.

Pretty lacklustre period. :huh: However, it's not unusual to see that when a team's had a bit of time off and when they're trying to feel out the opposition; the only guy who looked interesting out there was Subban. I didn't think Philly looked terribly sharp either. The Habs are still looking for some spark that will snap the game into focus. Hopefully it won't be a second Philly goal. :puke:

I really like Gomez as a player and have been defending him all year. But really, is there any top-6 player in all of hockey with a more ineffectual shot? How this guy ever scored 33 goals remains as great a mystery to science as the physics of the flight of the bumblebee.

I don't buy the time off argument. When a team comes out flat after no time off they are tired.

(see Pittsburgh Game One). When a team comes out flat after a layoff they are rusty because they

have had too much time off (see Philadelphia Game One).

Tonight is also why I don't buy the Halak has taken the Habs to this point in the playoffs. It is about support,

and when a goaltender doesn't get support he is exposed. This is a repeat of Game one against Pittsburgh.

Goaltenders cannot stop pucks they cannot see.

Leighton is scrap heap garbage. He has stunk at every NHL stop of his career and miraculously plays well when

he gets to Philly with a monster defense. This is why I feared the Flyers more than the Bruins. They can shut down

the offense and have guys who can bury their chances. The Pens/Caps had no concern about stopping the Habs,

Pronger alone changes the tone.

The game plan is simple... out skate philly.. if they are in the slot, knock them down. finish your own checks.

If you are going to put Moen, Metro, or Darche on the top line, they better be standing in the slot causing mayhem.

Next game they need to get Obyrne in and i'd like Martin to FINALLY kiss and makeup with SK74. They need someone with size to counter the flyers big forwards and the Philly dmen are MUCH better then Pens and Caps, they need some more offensive skill up front.