M-A Bergeron is healthy..

sakiqc

M-A Bergeron was given the green light from doctors. His knee is 100% healthy.. will Gauthier sign him?

If they wait for Markov's exam results and/or give Weber a week or two to see how he fares, they might lose their chance on MAB.

I have only been able to watch a few minutes of Habs games this week. How is Weber looking?

MAB ready: http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/310515.html

If there was ever a move that I didn't want to happen it would be to sign MAB. Sure, he could potentially help the PP, but he is absolutely brutal defensively. The ends don't justify the means on this one. He was a sexy -12 in 19 playoff games last year and looks like a beer league player the way the opposition goes around him as if he weren't there. I can't remember a player I've cursed as much as MAB last year. No need to panic at this point in the season, Picard is playing well and Weber hasn't had a chance yet.

If someone really, I mean really, wanted Bergeron, they'd have signed him before the season started and just IR'ed him. The number of teams who will even call to inquire can probably be counted on one hand and that may be even excluding the thumb. He's a fringe d-man who can shoot. Given the right situation, he can thrive, he showed that last year. Montreal isn't that situation now, they need a minute muncher to spell the trio of aging vets and Bergeron, fresh off ACL surgery which probably will hinder his skating, can't do that.

Someone will sign him, but right now, I'd be surprised if it was Montreal unless they've completely given up on Weber.

Watching the failed Weber-as-a-forward experiment, I'm even more so inclined to want to see Martin roll 4 complete forward lines and stick with 6 D. MAB isn't good enough to be one of those 6 D so he can sign elsewhere. An amazing shot isn't enough to warrant a roster spot in my opinion.

Habs will not make an offer for Bergeron. No surprise really.

http://twitter.com/renhockey/status/7910474318356482

Good to hear.

Side note: is it really so hard to tweet something coherent? This one sounds like someone is ordering Gauthier to call MAB's agent.

Good to hear.

Side note: is it really so hard to tweet something coherent? This one sounds like someone is ordering Gauthier to call MAB's agent.

This was his translation of his french tweet, that one seemed more coherent, at least to a non-french speaker like myself.

I liked Bergeron. He did some good things for us last year (13 goals, helped the PP), however, like illWill said, he was -12 in 19 games last year. Glad to hear the habs won't sign him!

Watching the failed Weber-as-a-forward experiment, I'm even more so inclined to want to see Martin roll 4 complete forward lines and stick with 6 D. MAB isn't good enough to be one of those 6 D so he can sign elsewhere. An amazing shot isn't enough to warrant a roster spot in my opinion.

Too early to say that the experiment has failed IMO. We will Weber on the wing again, I am quite sure.

Too early to say that the experiment has failed IMO. We will Weber on the wing again, I am quite sure.

If the winger is only going to play 6 minutes per game like Darche did last night, may as well give Weber the odd game here and there in that role knowing he could give the vets a shift off here and there too.

And I am equally sure that he won't work out again. :)

Weber is still learning the NHL game from a D perspective. To have him try and learn the wing position at the NHL level just seems unreasonable to me. It's a matter of personal preference, I suppose. I prefer the Habs to have competent wingers that have experience and are comfortable in the position. Silly, I know. ^_^

That being said, I'd like to see how Weber plays on D when someone needs a night off.

And I am equally sure that he won't work out again. :)

Weber is still learning the NHL game from a D perspective. To have him try and learn the wing position at the NHL level just seems unreasonable to me. It's a matter of personal preference, I suppose. I prefer the Habs to have competent wingers that have experience and are comfortable in the position. Silly, I know. ^_^

That being said, I'd like to see how Weber plays on D when someone needs a night off.

Don't worry, somebody will get hurt or sick. It always happens. Weber will get his chance.

MAB has one of the best shots in the league. He surely could have helped our struggling PP.

MAB will join the growing list of ex-Habs that were left off as scrap and went to be very successful elsewhere.

MAB has one of the best shots in the league. He surely could have helped our struggling PP.

MAB will join the growing list of ex-Habs that were left off as scrap and went to be very successful elsewhere.

If and when he finds a taker, maybe, but I'd be surprised to see him in an NHL uniform before the new year. He has a good shot but can the Habs afford to have a d-man who can only play about 8 minutes a game? Especially with Markov out, they simply can't. As for recent ex-Habs left off the scrap heap, there aren't too many successful ones...some yes, but a lot have seemingly vanished.

If and when he finds a taker, maybe, but I'd be surprised to see him in an NHL uniform before the new year. He has a good shot but can the Habs afford to have a d-man who can only play about 8 minutes a game? Especially with Markov out, they simply can't. As for recent ex-Habs left off the scrap heap, there aren't too many successful ones...some yes, but a lot have seemingly vanished.

What about Robidas, Bouillon and Beauchemin?

The best example is Robidas, who is a beast with the Stars.. QB on the PP, eats minutes, league leading hitter etc

What about Robidas, Bouillon and Beauchemin?

The best example is Robidas, who is a beast with the Stars.. QB on the PP, eats minutes, league leading hitter etc

Robidas and Beauchemin were youngsters when they were let go; Bergeron is 30, a UFA for the 3rd time in his career, and coming off major knee surgery. Just a bit of difference. :) As for Bouillon, he's a 3rd pairing d-man, still a legit NHL'er, but hardly anyone worth worrying too much about. Just like Bergeron, not worth worrying about - he'll do fine I'm sure in a niche role but the Habs' needs on D exceed that of a niche d-man.

M-A Bergeron perfect scenario team.

One that has 3 top 20 min or more ice time lines, and where Bergeron would be the 7th dressed dman that gets 3 shifts or less as a 4th line winger. But gets used on the first PP wave every time

What teams meet those criteria?

Alternative:

A team like NYI and Edmonton that have nothing to lose and will welcome 10 more PP goals at the expense of 20, 5 on 5 goals against

• 4 weeks later...

A full month and still no NHL deal (that's what you get for demanding a multi-year deal coming off ACL surgery) but Bergeron has surfaced with Genf Servette HC for this week's Spengler Cup. That team isn't in the same division as Canada but the teams could meet once the medal round begins which starts tomorrow.

1 year, $1 mil to Tampa. A two-way contract (105k in the AHL) to boot, holding out for that multi-year deal didn't seem to do him much good. My prediction that it'd take him until 2011 to sign proved to be true at least. :)

Help me out here...how come when MAB plays for us, he is derided as a disaster in his own end and a veritable liability, but when Yzerman signs him, it's a great managerial move - ? :huh: