GDT: Pittsburgh at Montreal, Jan. 12, 1930 EST

lazy26

Well as good as they were Tuesday that's how bad they were last night.

When Darche and Pouliot are your 2 best players every night you going to have some issues.

No offense, plenty of turnovers, parade to the penalty and abotu 16 shots on goal. That's not a recipe for success.

Too many men on the ice/ late goals in the period/no hint of powerplay/successive penalties/ pedestrian goaltending seems like common theme when we lose. I think things were going too smoothly and all of a sudden we have a reality check. We don't have that much room for error. I am not a Martin fan, but I am pleased at where we are at, and you have to give Martin some credit for that. We aren't going to be great, but we are going to be OKAY.

Jeckyl and hyde team ... they need to cure that and pick one going forward.

They aren't a Jeckyl and Hyde team. They were a team missing their most explosive forward last night playing

on the tail end of a back to back.

This team is pretty consistent. They have played 44 games and only 5 times have entered the 3rd period trailing by more than 1 goal.

They are in every game. They compete almost every night.

I watch this team and I expect that they will struggle to score. They will play strong team defense.

They will outshoot their opponent. They will win when they take the lead and they will struggle to come back when they fall behind.

That is consistent, not Jeckyl and Hyde.

Edited by Wamsley01

I forget to mention incredibly soft this team is. Subban leading in fights? Ak46 leading in hits? Are you kidding me.

Know one ever stands up when other teams crash the crease.

Depends what your definition of soft is. There are plenty of players I don't consider soft who don't fight.

According to H I/O, the team is basically full of sick people suffering from colds and flu. They were just out of gas last night. That's explain all the "lazy" penalties. No cause for recrimination here. The main thing is to get rested up and come back playing properly.

According to H I/O, the team is basically full of sick people suffering from colds and flu. They were just out of gas last night. That's explain all the "lazy" penalties. No cause for recrimination here. The main thing is to get rested up and come back playing properly.

Wouldn't surprise me, tis the season of course. No practice today, just off ice stuff, hopefully that'll help the cause some.

I know numerous tough players too. Just not any on the habs.

Winning 1 on 1 battles (more than you lose)

Pounding the D on the forecheck

Winning pucks along the boards

Clearing the front of the net

getting garbage goals

Taking a hit to make a play

Winning fights

Standing up for your team mates

the don't do these often enough.

The fact that your $600k Darche is playing better than the rest of your top 6 players is what we should all be thinking about.

And not that Darche is undervalued and should be paid $3mil a year! NO NO he is worth $600k its the rest of our team that doesnt deserve their salary!!

Its regarding an ANEMIC TEAM that can't turn around a game.

its called GUTS! DONT GIVE UP, CURSING and RALLYING YOUR TROOPS!

Edited by CoRvInA

Better still for Darche, he actually makes $500k, the league minimum.

Also, Cammalleri has strep throat, not the flu, could be out for a little while yet.

ouch.. that's worse than the flu and highly contagious. Essential to stay at home, take medication and rest. I hope he gets better soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streptococcal_pharyngitis

I know numerous tough players too. Just not any on the habs.

Winning 1 on 1 battles (more than you lose)

Pounding the D on the forecheck

Winning pucks along the boards

Clearing the front of the net

getting garbage goals

Taking a hit to make a play

Winning fights

Standing up for your team mates

the don't do these often enough.

Outside of the last two, there are plenty of players on the Habs who do those things.

They wouldn't be in a playoff position if they didn't.

Outside of the last two, there are plenty of players on the Habs who do those things.

They wouldn't be in a playoff position if they didn't.

I think what Chris means, is that Habs need some Dustin Brown / Jarome Iginla / Nathan Horton type players. We all know that Moen wins battles along the board...

I think what Chris means, is that Habs need some Dustin Brown / Jarome Iginla / Nathan Horton type players. We all know that Moen wins battles along the board...

There's no question that when the Habs are off their game, they tend to lose battles and avoid the dirty areas. And there's no question that we could use a big down-and-dirty power forward in the top-6. At the same time, I take Wamsley's real point to be that it's futile to make sweeping judgements about the team on the basis of a bad game or a slump. The fact is, when we're ON our game we do all those things more than adequately.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I'll disagree with some of that, respectfully of course. Price is the main reason this team is even in the playoffs. I'm not saying they don't play good games or have good players but if this team had average goaltending they would be a bottom feeder.

Thye don't have enough players who do those things. they have players doing some of those each night but not a bunch.

They need a big tough shut down line as well. Why is Pleks playing a "shut down" role when that line should be scoring. Obviously at home it's a different story with libne changes and all.

AK46 can be replaced for another big power forward type. pacioretty is getting there. just not enough of them.

There's no question that when the Habs are off their game, they tend to lose battles and avoid the dirty areas. And there's no question that we could use a big down-and-dirty power forward in the top-6. At the same time, I take Wamsley's real point to be that it's futile to make sweeping judgements about the team on the basis of a bad game or a slump. The fact is, when we're ON our game we do all those things more than adequately.

Is it futile to think that we would maybe not get into these kinds of slump (even though every teams have some) if we had 1 or 2 Dustin Brown in our top 6 ?

Is it futile to think that we would maybe not get into these kinds of slump (even though every teams have some) if we had 1 or 2 Dustin Brown in our top 6 ?

Dustin Brown on a good team is a 2nd line forward who gets around 50 points per season (if he keeps up his point pace, it'd be the first time he finishes over 60). Him alone will not solve the scoring woes. Scorers are streaky by nature most of the time. When they're all going, things are great. When none of them are, teams struggle. Most of the year, some are on, some aren't. The latter is where the Habs typically sit which puts them at or around the mid-tier of the league the majority of the time. Lately, the scoring woes are more pronounced but little stretches often have a way of evening themselves out in the end, be it hot goaltending, one-goal games, or scoring.

ouch.. that's worse than the flu and highly contagious. Essential to stay at home, take medication and rest. I hope he gets better soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streptococcal_pharyngitis

Cammalleri is back at training with the team! This is great news for him.. Streptococ not too ugly after all

http://twitter.com/JFChaumont

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/313193.html

Dustin Brown on a good team is a 2nd line forward who gets around 50 points per season (if he keeps up his point pace, it'd be the first time he finishes over 60). Him alone will not solve the scoring woes. Scorers are streaky by nature most of the time. When they're all going, things are great. When none of them are, teams struggle. Most of the year, some are on, some aren't. The latter is where the Habs typically sit which puts them at or around the mid-tier of the league the majority of the time. Lately, the scoring woes are more pronounced but little stretches often have a way of evening themselves out in the end, be it hot goaltending, one-goal games, or scoring.

I was not talking about points production, but about a mix of talent and grit on our top 2 lines, something the Habs have been lacking for years now.

We have to face it, AK46 is leading the team with 83 hits while Dustin Brown has 166 of them, 116 for Brandon Morrow.

I just don't think our team is balanced well enough. It would be if AK46 would play with heart everygame + Max Pac slowly getting there, but we're just not there yet.

For me, it feels like we're playing Ice Hockey on Nintendo and we ice 3 small players and 1 all-around instead of the good ol' 1 small, 2 all around and 1 big player combo :D

For me, it feels like we're playing Ice Hockey on Nintendo and we ice 3 small players and 1 all-around instead of the good ol' 1 small, 2 all around and 1 big player combo :D

I played that a few months ago actually, still have the old Nintendo system. I liked using 2 or 3 big players actually and had them all crush the little ones the other countries had.

I was not talking about points production, but about a mix of talent and grit on our top 2 lines, something the Habs have been lacking for years now.

We have to face it, AK46 is leading the team with 83 hits while Dustin Brown has 166 of them, 116 for Brandon Morrow.

I just don't think our team is balanced well enough. It would be if AK46 would play with heart everygame + Max Pac slowly getting there, but we're just not there yet.

Every team could use a Dustin Brown. Every team could use a 2002 Todd Bertuzzi, but Chris is making out that the Habs are soft.

Soft teams do not make the Conference Finals. Soft teams do not consistently make the playoffs. It isn't like the Habs have been so extremely talented

that they can avoid the dirty work and still win games because if a counter chance opens they bury their chances.

This team puts on their hard hats every night. Their lack of scoring is a reflection of the style they play. They don't possess a game breaker and

the closest thing they had to an elite offensive player is gone for the season. This is why they struggle to score, but to suggest that this team does

not put forth a hard working effort every night is absurd.

They have not trailed by more than 1 goal entering the 3rd period in 40 of 44 games. Price hasn't done that all by himself. That is the Theodore attitude,

it is the attitude that puts all the Bruins success on the success of a 36 year old journeyman. It also is a convenient way to dismiss a teams accomplishments.

They lack a goon and are still searching for the John Leclair power forward they have lacked for over a decade, but they are not soft.