GDT: Devils @ Canadiens - February 6, 2011

bar

So frustrated with the refs...why is whenever there is a french canadian ref they try SO hard not to be bias that they actually are bias against the habs. I want a consistantly called game. The game in the 1st period was differently called than the third.

Now we will see if JM is a great coach away from the ice...he may be good at schemes, at X's and O's but I find him completely lacking with the media. If he doesn't call out the refs for the shouddy calls, I will never say he's a great coach. The coachs who use the media to address the refs, get more calls, I tire of JMs passive attitude in regards to the refs.

Despite that, the habs are missing Cammy, but whether it's JMs style or not, but they have to start scoring more.

It also doesn't help that we have 5 different line combos EVERY damn game. I don't think there is any other team that goes through as many line combos during the game and on a game to game basis. It really doesn't help any sort of chemistry developing or being maintained when the lines are constantly changing. Yes, injuries are part of the reason for the line changes, but its getting to be ridiculous how often we mix the lines.

At the end of the day though the time wasn't prepared to play. The other disturbing trend is that at the start of the year, if they got behind they couldn't come back. While they have been winning, they are having to play from behind way too oftern lately.

Now we will see if JM is a great coach away from the ice...he may be good at schemes, at X's and O's but I find him completely lacking with the media. If he doesn't call out the refs for the shouddy calls, I will never say he's a great coach. The coachs who use the media to address the refs, get more calls, I tire of JMs passive attitude in regards to the refs.

Who in particular are you referring to? When I see that, 3 names come to mind - Wilson, Ruff, and Torterella. The Leafs, no matter who the coach, get extra PP's, while the Rangers are only in the top half of the league in total PP's due to the fact they've played more than most of the teams behind them; take out the games in hand and they're about 20th overall in PP's. As for Buffalo, they've had fewer powerplays than the Habs. Yapping at and about the refs isn't accomplishing much there.

The top teams in the league for total PP's: Tampa Bay, Carolina, Calgary, Pittsburgh, and Vancouver. The only coach from those 5 teams that you could possibly call a yapper is Maurice in Carolina...and that's only because of his time in Toronto. Seldom do I hear a peep from Bylsma about the officiating, rarely from Vigneault and Sutter (he's too busy calling out his own team), and Boucher...well, no one hears anything from Tampa good or bad. So not yapping has its benefits as well. Martin could stand to insinuate a couple things here and there but staying quiet has its benefits as well.

I don't mean the coach has to be a yapper Brian, but a few words here and there about the treatment of the team would do more good than JMs stoic robotic answers. I would like to believe the players say publically that the refs don't impact the game, but in the locker room they likely say otherwise, hearing the coach stand up for them publically could go a long way, and to be honest it really can't get ANY worse, so why not give it a shot?

Edited by bar

So frustrated with the refs...why is whenever there is a french canadian ref they try SO hard not to be bias that they actually are bias against the habs. I want a consistantly called game. The game in the 1st period was differently called than the third.

Despite that, the habs are missing Cammy, but whether it's JMs style or not, but they have to start scoring more.

Agree with ya... he could also say it lightly (the refs uneven reffing) like we were unlucky on the plays and on ref calls... etc

Tha Devils showed us what tight defensive trap is about... JM should watch this gae over and over and show it to our Habs

I don't mean the coach has to be a yapper Brian, but a few words here and there about the treatment of the team would do more good than JMs stoic robotic answers. I would like to believe the players say publically that the refs don't impact the game, but in the locker room they likely say otherwise, hearing the coach stand up for them publically could go a long way, and to be honest it really can't get ANY worse, so why not give it a shot?

Save for a major blown call, If the coach starts laying part of the blame on the refs each time the game isn't called exactly as he'd want it, then he is taking away some of the responsibility from the players. And I think the last thing JM wants is to create a situation where players feel it is acceptable to allocate blame to anyone but themselves.

As a side note, remember Andre Savard blowing a fuse when Jeff Hackett got tripped up behind his net against the Devils, who then scored? Good memories.

I'm not calling for JM to turn into Torts here, but his stoic after game manners pisses me off as a fan haha..

It doesn't bug me too much, to be honest. I like that no matter what happens, there's not an overreaction or under reaction to the situation. It's 1 game out of 82, and unless something so drastic or abstract happens, there's not much to get all too worked up about if you're the coach. The season is a process, there will be peaks and valleys along the way; the mantra of a good leader is to stay level headed throughout. I know it won't be the popular opinion but that's how I approach it.

Some refs will act in spite at the slightest hint of criticism so if you're going to say something or even hint it, you better pick and choose your spot if you're going to call them out. I wasn't thrilled with the officiating today but on the flip side, it didn't decide the game. In that case, it's probably best not to say something about the referees, justified or not.

I will say this though, if Martin turned into Tortorella, the media scrums would be a lot more interesting, that's for sure.

Personally, I really wonder how much of the ongoing complaining about JM has to do with his total lack of charisma as a media personality. I think people infer from his media style that he must be a total dud...because not much in his record with us suggests that he actually is.

As for demanding that he harrangue the refs, how quickly we forget Carbo :rolleyes: It took a while for the refs to stop punishing us for Carbo's year or so of non-stop bitching at every call. Besides that, Moustakas has a good point; how do you teach a team to be unflappable in the face of adversity, and to take responsibility for what happens on the ice, if you're blaming the refs? There's wisdom in that thar boring JM style.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

It's the Devils... we (almost) ALWAYS lose to the Devils. :D Let's forget this game and get some wins against teams we can beat (the 29 other teams in the league).

I was going to correct you, and point out that it's 28 other teams... but truth be told, we do beat ourselves some nights lol.

I was going to correct you, and point out that it's 28 other teams... but truth be told, we do beat ourselves some nights lol.

It's actually 27 teams...you're forgetting about the Flyers

Well they need to take there 2 points over the weekend and move on. hard to believe you can score 2 goals in 2 games and mangage to be 500,

3-4 points this week should be the goal. it ends a tough stretch of back to back games.

15-13 should make the playoffs as a 7 possibly a 6 seed.

Wis back should help