GDT: Habs vs Ottawa, Apr. 7

dlbalr

Change the assists on Gionta's goal - instead of it being from Wisniewski and Gomez, it's now from Darche and Wisniewski.

Also, unrelated to the above, it's nice to see former Hab prospect Andre Benoit getting some games in with the Sens. Some of you may have read this before, but he played his Jr. C hockey in my hometown before joining Kitchener in the OHL the next season. I've always kept a close eye on his career path so as a Hab fan, it's nice to see him get a shot but even better for the fans of my local Jr. C team. It's the first time since 2001-02 that we've had a player from that Jr. C team see NHL action.

3 Stars are up: http://www.habsworld...cle.php?id=2448

Also, Rangers lose 3-0 so the Habs now cannot finish 8th.

If Philly beats the Sabres in regulation they almost assure a Bruins/Habs first round. The Bruins could only tie Philly and the Sabres couldn't pass the Habs.

If the Sabres beat Philly, then it could also push things towards Habs/Bruins as the Sabres could bypass Montreal and the Bruins could jump the Flyers with a pair of wins.

One stat that has been bothering me for a few weeks is the Canadiens Face off percentage. Brian mentions it on every game star page, and it is not good. Especially for a small team. If you want to play the speed game, you need to have the puck. This is another reason that I am not confident in this bunch this year. I am still excited, but my faith is low.

One stat that has been bothering me for a few weeks is the Canadiens Face off percentage. Brian mentions it on every game star page, and it is not good. Especially for a small team. If you want to play the speed game, you need to have the puck. This is another reason that I am not confident in this bunch this year. I am still excited, but my faith is low.

More often than not, you'll see it in the road game pieces as the Habs quite frankly are awful on the road on the draw and have been that way all season. By the time I get to the stat(s) of the night portion, it's usually near the top of the hour which means I'm about to watch something and need to throw something up there, faceoffs (good or bad success rate) usually serves as a quick one to mention. I did have enough time yesterday to look up Auld's stuff at least but still added the bad faceoff portion as it was a lot worse than usual.

More often than not, you'll see it in the road game pieces as the Habs quite frankly are awful on the road on the draw and have been that way all season. By the time I get to the stat(s) of the night portion, it's usually near the top of the hour which means I'm about to watch something and need to throw something up there, faceoffs (good or bad success rate) usually serves as a quick one to mention. I did have enough time yesterday to look up Auld's stuff at least but still added the bad faceoff portion as it was a lot worse than usual.

I was extremely underwhelmed with Auld from a performance standpoint this season even though I thought he would be a great choice in July. He was exactly who I wanted.

He finished with a .914 SV%, but his competition was dreadful. He started 12 games and only one was against a playoff team (Rangers). That could change to zero if the Rangers are passed by the Canes. He got yanked in 17% of his starts, including one where he had a 4-0 lead. The Habs scored 37 goals for him in those 12 starts (probably skewed by the 8-1 game).

I have never seen a 6'5" goaltender make himself look so small. Last night on the go ahead goal (2-1) his depth was atrocious. If he is at the top of the blue paint he gives himself a chance to knock the puck down on it's early upward trajectory, instead he is stapled to the redline and can only flail away at it as it carries over his shoulder. He makes 7-8 poor technical mistakes every game.

I don't know if the Habs plan on re-signing him next season, personally I hope they move in another direction and acquire somebody just as professional, but more skilled.

If/when Halpern returns, he has to be put back at centre for the playoffs. That will help the draw numbers a decent amount.

There's no question in my mind we need a backup who is actually competent to play a decent number of games. Yes, Price is a beast - but if you're planning on a Cup run I still think it wiser to be in a position to rest your starter in some sort of meaningful way. Vancouver discovered this with Luongo. Plus there's always the chance of injury. You should strive for depth at every position, including goal, and Auld ain't it IMHO.

I agree. I have watched Auld bobble the puck A LOT whenever he plays. He even gave a rebound directly back to an opposing player last night.... come on dude, you gotta eat that puck.... He just isn't technically clean. its all about fundamentals. Of course we are used to watching Carey...

Isn't there a young french goalie that we can get somewhere? what is Paddy Roy's son doing? he can fight for us too!

I agree. I have watched Auld bobble the puck A LOT whenever he plays. He even gave a rebound directly back to an opposing player last night.... come on dude, you gotta eat that puck.... He just isn't technically clean. its all about fundamentals. Of course we are used to watching Carey...

Isn't there a young french goalie that we can get somewhere? what is Paddy Roy's son doing? he can fight for us too!

Pretty sure he retired to focus on his music career. Thing is, he's as good at singing as he was in goal.

Also, since the underlying theme of the thread is emoticons, the dancing banana died about an hour ago for some reason so I uploaded a new one.