Who do you re-sign?

Trizzak

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then give him a QO. No harm in it, gives the team some depth in case of early season injuries. He can reject it and sign in Russia if he wants, or take his chances on another Habs tryout. $660k isn't a concern, considering minimum wage next year gets bumped up to $575k.

I agree, he's worth qualifying just in case their UFA plans don't go as intended. One other quick note, the minimum salary is $525k next year, not $575k.

There is no doubt that Max rounds out the top six when healthy, but beyond that, there is no depth guy when a top 6er gets hurt

Eller, maybe Desharnais. I think they're moving on up.

Though I understand what you're saying. I wouldn't mind adding a new forward myself.

lol, I just realized the kind of player we're describing as missing is Chris Higgins. :lol:

It is sounding like Markov, Gorges, Gill, and Weber will be priorities for next year. Probably in that order. The room really wants Gill back, Markov and Gorges are no brainers, and Weber is RFA. This should be an interesting off season.

It is sounding like Markov, Gorges, Gill, and Weber will be priorities for next year. Probably in that order. The room really wants Gill back, Markov and Gorges are no brainers, and Weber is RFA. This should be an interesting off season.

We'll see. Gauthier will be a lot more emotionally detached in his decision making than the players would be, and that's a good thing.

I could see a lot of different scenarios. The thing with Gill is that re-signing him won't break the bank at all. Re-signing Gorges is a bit trickier to figure out.

I see three tiers. Tier 1-Price, Subban, Plecanec Eller and Pax- I don't move them unless you name a mountain after me and give up the rights to your first born. Tier 2 Gionta, Cammy, AK, Markov, Gorges, Wiz are moveable but I need substantial assets coming back. Tier 3- Could and should move some of them however they have value to you that you need to sort out- the rest

Edited by BlueKross

There is no doubt that Max rounds out the top six when healthy, but beyond that, there is no depth guy when a top 6er gets hurt

Last year Pacioretty and Desharnais were in the AHL (or injured) and Eller was a fourth liner. Next year, there is enough depth on this team that Moen shouldn't have to play on the second line. Although you and saskhab are right, they could use a Chris Higgins type. The Jagr rumour is interesting but I'm not sure he can play bottom 6 hockey.

I feel like our team next season will be almost identical.

ALL OF:

Markov at - ~4.5M

Gorges at 3.5M

Gill at 2.15M

Picard at 660K

ONE OF:

Wisniewski at 4.25M

Hamrlik at 3M

Bieksa/X at 3M

Halpern is either retained at the same rate or replaced with a similar player.

Ditto Auld.

Gomez stays.

Kostitsyn re-signs for something similar, maybe a slight raise.

Pouliot probably gets traded for a Bournival.

I like it BTH. However, Marinaro on the Team 990 maintains the club offered Markov one year at the same salary he made this year, and his agent countered with a 3 year deal. I like your 4.5 for cap reasons, may not happen. Yes, I'm aware he's a talk show host, and not a member of the teams hockey department!

I'm a firm believer in building a team from the goal out, with the key being having a very mobile defense that supports the transition game. Here's what I'd like for next year:

Defense:

-Markov - 3 yr/$14.5M

-Gorges - 4 yr/$12M

-Wiz - 3yr/$14M

-Gill - 1yr/1.5M

-Bieksa - 4yr/$16M - ONLY if we can find a way to dump Spacek and Gomez

Of course, the only way the Dmen signings would be possible is dump Gomez. His last interview showed character, but we've heard similar messages. I think you bury him the minors next year. The following year, when his salary comes down, you try and trade him. I know that some may hesitate to sign Markov for three years. But Serge Savard thought Chelios was done done back in the early 90's becuase of his knee injuries and moved him for a washed up Denis Savard - who should have have been a hab a decade earlier!! So, I wouldn't hesitate to give him a three year deal - but would hope for a hometown discount.

If we could find a way to get someone to take Spacek off our hands, dumping both Spacek's contract and Gomez, gives us an extra $10.8M and I think that would allow us the flexibility to sign Markov, Bieksa and Wiz. We would have a pretty amazing top 5 of Markov, Subban, Bieksa, Wiz and Gorges.

Goalie:

-I hated signing Auld and hated him more this year, becuase IMO he was worse then I even thought he would be. His so-called success and numbers this year are an illusion given the level of competition he faced. I don't want him back. Not sure if NJ has resigned Hedberg, love to get him or see if we could make a deal with the Isles for Nabakov.

Up front I want us to get bigger and tougher. I really hope the habs don't dump AK46 - I don't get the hate for him, particularly in the regular season, because IMO, Cammy also pretty much sucked in the regular season. I also don't want the habs to make the same mistake with Pouliot, as they did with SK74 or Grabs and see another former hab become a solid young star with another team. However, if we are going to keep him, he needs to be playing with skilled guys, not pluggers like Moen, Darche and Halpern.

I don't want to see Gomez, Moen, Halpern (useful this year, but want more size on third/4th line). Darche or Pyatt wouldn't be bad depth players, but my fear of bringing Darche back is having JM playing him on the top two lines or the PP again. Darche is a 4th line player and if he is ONLY going to be used as a 4th line player, he would be a good depth player to have, but for some reason JM seems to have a hard on for Darche and Moen this year and kept throwing them on the top two lines. Yes we were dealing with injuries, but there were other better options.

So the forwards that are UFA/RFA's that I want back are mainly kids and AK46.

Forwards:

-AK46 - 2yr/$7.5M

-Pouliot - same as this year - 2 yr deal

-White

-Weber

-Desharnais

-MaxPac

-Pyatt (more for depth)

I would give eller a chance at the #2 centre position, move Desharnais to the wing and then sign or trade for a BIG centre who could be either a workable solution as a #2, but would be a real solid #3. i think a guy like Brooks Laich would be great.

Lastly, this may not be popular, given Cammilari's production in the playoffs, but I'd explore whether the Pens would be interested in moving Malkin for Cammi plus picks/prospects. I know the likelihood of them wanting to move Malkin is slim, but they are stacked at centre and Cammi would finally be the ideal winger to play with Crosby. The move would also give them a lot more cap flexibility.

Getting Malkin is probably a stretch, but I think it is worth pursuing for the habs - they would finally get the elusive BIG centre and superstar up front they have lacked for over 20 years (I don't consider Damphouse as a big centre - despite Tremblay's converting him from LW to centre). But it is a stretch, so here is the lineup I'd like to see for next year, without the malkin wet dream:

Cammi-Pleks-Ak46

MaxPac-Eller-Gionta

Pouliot-Laich-Desharnais

White-Big Fourth line centre -Pyatt/depth from farm

Subban-Bieksa

Markov-Wiz

Gorges-Weber

Gill

Price

Hedberg

If we could swing a deal for Malkin - we would have an amazing top three of Malkin, Pleks and Eller.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

I don't mind them keeping Eller, but I saw nothing this year (including the playoffs) that makes me think he is going to be a top 6 forward next year.

I actually think we will keep Gomez and he will be far better next year. I think he is now in a Price situation where pride demands he rebound. He was embarrassed this year by his performance.

We definitely need to pick up another top 6 winger. Gionta and Cammy are set, but we need to take add to Pac and AK. We need more depth and a bigger, stronger, nastier winger. If that means AK moves on, so be it. It all depends on who you replace him with.

I also think we need to look at our energy lines. We don''t need Darche, Moen, and Halpern. Pick two and bring in someone like Laps or Moore (not attitude, but skill level). That will give us the depth to go with our cadre of young talent. (eller, Des, etc).

As for the D.. I wouldn't mind Gill back, but Hammer would have to be really cheap to keep him. I am leary of Markov, but I suspect they are going to open the vault for him and that will mean Wis is gone.

I don't mind another year of Auld because I am resigned to the fact that our season depends on Price. If he sucks or gets hurt for an extended period, we are in trouble. I would rather see a young goalie on the farm working to eventually come up and replace Auld.

I don't envy PG this summer. He has a lot of work to do and some big, immovable contracts to work around.

I don't mind them keeping Eller, but I saw nothing this year (including the playoffs) that makes me think he is going to be a top 6 forward next year.

I actually think we will keep Gomez and he will be far better next year. I think he is now in a Price situation where pride demands he rebound. He was embarrassed this year by his performance.

We definitely need to pick up another top 6 winger. Gionta and Cammy are set, but we need to take add to Pac and AK. We need more depth and a bigger, stronger, nastier winger. If that means AK moves on, so be it. It all depends on who you replace him with.

I also think we need to look at our energy lines. We don''t need Darche, Moen, and Halpern. Pick two and bring in someone like Laps or Moore (not attitude, but skill level). That will give us the depth to go with our cadre of young talent. (eller, Des, etc).

As for the D.. I wouldn't mind Gill back, but Hammer would have to be really cheap to keep him. I am leary of Markov, but I suspect they are going to open the vault for him and that will mean Wis is gone.

I don't mind another year of Auld because I am resigned to the fact that our season depends on Price. If he sucks or gets hurt for an extended period, we are in trouble. I would rather see a young goalie on the farm working to eventually come up and replace Auld.

I don't envy PG this summer. He has a lot of work to do and some big, immovable contracts to work around.

I'd have to disagree. Games 6 & 7 I thought Eller was outstanding - despite being injured - he should have been given a chance to take Gomer's spot.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Habs29, there is a reason Moen and Darche get PP time. They are the ONLY guys who drive to the net during the regular season. That's a personnel issue, not a coaching issue.

As for Malkin for Cammy, hey, I'd do that in a split second, but I'd also trade my Corolla for a Mercedes. Ain't gonna happen.

I like it BTH. However, Marinaro on the Team 990 maintains the club offered Markov one year at the same salary he made this year, and his agent countered with a 3 year deal. I like your 4.5 for cap reasons, may not happen. Yes, I'm aware he's a talk show host, and not a member of the teams hockey department!

Who knows, Markov's contract is the most unpredictable. If it's a 3 year deal, the cap hit will be lower than it would be for a one-year deal. So if Montreal offered 1 year, 5.75M, the counter offer was probably something like three-years, 5M per or something.

Comparing Gomez to Price probably isn't the best analogy. Comparing Gomez's 10/11 year with Kovalev's 06/07 year probably is better. Kovalev was 33 then, Gomez is 31 now. Both were disasters both on the ice and with the fans.

Give Gomez a decent winger who can finish and suddenly all will be well, I mean Gomez basically assisted on all of Gio's goals so add another 30 goal man and Gomez will suddenly be "producing".

Give Gomez a decent winger who can finish and suddenly all will be well, I mean Gomez basically assisted on all of Gio's goals so add another 30 goal man and Gomez will suddenly be "producing".

+1...I hinted at that in an earlier post. If he plays with Pacioretty, and adds some powerplay points, he could be a 70 point player.

Habs29, there is a reason Moen and Darche get PP time. They are the ONLY guys who drive to the net during the regular season. That's a personnel issue, not a coaching issue.

As for Malkin for Cammy, hey, I'd do that in a split second, but I'd also trade my Corolla for a Mercedes. Ain't gonna happen.

I'm not saying they'd be able to make straight up deal, but if you offered picks and prospects a deal could be done. Hell, SJ pretty much got Thornton for spare parts from Boston. The Pens are in cap trouble and picking up picks and prospects along with Cammi, would free up $2.7M in cap space and fill a hole in their lineup to boot.

+1...I hinted at that in an earlier post. If he plays with Pacioretty, and adds some powerplay points, he could be a 70 point player.

Gomez did play with MaxPac and he didn't really wasn't all that much better.

I just don't think its worth the risk going into training camp with Gomez and then try and get rid of him if he lays another egg.

Comparing Gomez to Price probably isn't the best analogy. Comparing Gomez's 10/11 year with Kovalev's 06/07 year probably is better. Kovalev was 33 then, Gomez is 31 now. Both were disasters both on the ice and with the fans.

Gomez hasn't had just one bad season, he pretty much sucked during his last year with the Rangers and his first year in Montreal. The last three years he has point totals of 58, 59 and 38. Kovolev had 65, 47 then 84 points, before going back to his usual 65 points during his last year with the habs. Kovy had also dropped down to 45 point range before, but he never had three straight reason of sucking.

Gomez's recent track record suggests that he is an under 60 point guy. You can't build a real contender if you are paying $7.3M for a guy where the best case scenerio is 60 point. They have a chance to really revamp their defense this summer, but with Price and Subban to resign the following year, they not only can't give multi-year deals to Dmen this year without getting rid of Gomez, they also need to ensure they factor in future increases to Price, Subban and Eller that will be required.

Gomez has to go. Next year, the habs are going to be have $10.8M of cap space eaten up by Gomez and Spacek, that's way to much to be paying guys that aren't worth even half of what they are getting paid.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Gomez did play with MaxPac and he didn't really wasn't all that much better.

I just don't think its worth the risk going into training camp with Gomez and then try and get rid of him if he lays another egg.

Barring a trade/buyout, the latter being doubtful, the Habs will have to go through training camp with him no matter what. You can't waive/outright a guy to the AHL in the offseason.

hab29. I think we should all get used to, and accept the fact that Gomez is here to stay. Unless he can be traded, which we all know is extremely difficult. He's not being sent down, and you know it.

Barring a trade/buyout, the latter being doubtful, the Habs will have to go through training camp with him no matter what. You can't waive/outright a guy to the AHL in the offseason.

I understand that, but I think you have to have the same attitude of NYR and EDM, where they pretty much went into the year, already were committed to send Redden and Souray to the minors if they couldn't be traded, and in Redden's case, they knew a trade wasn't possible, while Edmonton was trying to trade Souray, but made it clear they not only didn't want him back with their team, but didn't even want him with their own minor league team.

With Gomez, I think the habs need to commit to send him down this year and eat be willing to eat the cost. Next year when his salary goes down, they can see if there is a taker for him. But there are some interesting oppertunities on defense this year (Bieksa, along with resigning Markov, Gorges and Wiz). there is a real oppertunity to solidify our defense. We already are solid in goal and having a solid goalie and Defense will go a long way to help the development and growth of young guys like MaxPac, Eller and Desharnais.

Up front we have speed to burn, but at the backend, we currently don't have the personnel to effectively clear our zone, let alone help the transition game. This year, it was scary how Subban seemd to be the only guy who could effectively clear the zone.

hab29. I think we should all get used to, and accept the fact that Gomez is here to stay. Unless he can be traded, which we all know is extremely difficult. He's not being sent down, and you know it.

I don't know why we should feel this way. The Rangers are willing to eat Redden's contract - and he his contract commitment is about the same as Gomez. Edmonton is weak on defense and even though they are a small market team, are willing to eat Souray's contract. So I really don't understand why sending Gomez down isn't an option. I do agree he is untradable.

Edited by hab29RETIRED