Markov signs 3 year contract

ForumGhost

Hmmm. Good that they signed Markov, but you can't exactly say that this deal is a bargain for the Habs either in term or in salary. Maybe Markov wanted major security (say 6 years) and this represented a big concession. On its face, though, his injuries seem to have been fairly irrelevant to his bargaining position.

In the unlikely event that he is significantly damaged goods, everyone is going to be ripping this contract by Year Two :rolleyes: But like I say, good news. Now let's sign Wiz and go after the Cup!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:1banana:

Excellent, now sign the Wiz and a forward or two and we are right there in the mix for it.

Go :habslogo: Go

Let's face it: Markov is an elite defenseman and he was not going to sign for a lower salary, even though he has missed a lot of games due to injuries in the last few years. Gauthier has decided to take the risk and I agree with that. I think that he will help Emelin and Subban. It would be fun to sign Wiz also, but I doubt that Gauthier has the cap space to do the trick. Anyhow, I like the way the team is taking shape for next year. I think that we will have a nice combination of youth and experience. We probably will be able to sign one or two free agents and there are a few players like Palushaj and Engqvist who might be able to make the team next fall. It will be interesting to watch.

Hmmm. Good that they signed Markov, but you can't exactly say that this deal is a bargain for the Habs either in term or in salary. Maybe Markov wanted major security (say 6 years) and this represented a big concession. On its face, though, his injuries seem to have been fairly irrelevant to his bargaining position.

In the unlikely event that he is significantly damaged goods, everyone is going to be ripping this contract by Year Two :rolleyes: But like I say, good news. Now let's sign Wiz and go after the Cup!!

Amen.

Wonderful to have this great hockey player back on our team.

The money for anyone , anytime is ridiculous. It's crazy. This is not to say this isn't what happens in professional sport...it's just insane. I hope he has a wonderfully charitable nature. 17 million dollars buys a lot of food and clothing for an awful lot of people.

Now I think I'll take a Wiz.

Amen.

Wonderful to have this great hockey player back on our team.

The money for anyone , anytime is ridiculous. It's crazy. This is not to say this isn't what happens in professional sport...it's just insane. I hope he has a wonderfully charitable nature. 17 million dollars buys a lot of food and clothing for an awful lot of people.

Now I think I'll take a Wiz.

I wonder why they would offer Hammer a contract unless this justifies moving him for a choice. I like Wiz also. Gorges is got to be up next. Love the kid. Wondering if they are hoping for an offer sheet?

While Markov makes me nervous due to his injury history, I am not unhappy they signed him. A healthy Markov is one of my fav players and Subban / Markov gives us great offense from the back end, either together or anchoring separate pairs. The biggest issue I see with Markov is that skating is really key to his game, making his effectiveness very dependent on just how quick and agile he is when he comes back. I hope the signing is an indication that the medical staff are optimistic based on what they know.

Hammer at a decent price is not a bad addition. We will have injuries on the back end and if he is ready to be a vet presence taking fewer minutes, he will be great for our depth. I don't like having to make desperation trades to backfill guys during the season. That is how you lose your prospects. I would rather sign a few extra now and keep our prospects. If we end up with too many, we can trade our depth for more prospects, instead of the other way around. :)

Had he stayed healthy, he would definitely be getting something like 6 years. I don't see other UFA of his calibre signing for only 3 years. They all sign until they're 40 now.

In a way, we're 'lucky' to now be able to sign our elite player without giving him an eventually crippling contract.

Had he stayed healthy, he would definitely be getting something like 6 years. I don't see other UFA of his calibre signing for only 3 years. They all sign until they're 40 now.

In a way, we're 'lucky' to now be able to sign our elite player without giving him an eventually crippling contract.

I agree. Although I don't think that the term or money is what we all would have liked to have seen, I think PG did pretty good given the circumstances. I can see Markov pulling a Lidstrom at the end of this deal, and just re-up every year as long as he wants to keep playing.

markov is an all star, a leader, and the building block that the Canadiens have built around since the 2000s. I wish PG could also resign Wiz but it's looking doubtful. As for these hamrlik rumours...I'm praying that they are not true. guys like Weber and Emelin are not only youthful and full of energy but far less injury prone and cap friendly. Even 1.2 million for Hamrlik is too much as far as I'm concerned.

markov is an all star, a leader, and the building block that the Canadiens have built around since the 2000s. I wish PG could also resign Wiz but it's looking doubtful. As for these hamrlik rumours...I'm praying that they are not true. guys like Weber and Emelin are not only youthful and full of energy but far less injury prone and cap friendly. Even 1.2 million for Hamrlik is too much as far as I'm concerned.

are you serious? 1.2 mill for hammer is too much? There is no way he can be signed for that but if he could PG would have already done it. Hammer will get at least 2.5 to 3 mill, I mean come on he has got to be worth as much as Gill. However I would sign hammer right now to any deal under 3.0 mill for 1 year. 2.5 would be a steal.

Hammer is sadly unappreciated by Habs fans, it seems. He's still a legitimate #4 defenceman - a #5 on bad nights - and will presumably get paid like one. The idea that he could command less than Gill is, frankly, comical.

Hammer is sadly unappreciated by Habs fans, it seems. He's still a legitimate #4 defenceman - a #5 on bad nights - and will presumably get paid like one. The idea that he could command less than Gill is, frankly, comical.

Agreed. But salary is not the issue here. Roster space is. The only way Hammer gets signed is if Spac gets traded for pucks to a team that needs to make the cap floor. Might happen, but I doubt it. NTC + there are better overpaid players out there.

Markov-Gorges

Gill-Subban

Emelin-Spac/Hammer

Weber

Like you, I am still hoping for the Habs to take a chance on signing the Wiz. That probably implies trading Gorges or Weber, or maybe just Spac and no Hammer signing.

Markov-Wiz

Gill-Subban

Emelin-Gorges

Weber

With Emelin and Gill swapping spots if Alexei proves he can play in the show...

Problem with that last scenario: a whole lot of fragile knees (Markov, Wiz and Gorges).

I'm with you. He can be a wonderful Dman for us often enough, for sure. He filled some big holes for us over the last couple of years.

We hockey fans seem to be so "what have you done for me lately-ish , and a little too high in expectations of these ordinary human beings.

With this team, I am not sure we can have too many D. I expect two injured by December.

As long as Spacek and Hammer realize that they won't be in the lineup every night unless there are injuries, I have no problem with them being on the roster.

With this team, I am not sure we can have too many D. I expect two injured by December.

As long as Spacek and Hammer realize that they won't be in the lineup every night unless there are injuries, I have no problem with them being on the roster.

Thing is, JM has shown preference to playing the vets over the kids, and I feel like Weber's development would take a hit if Hammer came back.