Emelin

brobin

Its a nice dream, and I would do it for a Malkin. However, I think Pittsburgh would make sure to trade Malkin to the Western Conference if they ever decided to move him.

I also think that when Crosby is healthy they are going to try Malkin on wing with Staal, due to his poor faceoff percentage.

It only frees up cap space if the player is done for the season. If he returns later in the year, you need to again clear the same cap space to bring him back into the lineup.

That said, Cammalleri would be one of the last players I move given his playoff performances. He might be struggling a little right now, but he's hit a bunch of posts, and its obvious that the injury from earlier in the year is effecting him. He's a streaky scorer, once he gets one or two, the goals will pour in for a few weeks. Markov passing to set up his one timer, will help as well.

Cammalleri has been a tremendous disappointment. He has a hard time performing under this martin system and the defensive grind looks like its toll on his little frame as he is always injured. He was a 35-39 goal scorer and now barely hits 25. Yes he had a good playoffs but that's about it.

Cammalleri and Gomez combined costs us $13.5 million and combined nets us 30 a year. Thats disgraceful.

Cammalleri has been a tremendous disappointment.  He has a hard time performing under this martin system and the defensive grind looks like its toll on his little frame as he is always injured.  He was a 35-39 goal scorer and now barely hits 25.  Yes he had a good playoffs but that's about it.

Cammalleri and Gomez combined costs us $13.5 million and combined nets us 30 a year.  Thats disgraceful.

Cammalleri has only played about 1/4 of one season with Markov feeding him the puck.  I wouldn't give up on him until we get to see that on a regular basis.  Remember that in 09-10, Markov was hurt the first half of the season, and Cammy was hurt for 1/4 of the season on a hit against the Senators in Februaryish.  He still tied for the team lead in goals that year.

He's a streaky scorer, and it seems like he can't get in a groove right now, but I have a feeling once he gets healthy and starts scoring, he'll get on a roll for us.

Of course I'm worried about Gomez, but I'm not too worried about Cammy.

Cammalleri has been a tremendous disappointment. He has a hard time performing under this martin system and the defensive grind looks like its toll on his little frame as he is always injured. He was a 35-39 goal scorer and now barely hits 25. Yes he had a good playoffs but that's about it.

Cammalleri and Gomez combined costs us $13.5 million and combined nets us 30 a year. Thats disgraceful.

No offence, but I find this post lame. Cammy is a PP guy who needs someone on the point to distribute the puck Markov was a major reason why he came here. So he has not been in a position to get 30+ goals here. Beyond that, he has nevertheless been a playoff superstar. Casually discounting that is silly.

There are a million reasons why Gomez has been a disaster, but I'm sure tired of people bringing up his goals totals. Gomez is not a goal-scorer. Attacking him on that basis is like Marinaro factoring in our pre-season record to make our win-loss record at home look worse than it is. It's sheer rhetoric.

• Upvote 1

Sorry Commandant, but that's a hell of a stretch. The key to a successful season for Cammy is the return of Markov, who is always injured, and hasn't played in over a year? If that's the case, that was another bad signing.

Sorry Commandant, but that's a hell of a stretch. The key to a successful season for Cammy is the return of Markov, who is always injured, and hasn't played in over a year?  If that's the case, that was another bad signing.

Markov is but one factor, there are a few at work here.

Firstly Cam has always been at his best with a successful pp lining up in the circle and unleashing the one timer. So yes, a guy at the point who can feed him the puck would be a good addition.

Secondly, he's a streaky scorer. Like many 30+ goal guys, his goals come in bunches. Cammy hasn't gotten into a groove this year, but once he's healthy and able to do so, I think you'll see his production skyrocket. He'll have a nice 10-15 game hot streak and suddenly the numbers will be there. The continual nagging injuries haven't helped him.

lastly he's a guy who has shown that he can be counted on in clutch situations. For that reason, I can deal with these early season struggles.

I'm not saying having Markov is the only way Cam has a good season. But surely, a better PP will only enhance his talent.

• Upvote 1

I listed Cammy as a favourite Hab in my profile. And agree that in theory, the return of Markov should help. But Holy Cow, a lot is being put onto those fragile knees. It's as if the team and fan base can't proceed without this guy. Is nobody raising an eyebrow at this scene? Oh and Mr. Cucumber? Our record at home is not a cause for concern?

You also don't want to move either until you have a better assessment of them both. Over the year, the habs have lost too many young dman and watched them succeed elsewhere. Unless they make a deal and get a dman that is a true #2 or #3 you can't move your young dman.

The issue the habs have is with Markov hurt, that their vetern Dman - Gill and Spacek are both suited to that #6 role at this point in their careers. Their other veteran - Gorges was another blunder signing in the off season (1 year deal) and you risk losing him for nothing at the end of the year. So next year, the issue at defence doesn't get any better.

If you look at Myers struggles in Buffalo and even Doughty's struggles in LA, Schenn's struggles in Toronto, it demonstrates something that everyone should know, DMan take 4-5 years to develop. That is why i think our expectation and some of the fans expectations of Subban, Weber, Diaz and Emelin are unrealistic. If we had the right veterans in place (real top 3 dman), they could be paired with the young players and help them develop. Getting Markov back will go a long way to help that cause.

THe habs have typically never given their dman (with the exception of Markov Gorges and Komi) that long to fully develop. With the exception of Markov, they tend to lose the guys that they do develop and I fear that they will lose Gorges now as well.

I completely agree about Gorges. Instead of fv.cking up and not negotiating during the season, the habs should offer Josh a multi year deal. He's well worth it.

You're also right about the fact that it takes d-men a good 5 years to develop properly. I agree that we haven't seen much of Emelin yet, and we have to expect him to make some mistakes, but there's no denying that he brings something that the Habs don't have much of... and that's his nasty streak!

No offence, but I find this post lame. Cammy is a PP guy who needs someone on the point to distribute the puck Markov was a major reason why he came here. So he has not been in a position to get 30+ goals here. Beyond that, he has nevertheless been a playoff superstar. Casually discounting that is silly.

There are a million reasons why Gomez has been a disaster, but I'm sure tired of people bringing up his goals totals. Gomez is not a goal-scorer. Attacking him on that basis is like Marinaro factoring in our pre-season record to make our win-loss record at home look worse than it is. It's sheer rhetoric.

I guess $6 million for 19 goals is acceptable then. Cammalleri is only as good as the people around him. Why on earth would we pay elite superstar money of $6 million for a player who cannot perform unless he has an elite player with him? Players who make that much money should eb able to carry teams on their back. Be able to produce no matter who they are playing with.

Cammalleri has been beyond a disappointment with the Habs except for that one playoff.

Why are people defending him? He was brought in to score goals and simply isn't. If he was good in other aspects of his game then perhaps we could let this slide but he is also extremely lazy defensively, rarely gives a second effort back checking. $6 million for less than 25 goals is a bust.

It would be both playoffs, as he was leading the league in points yet again at the time of our elimination last year.

When a guy can be the league leader in points for the Habs in the playoffs two years in a row, I'm willing to cut him a little slack.

This will sound condescending but it isn't.

I don't get it though. You say he cannot produce because he doesn't have a PP quarterback in Markov yet then argue he's the best player in the playoffs even though Andrei was not around. So does he not care in the regular season but then tries in the playoffs?

Granted the playoffs are more important but anything under 30 for Cammalleri in the reg season is unacceptable. He is paid to produce and he isn't. And when someone making that much money is not producing then it is time to move on.

This will sound condescending but it isn't.

I don't get it though. You say he cannot produce because he doesn't have a PP quarterback in Markov yet then argue he's the best player in the playoffs even though Andrei was not around. So does he not care in the regular season but then tries in the playoffs?

Granted the playoffs are more important but anything under 30 for Cammalleri in the reg season is unacceptable. He is paid to produce and he isn't. And when someone making that much money is not producing then it is time to move on.

I didn't say he can't produce in the regular season without markov.... I said his production would be improved by having Markov to pass him the puck. Big difference.

There is more than one factor in his regular season struggles, and the fact that he's a streaky scorer who needs to get into a groove is the biggest one. His health situation over the past two years has prevented him from finding that groove. Thats the biggest thing.

He's still a guy who led the team in goals in the regular season his first year here, with 26 in 65 games... this works out to 33 goals if he played a full season.

If we add in his playoffs, he had 39 goals in 84games that year. Such production is excellent, even considering what he is paid.

I guess $6 million for 19 goals is acceptable then. Cammalleri is only as good as the people around him. Why on earth would we pay elite superstar money of $6 million for a player who cannot perform unless he has an elite player with him? Players who make that much money should eb able to carry teams on their back. Be able to produce no matter who they are playing with.

Cammalleri has been beyond a disappointment with the Habs except for that one playoff.

Why are people defending him? He was brought in to score goals and simply isn't. If he was good in other aspects of his game then perhaps we could let this slide but he is also extremely lazy defensively, rarely gives a second effort back checking. $6 million for less than 25 goals is a bust.

On the face of it, the price is surely not worth it. However Cammi was a 19-goal guy in 67 games. The injury was the sepped shoulder - a shooter with a sepped shoulder. He was on pace for around 25, and with a healthy shoulder? He's hit more post than Charlie Sheen driving after a night out. Let's see how things go in the next while, fingers crossed he starts hitting the other side of the post. Right now it's 3 in 12, but it could easily be way more. I think he's on his game, but on the wrong side of the inch. Assuming the Hockey Gods are at least somewhat just, I'm going to predict him going on a bit of a tear shortly to make him look more like the 40-goal guy we want.

The issue with Cammy and producing in the playoffs, is that if he doesn't start producing in the regular season his playoff production with be moot because we wont make it!

Facts are facts... we have made the playoffs and he has produced in them.

He has 7 points in 12 games, which isn't great, but isn't awful either. Like I've been saying the guy is a streaky scorer. Once he gets healthy, I have a feeling he'll have a good streak for 15 games or so, and then his numbers will look a heck of a lot better.

I hope you are correct, I am not on the cammyhate-train but he doesn't bring anything besides his scoring. He is one-dimensional, which is fine, but he has to do that one dimension well, right now he hasn't been doing it.

Cammy was in a joking mood today said he was feeling great if he has less than 5 shots and a goal I would not be happy.

I think he will score though he looked happy

I do agree that he does not seem the same in regular season like he holds something back, I hope the Habs are not silly and get rid of him like some want, unless he brings back some major overpayment.

Back to the topic....man I thought Emelin looked really good last night. He was credited with 7 hits, 7 blocked shots and almost 20 mins of ice time. He still does not look 100% comfortable and is still adjusting to less space and less time but man does this kid look good. I truly hope that Martin decides to sit Diaz for a few games once the team starts to look a little more healthy and then uses Emelin for a good 10 games in a row to truly see what we have.

To those who managed to catch the game last night, a few questions. I'm reading everywhere how Emelin really stepped up and played a very strong and effective game. I think Price even singled him out in an interview. Was he that good last night? Is he positioning himself a little better? And did it look like he was well insulated and therefore playing with optimum chance of success, or was he out there on occasion actually making the right plays against the Hurricanes best (I understand Subsie and Gorgeous were sometimes double-shifted, but they couldn't have blanketed the top two Candy-Cane lines)?

I'm very interested to hear some solid opinions. (i.e. not one-liner responses! ;-) )

Emelin is already a top level physical player and top level shot blocker in this league. His weaknesses are defensive reads, particularly from the side boards/behind the net, as well as his tendency to panic a bit and ice the puck. I think a lot of this is adjustment to the smaller rink/complex system of the Canadiens. In the KHL, there was more dead/safe space for him to put a loose puck to than in the NHL, and plays on the side boards weren't as potentially dangerous as they are here.

He definitely looked good, but he definitely still has a lot of room to grow. I actually think Martin recognizes his potential, but he's in a tough situation with the need to get points right now after that rough start. And I think Diaz looks a lot better the past couple of weeks than he did the previous few, too.

Our D is a lot like Vancouver's last year: a ton of bodies that can play, and Martin will need to manage them better if the team gets healthier.

To those who managed to catch the game last night, a few questions. I'm reading everywhere how Emelin really stepped up and played a very strong and effective game. I think Price even singled him out in an interview. Was he that good last night? Is he positioning himself a little better? And did it look like he was well insulated and therefore playing with optimum chance of success, or was he out there on occasion actually making the right plays against the Hurricanes best (I understand Subsie and Gorgeous were sometimes double-shifted, but they couldn't have blanketed the top two Candy-Cane lines)?

I'm very interested to hear some solid opinions. (i.e. not one-liner responses! ;-) )

It started before the game. For 2 practices Emelin was paired on the ice with Andrei Markov. Although I have no clue what was actually said out there I think Emelin took leaps and bounds just by being on the ice with him. magine not only having to adjust to a whole new game but having to do so while being instructed in a language that you don't speak. A return of markov will have tremendous dividends on the play of Emelin.

As for the game itself he played well. I won't lie and say he was a superstar but you can tell he is more comfortable with the angles and rink size of the NHL. The hit on Tlusty was a really really Komisarek-esque hit that we have not seen in quite some time. He tried throwing his body around a few more times usually choosing to be an aggressor instead of simply removing someone from the play.

Emelin is really strong on his skates. There were a couple of plays where players were either cutting to the net or trying to get position in front of Price and he stood his ground, did not back up and effectively took players out of good scoring positions.

As for his shot blocking he is alot better then I think most of us thought. He doesn't only get hit with the puck he blocks shots. I means truly makes himself look big along the ice and taking away shots.

Again still green and still needs to work on his D-coverage and positioning but you can see he has the tools to easily be a top 4 pairing in this league.

As for his shot blocking he is alot better then I think most of us thought. He doesn't only get hit with the puck he blocks shots. I means truly makes himself look big along the ice and taking away shots.

Again still green and still needs to work on his D-coverage and positioning but you can see he has the tools to easily be a top 4 pairing in this league.

Against Buffalo his first shift was brutal and I was a bit worried. Then on his second shift, he completely thwarted what was at the time the game's first scoring chance with a great block in the slot. His shot blocking ability is incredible, no doubt about it. He's a lot like Volchenkov.

I think that with more ice-time, we will come to appreciate Emelin more and more. Like everyone has already said, Emelin will need some time to adapt to the smaller NHL ice surface, but he is gonna be a really good top 4 d-man.

If he does retire I hope the Habs offer him a job. I bet he could do wonders with morale.

Moving his family again with young children seems annoying so just offer him a 3 year deal as coach of some kind or morale guy and keep him here.

Agreed...I think the Habs would do well to bring Gill into the fold of the team in some capacity once he retires (which I believe will be after this season)...

That said, this organization shunned Larry Robinson a few years ago so I wouldn't hold my breath...

I think that with more ice-time, we will come to appreciate Emelin more and more. Like everyone has already said, Emelin will need some time to adapt to the smaller NHL ice surface, but he is gonna be a really good top 4 d-man.

Exactly!

He just needs to adjust to the smaller rinks/quicker reaction time needed. We also have to remember that he barely speaks any English. I really think that we'll see more of Emelin once Markov is in the lineup. I would go so far as to say that I think they'll be paired together and that Markov's influence will make Emelin a key defenseman by the end of the season...