Fire Pierre Gauthier

C-Love

As much as we need help on the PP. I think it was a horrible trade. Main reason is my perception of Kaberle. He has been a great consistent point producer with a very lousy team. He is a guy who until the trade to Boston last year hadn't sniffed the playoffs, in what, 4 or 5 years??? His regular season point production was with a team with no expectation for success. It was a team that was a losing team that as expected to keep losing. He and his production did nothing to help the team get into the playoffs. To me he was the Bernie Federko of defensemen. Put up the numbers, but didn't really help his team win (at least Federko did make the playoffs more regularly!!!!).

It's a lot easier to produce when teams aren't up for you, because how lousy you are. I compare Kabalre with a guy like Ollie Jokinen or Bouwmeester. Guys that for the bulk of their careers didn't sniff the playoffs (Bouwmeester still hasn't). This guys grow up in an environment and culture of losing and have been losers werever they went. IN Bouwwmeesters case he was even a loser in junior.

I want winners, guys who care about nothing but winning. Not guys who are so content at losing, they block chances to go to a winning team.

Kaberle is also a soft player. A guy who has never been willing to pay the price to get to the next level. Plays like he is afraid to get hit.

These are the reasons why i didn't want Kaberle and that is why i still think its a lousy trade. For me the added risk is the two additional years on his contract that we may be stuck with a guy who seems perfectly content with being a soft, loser.

Habs29, I think we can all agree with you that it's best to have a team full of star-calibre players who are proven winners and who have been happily locked up for substantially less than market value.

But then there is the real world.

The fact is that in Gionta, Gill, and Moen (and even Gomez) Uncle Bob went out and acquired a nucleus of guys who were proven winners, with Cup rings. Presumably you should love these guys (well OK, not Gomez), except they're 'overpaid' in your world, so instead they are proof of inept management.

Then there's Kostitsyn, who has never shown the slightest sign of being a 'winner,' yet you love him to death and want him locked up forever.

Meanwhile, we have Kaberle, a 40-50 point defenceman signed for three years at what is actually not an egregious rate - probably in the region of what we'll have to pay Kosty - but despise him because he is 'not a winner' (despite hoisting the Cup and playing significant minutes with the Prunes last playoffs).

Yes, Kaberle will never be team captain or lead the league in hits. But he has clear hockey strengths that this organization seriously needed. I have no problem with fans hating or liking players for somewhat arbitrary reasons, but that still doesn't make that a 'horrible trade' - unless we are indeed forced to let talented UFAs walk because of the contract.

WINNING.

That is the cure all. If you are winning, people learn to accept/tolerate individuals they have an issue with.

Same with coaches. If you are winning and having success, guys like Cammy may be willing to sacrifice some production for team success. When a player is struggling AND the team is struggling, the coaches message gets lost.

BTH is completely right to say that the idea of internal divisions is speculative. That is the vibe I'm getting off these guys. The symptoms of a team with chemistry problems are not losing per se, but rather losing listlessly, not sacrificing to help each other, not trusting each other on the ice, being completely out of sync. While the team perhaps isn't as bad as all that. its play is not normal and has not been for a while. Last season's group got everything out of itself. This year is the opposite. Nevertheless, I could still be quite wrong that internal problems are the root of all this.

If, however, I'm not wrong, then I don't ultimately see what choice you have other than to move the feuding players. I'm NOT talking about 'addition by subtraction,' a logic I completely reject. I'm talking about making deals that bring comparable talent back but address one or two key 'chemistry problems;' you can cite Chelios-Savard all you like, but Serge Savard also moved Corson for Damphousse and Courtnall for Bellows as a response to such chemistry problems, and in doing so acquired 2/3 of our 1993 first line. That's more in the way of what I have in mind.

it was but according to both Dreger and Mckenzie Carolina approached more than just Columbus and offered the very same Kaberle and a second.

Yes; but what was it offered for? Players of Spacek's caliber, age and contract status? or the equivalent of a young kid who still has potential in Brassard?

Question: If you are columbus would you trade Brassard for Spacek? I wouldn't.

So if Brassard is the asking price for Kaberle + 2nd; why would Carolina ever dream of offering the same for Spacek?

The fact Kaberle was slumping was not the issue I had it was more the fact that because of this deal we are handcuffed with the salaries we have and players we need to sign. It is going to ake some creative management in order to get the guys we need re-signed.

Under other circumstances I would actually go with that trade because of the risk vs reward scenario. Just don't like our cap situation.

Gomez

Bob and Trevor Timmons are the reason for this ineptitude, their infatuation with the USHL has set this franchise back several years, started with Komisarek then Higgins,

neither komisarek or higgins were drafted by Gainey and Timmons.

then Fisher,

Fisher is a mistake.

then McDonough,

McDonaugh was a great pick, he's playing awesome for the Rangers. picking him was not a mistake; trading him was.

oh and from 2007 you forgot the other first round pick.... Max Pacioretty... another player who looks awesome.

then Kristo and it basically hasn't stopped,

Kristo was a second round pick.

And he's still in College FFS... a little early to call him a bust or not very good.

Oh and you forgot Louis Leblanc in your little rant as well.

none, if any of their moronic American Highschool picks have gone on to be above average to very good, god forbid you expect one of your picks to be very good to great. There you go 5 1st round draft picks that are complete garbage, hit on 2 or 3 of those and you are not one of the worst teams in the NHL right now.

http://www.hockeydb....dr00006929.html

Gauthier sucks but this is the man we should demand be fired immediately, he flat out sucks at his job, what a pathetic resume he has, Ottawa is where he developed his hockey IQ, that says it all.

http://canadiens.nhl...ge.htm?id=52840

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Drafting isn't even close to the problem.

I've changed my mind... Fire Gauthier.

I never thought the team quit on Martin, they gave effort and were competitive night in/night out.

This team has now quit.

I find it hard to believe they are quitting on Cunneyworth.... they've quit on management.

<br>

Habs29, I think we can all agree with you that it&#39;s best to have a team full of star-calibre players who are proven winners and who have been happily locked up for substantially less than market value.<br>

<br>

But then there is the real world.<br>

<br>

The fact is that in Gionta, Gill, and Moen (and even Gomez) Uncle Bob went out and acquired a nucleus of guys who were proven winners, with Cup rings. Presumably you should <em>love </em>these guys (well OK, not Gomez), except they&#39;re &#39;overpaid&#39; in your world, so instead they are proof of inept management.<br>

<br>

<strong>Then there&#39;s Kostitsyn, who has never shown the slightest sign of being a &#39;winner,&#39; yet you love him to death and want him locked up forever.<br>

<br>

Meanwhile, we have Kaberle, a 40-50 point defenceman signed for three years at what is actually not an egregious rate - probably in the region of what we&#39;ll have to pay Kosty - but despise him because he is &#39;not a winner&#39; (despite hoisting the Cup and playing significant minutes with the Prunes last playoffs).</strong><br>

<br>

Yes, Kaberle will never be team captain or lead the league in hits. But he has clear hockey strengths that this organization seriously needed. I have no problem with fans hating or liking players for somewhat arbitrary reasons, but that still doesn&#39;t make that a &#39;horrible trade&#39; - unless we are indeed forced to let talented UFAs walk because of the contract.<br>

AK46 is 27 years old. Kaberle is 33. Ak46 and SK74 put up with crap in Montreal with the media circus and were tried in the media for no reason other then they were russian (Belursan). He has been becoming a more complete player each year and I would say after Price and Cole, he has been our most consistent player.

Kaberle was playing for a losing team that was trying to dump him for the last three years. Each year he was more content playing for a lousy, crappy team then a chance to play for a winter.

AK46 would be a 30-40 goal scorer with a coach who is willing to give him the chance and ice time he deserves. Until Cole got here, he was our most physical player. He has an upside and WILL break out when he leaves Montreal next year. Kaberle is in decline. He performed well when there weren't any pressure - leafs were losers and he was content being a loser.

There is no comparsion. I wouldn't pay $3M for Kaberle. I would have no hesitation paying $4.5M to AK46. He is a player you want in your core. Cole represents years of losing. Why are the Canes so bad - too many guys from the leafs being picked up over the last few years. Guys brought over from a culture of losing. They could have kept Cole for the same money they gave to Kaberle. Tell me who would you rather have - Cole or Kaberle.

As far as the guys you cited from the "Great" Gainey rebuild of 2009. Think about this - none of the guys Gainey signed were wanted by their teams. Even though they didn't have to match the habs deals - they could have discounted their offers to account for the premium montreal had to pay for the ridiculous Quebec taxes (As an aside, i bet that if Quebec got rid of their language police, they could probably get their tax rates in line with the rest of the "have" provinces - but that's another discussion).

The only guy Gainey signed that i liked was Cammy and even then, I said I hated the contract - for what they paid, the habs were bidding pretty much bidding against themselves (kind of like the Rangers and Redden).

I hated the GOmez trade from the moment it was made (from what I recall, you were over-joyed). Even Sather has said recently, he couldn't believe he was actually able to get McDonough. It was a dumb, dumb, dumb trade by Gainey.I didn't see it as a gamble then. It was just simply a dumb trade by a guy who should have known better. Although, I guess we shouldn't really surprised though - given the players that Gainey was trading for Lecavalier in the deal that the NHL shot down, due to the Tamp ownership situation.

I think too many people here romanticize Gainey's tenure too much, because he was a hall of famer and one of the all-time great habs and also because his predecessors could almost challenge Mike Milbury as the worst NHL GM's ever. I did not think Gainey was a great GM, I don't even think he was even a good GM. I loved Gainey the player. I hated Gainey the GM. The only home run trade he had was Kovolev. The GOrges/MaxPac draft pick was great, but then a 1st rounder/prospect was the going rate at the time for a dman at the deadline from cup contenders. Gainey had the same damn policy of not leaking info as PG. When Rivet was traded, Burke even said, he wished he had known Rivet was available. That pretty much tells you that the Rivet deal wasn't highway robbery. The bonehead move by him at the time was not moving Souray - especially if Bobby Ryan was a possiblity at the time for Souray.

I didn't like the Gionta signing, because of the term/$ - Lou who loved Gionta told him to take the Montreal, deal, becuase there was no way he could come close. Think about that. Lou wasn't willing to sign Gionta to a deal, even though he could have discounted the dollars to account for the higher Quebec taxes. Also remember, that GIonta was a last second plan B after Kovolev re-engaged on the verbal deal he had with Gainey. I like Gionta, but even with the habs tax sitatution, I wouldn't pay him more then $4M and there was no way I would have signed him him for more then 3 years.

Lastly regarding the cup winners we acquired. Moen and Gill were depth players on good teams. If Gainey had gotten the main cogs from cup winning teams, i would have been impressed. Instead he got guys who won the cup and priced themselves above what they were worth. Yes I think even at $1.5M Gill is over priced. Even Gionta and Gomez weren't the straws that stirred the drink in the Devil's cup wins.

On to Gill. The guy is a one trick pony - good on the PK. Big and useless otherwise. But you make it sound like Gainey signed Boyle (who I had hoped the habs would chase when he was available from Tampa was trying to dump him). You know guys who were key players behind the cup win, not complementary pieces.

I could go on with other dumb signings like Samsonov (anyone who watched him in Edmonton, regularly flub up breakaways, because he was stick handling so much on clear break aways, that the defenders always caught up with him were probably laughing their heads off - I know my freinds that are edmonton fans were laughing at me).

Or other dumb signings like Laracque. The guy was a bum. I hated the signing and said as much, but a lot of people were thrilled to pick up a tough guy. Didn't matter he couldn't really play, but he as tough. Based on his play, I think Koivu was ten times tougher the Laraaque ever was at half the size. And how did Gainey treat Koivu - let him walk and replaced him with a bum like Gomez. Based on how Koivu was treated, the habs almost deserve to be in this situation. Anyways, i'm too pissed of at the game and could probably go on for another hour given my current mood.

I never thought the team quit on Martin, they gave effort and were competitive night in/night out.

This team has now quit.

I find it hard to believe they are quitting on Cunneyworth.... they've quit on management.

nice to have you come over from the dark side! :B)

This team has now quit.

I think what they're quitting on is not Gauthier per se but the organization. They are all thinking the same things we are: owner/GM not on same page, interim coach thrown under the bus by owner, everything is interim: no plan, no structure, a season of chaos to be followed by - well, no one knows. And quite understandably they are demoralized and unmotivated.

The first thing that has to happen after the Cup is awarded this year is that Molson has to either extend Gauthier's contract while singing his praises - about as likely as me buying season tickets to the Leafs - or sweep the whole front office clean and hire very credible people ASAP. Otherwise we stand to lose Gorges (not to mention Kostitsyn, although I suspect he could be retained with money) and have little chance of locking Price and Subban to any sort of term, let alone discounts.

Terribly, terribly disapppointing. Not as bad as 2009 in terms of sheer letdown, but goddamn it, we had a good team.

I think what they're quitting on is not Gauthier per se but the organization. They are all thinking the same things we are: owner/GM not on same page, interim coach thrown under the bus by owner, everything is interim: no plan, no structure, a season of chaos to be followed by - well, no one knows. And quite understandably they are demoralized and unmotivated.

The first thing that has to happen after the Cup is awarded this year is that Molson has to either extend Gauthier's contract while singing his praises - about as likely as me buying season tickets to the Leafs - or sweep the whole front office clean and hire very credible people ASAP. Otherwise we stand to lose Gorges (not to mention Kostitsyn, although I suspect he could be retained with money) and have little chance of locking Price and Subban to any sort of term, let alone discounts.

Terribly, terribly disapppointing. Not as bad as 2009 in terms of sheer letdown, but goddamn it, we had a good team.

I think the only chance we have is Molsen borrows some balls from his wife (I'm assuming someone in that family has a pair) and fires Gauthier, speaks permission from the wings to speak about their assistant GM Jim Nill and have a press conference where he gives the french media and the culture minister the finger. Only then he may be able to win back the players.

Yea, no kidding, Weird how everyone is on PG. I wonder why people don;t call out the players/

PG made some good moves, improved the team. His failure IMO was signing an injured defenseman who hasn't played in a long time. he had the chance to get the proven D man Wis who did well as a hab.

It's not PG fault the team is leading the league in ijuries, the players simply aren't producing.

I do think he panicked with Kaberle and throwing JM out, then throwing Cunneyworth to the wolves.

If they are going to fire PG< they better have a GM, management team and some coaching options set in place. With a strategy of what type of team do you want the habs to be.

Wow, guys, go take a nap. That's really in no way appropriate.

Agreed, thats a little overboard.

Yea, no kidding, Weird how everyone is on PG. I wonder why people don;t call out the players/

PG made some good moves, improved the team. His failure IMO was signing an injured defenseman who hasn't played in a long time. he had the chance to get the proven D man Wis who did well as a hab.

It's not PG fault the team is leading the league in ijuries, the players simply aren't producing.

I do think he panicked with Kaberle and throwing JM out, then throwing Cunneyworth to the wolves.

If they are going to fire PG< they better have a GM, management team and some coaching options set in place. With a strategy of what type of team do you want the habs to be.

I still like PG's moves... but something is wrong. Are the players quitting on management? This is embarassing.

Sorry I am not sorry.

I was just asking a question.

In fact I would feel bad he would ruin his family's Christmas he should at least wait till the new year.

:)

In other news

Gainey arrived at MTS centre during the game I guess.

So Goat is probably done.

Sorry I am not sorry.

I was just asking a question.

In fact I would feel bad he would ruin his family's Christmas he should at least wait till the new year.

:)

In other news

Gainey arrived at MTS centre during the game I guess.

So Goat is probably done.

I wouldn't mind Gainey as interim GM if that move needs to be made.

Let him come in with a mandate that he needs to trade the UFAs and such for draft picks.

Then the new GM can take over with as many future assets as possible.

I wouldn't mind Gainey as interim GM if that move needs to be made.

Let him come in with a mandate that he needs to trade the UFAs and such for draft picks.

Then the new GM can take over with as many future assets as possible.

I didn't like Gainey's last moves, but I think having him as in interim GM is probably the only option - unless he comes in to try and salvage this season - we are beyond that stage.

I didn't like Gainey's last moves, but I think having him as in interim GM is probably the only option - unless he comes in to try and salvage this season - we are beyond that stage.

I think if he comes in, the mandate is to get the team ready for the next guy.

The best time to hire the next guy is in the summer. I doubt a team like Detroit would let you interview Nill right now, but they would once they are out of the playoffs. Plus there will be other candidates out there who are with teams now too.

It's not that Gauthier made bad player moves on the whole, it's that Markov's knee didn't heal, the team quit on Martin, and now there is this lame duck coach and confused messages being sent by upper management. And (like I keep speculating, based purely on precedent) possibly inner rifts beyond that.

I don't mind Gauthier remaining in place, or being fired; but whatever happens it is absolutely imperative that it be done in a convincing way that charts a stable path for the future. Two ways to do that: one, let Gauthier oversee a dismantling/retooling of the team, then extend his contract, signalling that this is indeed his team going forward; two, fire him and replace him with an upgrade or at least a lateral move. What must not happen is any substantial movement of assets to 'save the season.' The game is either to retool for next year or to begin yet another rebuild.

I'm not sure what Gainey stepping in would accomplish, other than perhaps bring some of that aura that Gainey has. But he'd still be the interim guy and possibly a victim of the forthcoming purge himself. Is it just a matter of credibility - ?

Poor PG. If suspicions are correct and the JM firing/Cunneyworth thing was ownership-driven, he is now to be sacrficed on the altar of his boss's bungling interference. That's hockey I guess.

We're on the same page evaluating PG's moves CC. But the team I've seen the last two nights has quit.

I went on for a long time how the team never quit on JM. How he never lost the room... and I fully believe that still today. His team was competitive, he had the guys working for him.

The group right now... they aren't working. And I think its hard to say they've quit on Cunneyworth, he's been the coach for less than a week.

So who did they quit on? Management/Ownership and you can't fire the owner.

You need some credibility in there.

We're on the same page evaluating PG's moves CC. But the team I've seen the last two nights has quit.

I went on for a long time how the team never quit on JM. How he never lost the room... and I fully believe that still today. His team was competitive, he had the guys working for him.

The group right now... they aren't working. And I think its hard to say they've quit on Cunneyworth, he's been the coach for less than a week.

So who did they quit on? Management/Ownership and you can't fire the owner.

You need some credibility in there.

OK, I'll buy that. Always liked Gainey anyway. ;)

Maybe the deeper question is: do you want a retooling for next season, like the Flyers basically did when they missed the playoffs a few years ago; or do you want a sustained rebuild. Obviously I prefer the former because I still think this team is vastly better on paper than this dismal season has shown.

It's not that Gauthier made bad player moves on the whole, it's that Markov's knee didn't heal, the team quit on Martin, and now there is this lame duck coach and confused messages being sent by upper management. And (like I keep speculating, based purely on precedent) possibly inner rifts beyond that.

I don't mind Gauthier remaining in place, or being fired; but whatever happens it is absolutely imperative that it be done in a convincing way that charts a stable path for the future. Two ways to do that: one, let Gauthier oversee a dismantling/retooling of the team, then extend his contract, signalling that this is indeed his team going forward; two, fire him and replace him with an upgrade or at least a lateral move.

I'm not sure what Gainey stepping in would accomplish, other than perhaps bring some of that aura that Gainey has. But he'd still be the interim guy and possibly a victim of the forthcoming purge himself. Is it just a matter of credibility - ?

Poor PG. If suspicions are correct and the JM firing/Cunneyworth thing was ownership-driven, he is now to be sacrficed on the altar of his boss's bungling interference. That's hockey I guess.

I don't think PG can stay. Frankly, I think the players are probably more disgusted with the team knuckling under to political pressure then any internal rift. If there is a rift it is probably about a lack of accountability. When young players see the crap play of the veterans and guys who should be leaders, why should they give a damn???

When game after game, after game, young players keep hearing JM throw them under the bus while Cammy was sucking worse then Gomez before he got hurt, what message does that send to the young players about accountability?? When Eller and Subban are benched when every friggin veteran, with the exception of Price lays an egg, what message does that send to them tonight???

If I'm Molson, I dump Gauthier before the break and have Gainey address the players and give them a clear message that EVERYONE is going to be held accountable going forward. A video should be shown of the hit to Emelin and the players should be chewed out for being pussies and things need to change. Next game against Ottawa, Cammy should be sat to prove the point. Campoli sitting.

The rest of this season should be about getting the development of MaxPac, Eller, Emelin, Subban, DD back on track. Cammy should be taken aside and told, that if he wants out, he better strart friggin producing and be willing to break a nail and mess up his mascara, otherwise if he is traded it will be to a team like the Islanders or Blue Jackets.

Maybe the deeper question is: do you want a retooling for next season, like the Flyers basically did when they missed the playoffs a few years ago; or do you want a sustained rebuild. Obviously I prefer the former because I still think this team is vastly better on paper than this dismal season has shown.

Jim Nill.

I don't think PG can stay. Frankly, I think the players are probably more disgusted with the team knuckling under to political pressure then any internal rift. If there is a rift it is probably about a lack of accountability. When young players see the crap play of the veterans and guys who should be leaders, why should they give a damn???

When game after game, after game, young players keep hearing JM throw them under the bus while Cammy was sucking worse then Gomez before he got hurt, what message does that send to the young players about accountability?? When Eller and Subban are benched when every friggin veteran, with the exception of Price lays an egg, what message does that send to them tonight???

If I'm Molson, I dump Gauthier before the break and have Gainey address the players and give them a clear message that EVERYONE is going to be held accountable going forward. A video should be shown of the hit to Emelin and the players should be chewed out for being pussies and things need to change. Next game against Ottawa, Cammy should be sat to prove the point. Campoli sitting.

The rest of this season should be about getting the development of MaxPac, Eller, Emelin, Subban, DD back on track. Cammy should be taken aside and told, that if he wants out, he better strart friggin producing and be willing to break a nail and mess up his mascara, otherwise if he is traded it will be to a team like the Islanders or Blue Jackets.

Jim Nill.

Unlikely as it sounds, we are in total agreement on these boldfaced points. The season is a wash; let's concentrate on youth. Of course, it has to be said that doing this may actually require benching them and using them in ways you disagree with here and there. The path of player development never did run straight. As for the vets, I don't think you get anywhere by blaming them publicly, but they absolutely should be held accountable on the ice and benching Eller in particular, rather than Cammy, was very odd.

Jim Nill = no brainer. We may or may not appreciate Gainey's tenure as GM, but the fact is that when he was available, he was far and away the best man for the job and the Habs aggressively went after him and got him. In contrast, Gauthier was an insider hired without any external search. Molson needs to take that earlier, get-your-man-at-all-costs attitude and bring Nill aboard. Provided we have a bilingual coach, I do not believe an anglo GM will cause too many problems once the initial outrage subsides.

I want a retool....

My plan

Take the team we have now

Minus Weber - traded for a forward prospect or draft pick.

Minus Campoli - traded for a forward prospect or draft pick.

Minus Gill - traded for a forward prospect or draft pick.

Minus Darche - explore all trade options at deadline, even for a 7th round pick.... still doubtful he's traded, he walks as a UFA.

Minus Gomez - figure out how... anything..... new CBA, traded, buried in minors... something because you need this cap space.

Add Coach Gerard Gallant

Add Healthy Andrei markov.

Attempt to Re-Sign Travis Moen, Josh Gorges, Andrei kostitsyn. Start negotiations in January. Give them fair offers, but tell their agents that the offer is only on the table until 48 hours before the trade deadline. If they still won't sign trade them.

Whoever of Moen, Gorges, Kosty is traded at the deadline, find a replacement via UFA (you can even make them offers to come back on July 1st) but gotta re-sign or replace these guys.

Add a Legitmate C who can play a 1a/1b role with Plekanec; turn every stone to find one in the trade market. If none becomes available offer a 1 year stop gap deal to Olli Jokinen... but thats just a stop gap.

Sign Physical Third Pairing/7th defenceman in UFA. (Candidates Andy Sutton, Kurt Sauer, Shane O'Brien, Aaron Rome)

Lineup

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Cole

Pacioretty - #1B Centre - Gionta

Desharnais - Eller - AKostitsyn

Moen - Nokaleinen - White

First Callups: Leblanc, Palushaj, Gallagher, Kristo

Defence

Markov - Gorges

Emelin - Subban

Kaberle - UFA D

Extra: Diaz

Price

Budaj

I want a retool....

My plan

Take the team we have now

Minus Weber - traded for a forward prospect or draft pick.

Minus Campoli - traded for a forward prospect or draft pick.

Minus Gill - traded for a forward prospect or draft pick.

Minus Darche - explore all trade options at deadline, even for a 7th round pick.... still doubtful he's traded, he walks as a UFA.

Minus Gomez - figure out how... anything..... new CBA, traded, buried in minors... something because you need this cap space.

Add Coach Gerard Gallant

Add Healthy Andrei markov.

Attempt to Re-Sign Travis Moen, Josh Gorges, Andrei kostitsyn. Start negotiations in January. Give them fair offers, but tell their agents that the offer is only on the table until 48 hours before the trade deadline. If they still won't sign trade them.

Whoever of Moen, Gorges, Kosty is traded at the deadline, find a replacement via UFA (you can even make them offers to come back on July 1st) but gotta re-sign or replace these guys.

Add a Legitmate C who can play a 1a/1b role with Plekanec; turn every stone to find one in the trade market. If none becomes available offer a 1 year stop gap deal to Olli Jokinen... but thats just a stop gap.

Sign Physical Third Pairing/7th defenceman in UFA. (Candidates Andy Sutton, Kurt Sauer, Shane O'Brien, Aaron Rome)

Lineup

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Cole

Pacioretty - #1B Centre - Gionta

Desharnais - Eller - AKostitsyn

Moen - Nokaleinen - White

First Callups: Leblanc, Palushaj, Gallagher, Kristo

Defence

Markov - Gorges

Emelin - Subban

Kaberle - UFA D

Extra: Diaz

Price

Budaj

Given that I like our team on paper, I could get behind that. It's pretty conservative, though, and I suspect that Cammalleri might be an element in a trade for that elusive C. People will say he's untradable because of his contract, but with his playoff track-record and career numbers, I think some teams will be interested.