Patrick Holland signs 3 year deal

dlbalr

I think his stats, though nice, are really over-inflated relative to what they'd be if he was the guy on a line so I think people need to keep their expectations in check. He has succeeded as a checking forward in junior though which gives me hope that he could be a bottom six guy with a bit of offensive potential down the road. My guess is that he's a better version of Ben Maxwell.

Quick write-up on the deal: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2751 When contract details are available, I'll add them.

So fair to say that all 5 Hamilton UFA's will not be be back next season? Plus a couple RFA's going untendered (Mitera, Slaney)?

Gotta make room for the contracts of Tinordi, Gallagher, Bournival, and Ellis, plus probable guys like Beaulieu, Pateryn and Kristo...

I think it's too early to make that call on the UFA's. A team that's as young as Hamilton looks like they'll be will want some veterans to help shoulder the load. Whether or not that will include any of their unrestricted guys remains to be seen (I'd be throwing good money at Stafford to keep him around) but I think they'll make space for a couple of veteran guys. You noted Slaney and Mitera as likely to be non-tendered, I'd add Bishop to that list for sure as well while Nokelainen to me is almost a sure non-tender with the Habs. There won't be much room for dead weight guys though, that's for sure.

Happy to see this kid signed.

Hope he turns out to be an nhler.

He is a great skater and seems very defensively smart, so a future as a 3rd/4th line NHL is a good bet (but i am always overly optimistic).

I have seen play several games and every one he was a stand out, with the announcers always throwing glowing remarks at his play and last night he played vs Gallagher and Vancouver Giants and had 2 assists in a 2-1 win, so again he must of be a game star.

I will be very curious to see how he does in AHL next fall, he/Kristo/Gallagher/Bournival/Trunev/Quailer should add some life to that team and with Tinordi/Beaulieu/Pateryn added on the back end, should be interesting and good competition.

We should start calling players like Holland the "Gorges of the deal". That guy who isn't the focus of the trade who might become it.

i love every part of that deal, Bourque is big body, physical/bit dirty, great skater and good PK guy at fair price, a likely early 2nd round pick, Holland and best of all shedding a major overpaid underachiever with a huge ego and less grit than even Kessel.

I'll be adding it to the site shortly but his deal is identical to Ellis' pact from the NHL salary to the AHL salary to the bonuses.

i dont think we thank you enought for all the extra stuff you do around here...... so thanks

I think it's too early to make that call on the UFA's. A team that's as young as Hamilton looks like they'll be will want some veterans to help shoulder the load. Whether or not that will include any of their unrestricted guys remains to be seen (I'd be throwing good money at Stafford to keep him around) but I think they'll make space for a couple of veteran guys. You noted Slaney and Mitera as likely to be non-tendered, I'd add Bishop to that list for sure as well while Nokelainen to me is almost a sure non-tender with the Habs. There won't be much room for dead weight guys though, that's for sure.

I get that it is too early. Since you have included Nokelainen, I am wondering about Conboy, Fortier at AHL level and Darche/Staubitz/Blunden and Engqvist? Any thoughts

i dont think we thank you enought for all the extra stuff you do around here...... so thanks

Thanks for the kind words.

I get that it is too early. Since you have included Nokelainen, I am wondering about Conboy, Fortier at AHL level and Darche/Staubitz/Blunden and Engqvist? Any thoughts

I think both Conboy/Fortier get qualified. Both have shown positive signs at times this year and neither will get snatched off waivers, they could be some of the veteran depth. I think Darche ultimately re-signs with the Habs. Staubitz is a toss up, depends on whether or not the new coach wants a goon. Blunden could be non-qualified or could stick as a 13th forward...or be waived for Hamilton, no clue there. I can't see them not qualifying Engqvist; even if he wants to go back overseas, they can do what they did with Klubertanz - qualify him and hold his rights.

I think both Conboy/Fortier get qualified. Both have shown positive signs at times this year and neither will get snatched off waivers, they could be some of the veteran depth. I think Darche ultimately re-signs with the Habs. Staubitz is a toss up, depends on whether or not the new coach wants a goon. Blunden could be non-qualified or could stick as a 13th forward...or be waived for Hamilton, no clue there. I can't see them not qualifying Engqvist; even if he wants to go back overseas, they can do what they did with Klubertanz - qualify him and hold his rights.

Didn't they tell Blunden to "get an apartment" in Montreal?

I would think that means he's more likely to re-sign than be non-tendered.

Didn't they tell Blunden to "get an apartment" in Montreal?

I would think that means he's more likely to re-sign than be non-tendered.

all that "get an apartment" means is that you are likely to be on the team for the rest of the season. No guarantees for next year. However I bet they sign him, he wasn't a bad 4th liner and brings some physical play.