Andrei Markov placed on Active Roster

Commandant

Great news indeed. Hopefully he can get a few games under his belt to finish off the season. Would be really important heading into next season to know that we can count on Markov to be a key contributor once again!

WOW

Shocked for sure.

I hope he plays

I hope he does not propel the Habs out of top 5 pick.

Lets say he plays 4 games and reinjures his knee again... would that mean if its serious again that we get his caphit back next year?

If he is out ala marc savard he would be LTIR and Habs could go over the cap but his number yes.

Lets say he plays 4 games and reinjures his knee again... would that mean if its serious again that we get his caphit back next year?

If he's on LTIR, he's on LTIR. For the amount of time he is on there, the Habs will be able to exceed the cap by Markov's cap hit, it's not a cap credit like some think.

By the way, this is significant enough to warrant its own thread, I agree with Commandant.

The big issue with LTIR is that it is very difficult to use for a major move unless the player will not be returning to the roster in that season. As long as there is a chance Markov can return in season it really handcuffs the team. If he's gets injured and decides to sit out the whole year, we can use the money... if he's injured and will be back in December, it creates a problem and really is only used for callups and such (if at all).

Outstanding :thumbs_up: If Markov somehow makes a full recovery, next season automatically looks much brighter. Take hope where you can find it.

I concur, I hope he plays, will be interesting to see that number on the ice again!

Sasquatch is back. "He'll be back for the start of the season..." "He'll be returning during a Christmas west coast trip..." "He will be available shortly after the all-star break" "Markov Activated." I really hope he's back and his first hit isn't from Zach Kassian.

He's going to be flying, and him paired with Emelin will be very entertaining. I wonder if his return has thrown Emelin off in the past 3 games, he hasn't been himself. Playing with one of his countrymen/heroes will be a boon to his game.

Markov's possible return is fantastic, I almost feel like it's a playoff game. I hope he has some luck on his side, and that he can finish his career healthy, and with our favorite team for many years to come.

It was not easy for Markov yesterday. You could see that transitions were tough, and that his usual agility was not the same. Looking at his play yesterday night, we can't be sure that he will ever be the same player. On the other hand, even if he was the shadow of himself, I saw an incredible bomb to Pacioretty, the nice little deflection to Subban on the PP, and a few real good first passes to clear the defensive zone, something even Gorges and Subban can't do as often as I would like. I have no doubt, now, that his injury has cost us the season; that we would have gone further in the playoffs in the last two years if he had been healthy. It's as simple as that: one player, but he is a star, our best player. Gauthier had no choice, but to take the chance and sign him; there are very few players like him in the league.

Imagine if he could back come back next year at the top of his game...

His passing has looked good.

Skating not so much.

The skating can be regained though, power training in the summer and just general playing till the rust wears off... I'm happier to see that his vision and passing and hockey sense is intact!

Diaz will be back next year. He needs to get stronger, but it's something he can fix during the summer. Weber and Campoli are gone, IMO. I don't know if Kaberle will be back; I would not mind to start the year with him, if Markov is in good shape and ready to go. If not, there's always the possibility of making a trade. And we don't know if one of the youngsters could make a big surprise at the training camp. We have got some good prospects coming along: Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, Pateryn and Saint-Denis. Who knows, we might even get a good one in the coming draft.

I'm fine with Markov, Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Diaz and Kaberle for next season. It's certainly lacking toughness but with our 5 on 5 improved, our PK top in the league and Markov returning, I think you could expect us to have a strong PP with Markov/Subban on the first PP and Kaberle/Diaz likely on the second. That's good enough to catch a few teams.

It ain't perfect but it would get us in the post-season if it stayed healthy.

I'm fine with Markov, Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Diaz and Kaberle for next season.  It's certainly lacking toughness but with our 5 on 5 improved, our PK top in the league and Markov returning, I think you could expect us to have a strong PP with Markov/Subban on the first PP and Kaberle/Diaz likely on the second.  That's good enough to catch a few teams.

It ain't perfect but it would get us in the post-season if it stayed healthy.

it really needs another big tough D IMO.  There is room since that is only 6 guys you listed. I dont want to see other teams cycle on us all day anymore. I'm also wary of handing Emelin a top 4 spot with no backup plan, seen too many D sophomore slump

it really needs another big tough D IMO. There is room since that is only 6 guys you listed. I dont want to see other teams cycle on us all day anymore. I'm also wary of handing Emelin a top 4 spot with no backup plan, seen too many D sophomore slump

It definitely needs another big tough D but there's really no room if Kaberle is under contract and Diaz is likely not going to be a seventh man, 40 game guy. I'm pretty hard on the guy but he's looked upon as a top rookie this year (fifth in D scoring, only five points from top scoring rookie Gardiner). I'm sure the team feels the same. There's also Weber still siting there.

I think Diaz is going to be cemented as the sixth D-Man and the team won't get a big tough D until Kaberle either plays out his contract, gets traded or gets bought out.

It definitely needs another big tough D but there's really no room if Kaberle is under contract and Diaz is likely not going to be a seventh man, 40 game guy.  I'm pretty hard on the guy but he's looked upon as a top rookie this year (fifth in D scoring, only five points from top scoring rookie Gardiner).  I'm sure the team feels the same.  There's also Weber still siting there.

I think Diaz is going to be cemented as the sixth D-Man and the team won't get a big tough D until Kaberle either plays out his contract, gets traded or gets bought out.

Diaz as the 7th likely gets close to 55-60 games.  I'm fine with extra depth.  I see Weber as being gone.

it really needs another big tough D IMO. There is room since that is only 6 guys you listed. I dont want to see other teams cycle on us all day anymore. I'm also wary of handing Emelin a top 4 spot with no backup plan, seen too many D sophomore slump

At 25 years old, 26 next year, and with the experience he got in the KHL, Emelin doesn't qualify as a rookie to me. I don't see him having a sophomore slump next year.

Weber being gone would be good.

I still think the team sees Diaz as an 82 game sophomore.

I just dont see how a team can dress Markov Subban Kabs and Diaz all as regulars. I dont like a Kaberle - Diaz pair either, like I said in the other thread he needs a stay at home partner where they work together to cover their partner's weakness.

But even if you are right, a 7th like Shane OBrien would still help in those 55-60 games.