Scott Mellanby named Director of Player Personnel

Commandant

Scott Mellanby, assistant coach of the Blues, resigned today saying he doesn't want to coach but wants to pursue hockey management opportunities.

Bob McKenzie is speculating on Twitter that he's headed to Montreal.

Without checking here I thought Mellanby was a Montrealer. I cannot see him as head coach so bringing in an assistant coach before naming your head coach would make no sense. Would he be joining management or will he be a possible candidate for Hamilton?

Without checking here I thought Mellanby was a Montrealer. I cannot see him as head coach so bringing in an assistant coach before naming your head coach would make no sense. Would he be joining management or will he be a possible candidate for Hamilton?

Mellanby is from Montreal. It's believed he wants an office role, otherwise he would have stayed in St. Louis.

He already said he wants a front office role....

My guess would be that it is somewhere else. Does he speak French? Do we have an up grade position for him? Has he any history with Bergevin? Does Toronto make any sense? Calgary?

He's from Montreal, and as he was an assistant coach, we have a ton of upgrade positions for him.

With the number of teams he played for (and Bergevin too) I bet they crossed paths at some point.

He already said he wants a front office role....

He's from Montreal, and as he was an assistant coach, we have a ton of upgrade positions for him.

With the number of teams he played for (and Bergevin too) I bet they crossed paths at some point.

Indeed..

2001-2002 St. Louis Blues

http://www.hockeydb....lay.php?pid=350

http://www.hockeydb....ay.php?pid=3664

I didn't know he was from Montreal. Sounds like he just wants to come home and stay in hockey somehow. Was he not in Florida when Dudley was there? Maybe thats the connection.

No, Mellanby left Florida in 2001. Dudley was hired as Panthers coach mid-season 03-04

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Dudley

• Upvote 1

I didn't know he was from Montreal. Sounds like he just wants to come home and stay in hockey somehow. Was he not in Florida when Dudley was there? Maybe thats the connection.

He was also the captain of Atlanta I beleive when Hartley was coach. Just saying

My guess, if this is true, he becomes a pro scout...Heard rumblings of Martin Lapointe also coming on board to scout for us...Can never have enough scouts, IMO, and last year was the defining year of why..Good job PG..

My guess, if this is true, he becomes a pro scout...Heard rumblings of Martin Lapointe also coming on board to scout for us...Can never have enough scouts, IMO, and last year was the defining year of why..Good job PG..

As a former assistant coach, I could see him being involved in player development.

Interesting - I thought Director of Player Development was going to be his title.

I guess that means he wont be limited to scouting prospects and will also be working with pro scouting.

I guess that means he wont be limited to scouting prospects and will also be working with pro scouting.

Usually the Director of Player Personnel is the guy players go to if they need anything straightened out. Some assume it's an adult babysitter and sometimes it is (Hal Gill was basically our on ice director of player personnel) but Mellanby could be quite valuable in player interviews in figuring out which prospects have the right attitude to eventually be accepted in the locker room.

Chris Nilan liked the choice.

Director of Player Personnel does neither.

He'll be in Montreal working with the players on the team.

A definition of what a Director of Player Personnel normally does

"As a Director of Player Personnel, much of the work involves direct contact with the team's players. On a daily basis, the director may help coordinate team travel, player appearances off the field, train and support players in handling media coverage, assistant with personal matters that effect the team and manage new player orientation programs and initiatives. The director also works with team office management and the coaches to ensure players are being supported to perform at their best athletic level. He is also responsible for being keenly aware of player contracts and agreements with his team and others. Although those working in this position can be found at a desk, many times the work can be outside the office traveling with the team."

It appears that he will be assuming the duties of Dir. of Player Development from Timmins even though that isn't his formal title. Works for me.

sorry I was wrong before and editted, looks like he'll be working in Montreal, and maybe some in Hamilton, but he's not in development.

I'm not 100% sure, but it sure looks as if this move FINALLY addresses the insane-in-the-membrane gap in the organizational structure whereby we have nobody charged full-time with player development. I've long thought it absurd that teams like Nashville have someone whose job it is to mentor developing players and help them mature into responsible pros, but the Habs - in the craziest and most temptation-filled market in the entire league - did not. I'll bet you that if Gainey had put someone in this role way back when we would not have had nearly the same number of 'problem children' coming up through the ranks. You only have to read Gill's discussion of Carey Price in the other thread to realize how surreal starting your career in Montreal can be.

:thumbs_up: Good move, then. Bigger, potentially, than it appears, in terms of its possible impact on our future ability to get the most out of our prospects.

On another note, has anyone else noticed that rumours appear to come to fruition much more efficiently and accurately under Bergevin than under Gainey/Gauthier? We heard about Dudley and Mellanby long before they happened. It appears that MB is not particularly preoccupied with the integrity of the Cone of Silence. If current trends continue, then, we can expect Hartley to be the new coach...

sorry I was wrong before and editted, looks like he'll be working in Montreal, and maybe some in Hamilton, but he's not in development.

There are some early indications that he will indeed be in development while also working on the personnel side.

Mallanby remplace donc Trevor Timmins qui avait la double fonction de responsable du recrutement et du développement

https://twitter.com/#!/GagnonFrancois/status/207162412225404928

Trevor Timmins repêchera donc les joueurs, Mellanby verra à leur développement. Il les suivra chez les juniors et à Hamilton

https://twitter.com/#!/GagnonFrancois/status/207162869668786176

Gagnon could be wrong of course but his notes are the only somewhat definitive answer I can find as to whether he'll have a hand in development or not.

There are some early indications that he will indeed be in development while also working on the personnel side.

https://twitter.com/...162412225404928

https://twitter.com/...162869668786176

Gagnon could be wrong of course but his notes are the only somewhat definitive answer I can find as to whether he'll have a hand in development or not.

I'm just going off what the job title typically means for most organizations.

Most organizations... Player Personnel means the pro guys. Player Development means the prospects. But yeah we don't really know at this point.

I'm just going off what the job title typically means for most organizations.

Most organizations... Player Personnel means the pro guys. Player Development means the prospects. But yeah we don't really know at this point.

With the team having a couple of assistant GM's now, I imagine the job roles are a bit of a hybrid relative to their typical descriptions.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what sort of money the front office staff make? I imagine it would vary from team to team, but as an example what sort of dollars does a GM, an Assistant GM, a director of Player Development and a Coach make. Doesn't have to be exact, but just curious if its in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, or the millions of dollars range.

Thanks in advance.

Whenever a move like this is announced my mind immediately turns to, as a result of this move what player(s) will come to Montreal.

I have a feeling the team is going to be quite active in removing some of the softer players and replacing them perhaps with some bigger bodies, specifically guys from the West.

I would not be surprised to see Mellanby get involved in luring a guy like Barrett Jackman and possibly Scott Nichol to the team.