Canadiens announce player development Camp

According to Marc Antoine Godin, Steve Quailer dominated the fitness tests. There is a decent report by Dan Kramer of AllHabs on the development camp. He liked Aaron Dell a lot for goal, Avtsin is still an "impressive when it's not a game" and Pribyl looked very promising.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. I was talking to a family member of Morgan Ellis last night. One of the few things I remember because I was still sober. She said he was really happy to hear about Gallant becoming an assistant head coach and is gunning to either make it on Montreal or play for Hamilton. Guess he is happy to be a Hab.

Edited by Machine of Loving Grace

Exactly.

plus you don't bring up two rookies and play them together in the NHL.

Eventual

Tinordi - Subban

Beaulieu - Gorges

Pairings work much better.

Tinordi would be awesome with Subban, I get chills just thinking about it. In 2 years, those matchups could be a reality, along with Emelin-Markov.

Don't forget Ellis he'll be an NHLer as well. Would also like to see a guy like Dietz as well.

If I am MB I would actually be looking to part with Markov. Wings have a big void on the PP with the loss of Lidstrom and Stuart. You know they are going to make a pitch for Suter and possibly Jbo but it would be interesting to see Markov's value via trade.

Tinordi would be awesome with Subban, I get chills just thinking about it. In 2 years, those matchups could be a reality, along with Emelin-Markov.

How good is Markov gonna be in 2-3 years? I'm not saying he'll stink, but that Emelin-Markov hypothetical pairing could prove a lot less impressive in practice than it does in theory by then. Just a cautionary note.

Don't forget Ellis he'll be an NHLer as well. Would also like to see a guy like Dietz as well.

If I am MB I would actually be looking to part with Markov. Wings have a big void on the PP with the loss of Lidstrom and Stuart. You know they are going to make a pitch for Suter and possibly Jbo but it would be interesting to see Markov's value via trade.

I like your thinking.

But I believe dealing Markov would be a strange play for a new GM. Afterall when helthy he is thier best player.

I like your thinking.

But I believe dealing Markov would be a strange play for a new GM. Afterall when helthy he is thier best player.

If you (by some miracle) sign Suter or acquire another stud blueliner, then you trade Markov.

But without having anyone to replace Markov on the blueline, dealing him almost guarantees extended mediocrity for les canadiens regardless of who you get back. His absence - along with general weakness on the back end - was our single biggest problem last season, so I don't see why you'd move him unless you plan an extended rebuild.

Great for All-Habs to follow and rport on development camp.

Nice to hear Quailer looked good and another big winger would be sweet.

As expected, Beaulieu seems to have a ways to go before matures and is NHL ready; but his poor backward skating is something that is easily fixable with some hard work. As Louis Leblanc is doing right now to improve his skating.

Will RFA d-men; Nash, St Denis, Diaz get resigned? Most likely these 3 will eh? And Weber will be gone within 2 weeks, or destined for 7th d-man status again?

I wasn't at camp, so I can't comment about what was seen there.

But I have never seen poor backwards skating out of Beaulieu in game situations. It seems a strength to me.

You never noticed he seemed to prefer to defend forwards, or seemed to avoid switching up? Maybe the assessment biased me and am mis-remembering but rings true, we will see in the fall and any skating lacking like that is easily fixable, as Louis is trying to do with his skating (they said he has been at Brossard a lot with skating coach, hope he can add 5-10lbs this summer also)

But i see it as another item, Beaulieu could easily get away with on a stacked junior team combined with his natural quickness vs teenagers, but will not work well vs Pros.

If you (by some miracle) sign Suter or acquire another stud blueliner, then you trade Markov.

But without having anyone to replace Markov on the blueline, dealing him almost guarantees extended mediocrity for les canadiens regardless of who you get back. His absence - along with general weakness on the back end - was our single biggest problem last season, so I don't see why you'd move him unless you plan an extended rebuild.

Depends what is out there. What is Markov's value via trade? Are we talking a young prospect? A roster player? A high pick? What if in a hypothetical we can deal Markov and then replace him via trade with (insert name here). I don't want to see any rock unturned. Weigh all possibilities.

You never noticed he seemed to prefer to defend forwards, or seemed to avoid switching up? Maybe the assessment biased me and am mis-remembering but rings true, we will see in the fall and any skating lacking like that is easily fixable, as Louis is trying to do with his skating (they said he has been at Brossard a lot with skating coach, hope he can add 5-10lbs this summer also)

But i see it as another item, Beaulieu could easily get away with on a stacked junior team combined with his natural quickness vs teenagers, but will not work well vs Pros.

The big issue i see with his defensive game is the giveaways. I never saw him have too many issues defending the rush

How good is Markov gonna be in 2-3 years? I'm not saying he'll stink, but that Emelin-Markov hypothetical pairing could prove a lot less impressive in practice than it does in theory by then. Just a cautionary note.

It all depends on those knees. Markov has the smarts to play till he's 40 ish, no problem, his game is mostly in his head, so I think he'll be with us another 4 to 5 years, if, and I know its a big if, his injuries are behind him. Its something the new staff will be looking carefully at, I'm sure.

The big issue i see with his defensive game is the giveaways. I never saw him have too many issues defending the rush

I've watched him play a few times, and to me it seems like he tries to do a little too much, he'll have to tone it down and play a simple game for a bit while he adjusts to the pro game, for sure. Its a little like PK was playing at the start of last year (although PK can absolutely fly skating backwards), and a good coaching staff will identify that right away, and hopefully get it fixed this year in the AHL. Other than that, the guy is a beautiful skater (with the puck), very smooth and fast, and he has great size. I've said it before, but to me, he projects as an Eric Desjardins type. I'm very excited about the future of our blueline.
  • Upvote 1

The second camp, to be held in July, will have the draftees from this weekend, I suspect most of the non-NCAA prospects, plus some undrafted tryouts. Montreal has already invited goalie Maxime Lagace and centre Felix Girard to this camp.

I noticed the big 6'5" czech(?) centre from PEI team, Metej Beran, went undrafted and was ranked only 2 spots behind Hudon?

On paper seems like he might be an interesting try-out (but i am sure went undrafted for a good reason)?

The second camp, to be held in July, will have the draftees from this weekend, I suspect most of the non-NCAA prospects, plus some undrafted tryouts. Montreal has already invited goalie Maxime Lagace and centre Felix Girard to this camp.

Doesn't the second camp begin this Thursday?

I noticed the big 6'5" czech(?) centre from PEI team, Metej Beran, went undrafted and was ranked only 2 spots behind Hudon?

On paper seems like he might be an interesting try-out (but i am sure went undrafted for a good reason)?

I think it was a tall order to draft him?

I guess he did not measure up against the other centers?

• Upvote 1

A lot smaller of a roster this time around, 14 players in total.

F - Bozon, Collberg, Galchenyuk, Girard*, Hudon, Lane*, Nystrom, Pribyl, Vail

D - Bennett, Oligny*, Thrower

G - Lagace, Marcoux

Invites are C Felix Girard, C Matt Lane, D Jimmy Oligny, G Jacob Lagace, and G Etienne Marcoux. Aside from Lane who was with the US NTDP, the other tryouts are all from the QMJHL.

I think it was a tall order to draft him?

I guess he did not measure up against the other centers?

Witty!

I would think Gallant might have some good insight on the Q players.