Canadiens announce player development Camp

1st Part Roster: http://canadiens.nhl.com/fr/v2/ext/Autre/Dev_camp_roster.pdf

MONTREAL (June 11, 2012) – The Montreal Canadiens announced today that 32 players will participate in the first of two development camp sessions, set to take place from June 13-16, at the Bell Sports Complex, in Brossard. All on-ice sessions are open to the public.

The list of participating prospects includes several players drafted by the organization, players from the Hamilton Bulldogs as well as players invited as try-outs.

The second part of the development camp, to include players to be selected at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft scheduled for June 22-23 in Pittsburgh, will take place from June 28-30, also at the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard. The first edition of the Canadiens development camp was held in 2001.

The Canadiens prospects will first take to the ice for technical drills on Wednesday, June 13, from 3:30 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. The development camp session consists of two on-ice sessions and evaluations daily on both ice surfaces at the Bell Sports Complex (8 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. and 3 p.m. to 5:45 p.m.). Off-ice conditioning sessions and seminars are also scheduled each day.

Nineteen of the 32 players at camp are Canadiens draft selections, including the club’s first selections from the past four NHL Entry Drafts: Nathan Beaulieu (2011), Jarred Tinordi (2010), Louis Leblanc (2009) and Danny Kristo (2008).

Players participating in the first session of the development camp will be available daily to the media following the on-ice sessions, in the Canadiens main dressing room at the Bell Sports Complex.

Here is the media opportunity schedule for the first three days of camp.

- Wednesday, June 13: 5:45 p.m.

- Thursday, June 14: 12:30 p.m.

- Friday, June 15: 12:30 p.m.

Evidently the person who did the chart doesn't know that Peter Delmas actually is a Hab prospect, not just a minor league contract guy. Not many invitees to speak of, the only 2 interesting ones are Aaron Dell and Cody Reichard (both goalies). Some might recognize Maxwell as well, he suited up for Hamilton late in the year but didn't play.

Hopefully Bennett has been chosen to attend the 2nd camp? Only have 8 d attending this camp, seems low?

Dell was offered contract last year wasnt he? and turned it down to play 1 more year in NCAA

He will also attend other NHL camps before deciding where to sign, and i would think Price may be a big factor (obstacle) in getting him signed?

But would be sweet if he would sign and save a draft pick likely?

I wonder how Nattinen will do, now with 1 pro year under his belt? Maybe he will be that defensive centreman the Habs cant seem to find or develop.

Avtsin, Lefebvre, Cichy and Berger will likley never make the grade.

Hopefully Bennett has been chosen to attend the 2nd camp? Only have 8 d attending this camp, seems low?

I don't think NCAA players can attend camps unless they pay their own way...

Or is that just for the preseason camp?

Dell was offered contract last year wasnt he? and turned it down to play 1 more year in NCAA

He will also attend other NHL camps before deciding where to sign, and i would think Price may be a big factor (obstacle) in getting him signed?

But would be sweet if he would sign and save a draft pick likely?

I wonder how Nattinen will do, now with 1 pro year under his belt? Maybe he will be that defensive centreman the Habs cant seem to find or develop.

Avtsin, Lefebvre, Cichy and Berger will likley never make the grade.

You're correct on Dell, he did turn down an offer. The fact he is coming to this camp suggests he still has some interest in Montreal which is nice. Even if he were to sign, the Habs would still be wise to look at a goalie, their paths wouldn't overlap for at least 2 full years (and I'm pretty sure Dell's ELC would be for 2 years).

As for Nattinen, and I'm giving away part of my thoughts for the next part of my depth series on the main site, I'd suggest there's a good chance he's on the left wing again next year.

I don't think NCAA players can attend camps unless they pay their own way...

Or is that just for the preseason camp?

I think prospect camps are okay as long as they don't accept any freebies. Here's some general info about what NCAA players can and can't do (although it's earmarked primarily towards NCAA/CHL players, I think it still applies as Canadian junior leagues are treated as pro leagues by NCAA rules): http://www.thehockey...om/?page_id=465

What's up with Joey Quatrocchi? I think this is his third year at this camp. He player for the fort mcmurray oil barons and was on there, but honestly...

He's a friend/relative of one of the staff members. He's been at every camp for at least that many years now. He's not really a prospect of any sort.

Bennett will be attending the second camp, he tweeted that.

The rules on NCAA guys are pretty simple

- 1 summer camp only... can't do both

- Must not miss classes to attend (some of the hockey players take extra classes in a May - June semester to make up for taking less class during hockey season).

- Must pay their own way. Can not accept anything from the team (flight, hotel, etc...)

Commandant: Maybe you could explain the difference for our viewers, the difference between the combine, the two developmental camps and the rookie camp. I see alot of confusion on the other boards. That may be helpful for some.

Commandant: Maybe you could explain the difference for our viewers, the difference between the combine, the two developmental camps and the rookie camp. I see alot of confusion on the other boards. That may be helpful for some.

Combine: A pre-draft exhibition held by the Habs... top prospects are put invited and put through off ice workouts, on ice workouts, and interviews. An evaluation of players prior to the NHL draft.

Developmental Camp One: Habs prospects from young bulldogs and habs (Louis Leblanc) to NCAA guys (Danny Kristo) to guys finishing the CHL (Tinordi, Beaulieu) are put through off ice workouts, on ice practices and possibly scrimmages, and some meetings with team brass on what they need to learn, how to conduct themselves as professionals etc... going forward. There are also a couple of goalies trying out, looking for contracts, or to be invited to the Rookie Camp. For most guys, with a few exceptions, this is a players 2nd or 3rd developmental camp with the Habs, so its about continuing progress, and catching up on how they did this season and looking to the future.

Developmental Camp Two: Prospects who didn't attend camp one. This will be filled with our newest draft picks, some guys like Mac Bennett who couldn't attend camp one, and probably a bunch of undrafted tryouts. This is much the same as Camp one but with a new set of players. In addition this is a first camp as a Hab for many of the guys, so things like learning to be a pro, and how to conduct yourself are different and arguably more important. There will also be meetings with coaches and staff about what they want guys to work on this year and what will help them become pros.

Rookie Camp: Happens late august/early september right before Regular Training Camp. Rookies and prospects are brought in. Attempt to make the cut to get to the next stage which is full training camp with the big club. Tryouts who impressed in the D-Camps will be invited.

• Upvote 1

Perfect, nice job. The only thing I can add, is the advantage of having most of the prospects assessed and the ones for the most part who may have a chance at sticking with the big club have a whole extra month to hone their skills.

I see some super prospects are in Montreal today for Combine.

Great to see Lukas Sutter, Stepan Matteau, Dumba , Slater KoekKoek are all at combine.

Was either Tim Bozon or Henrik Samuelsson invited i wonder?

Will the full list of 40 invitees be released?

Are the real player sizes measured at NHL combine ever released?

Forsberg is not there because most of the European prospects couldn't make the trip.

Murray did not go for some reason but the Canadiens already had a look at him last week.

That said, there is a lot of prospects there, some in interesting spots. Slater Koekkoek is really not in a position for us to draft him and I don't see the team inviting him for the goal of him dropping. Makes you wonder.

Forsberg is not there because most of the European prospects couldn't make the trip.

Murray did not go for some reason but the Canadiens already had a look at him last week.

That said, there is a lot of prospects there, some in interesting spots. Slater Koekkoek is really not in a position for us to draft him and I don't see the team inviting him for the goal of him dropping. Makes you wonder.

I think any prospect is in Hab range, except Yakupov or 2nd pick. Several teams have 2 first round picks and Habs could likely squeeze one from Yzerman or Caps given the right package (2013 1st round and 2012 2nd round picks) and a Timmins favorite looking to fall into their slot?

BUt more than likely trying to keep all options open?

I think any prospect is in Hab range, except Yakupov or 2nd pick. Several teams have 2 first round picks and Habs could likely squeeze one from Yzerman or Caps given the right package (2013 1st round and 2012 2nd round picks) and a Timmins favorite looking to fall into their slot?

BUt more than likely trying to keep all options open?

Buffalo won't move their picks. Tampa might. Washington might as well.

Oh well. This will be an exciting draft for us. I don't see how we could lose on the third overall and 33rd/32nd overall picks.

Buffalo won't move their picks. Tampa might. Washington might as well.

Oh well. This will be an exciting draft for us. I don't see how we could lose on the third overall and 33rd/32nd overall picks.

Ya, why i didnt mention Sabres helping out Habs, like u say unlikely for them to offer up a nice pick and help out Habs

Even one of us couldnt screw up too badly this year with 4 picks in top 63.

A couple guys I am keeping an eye on, and I am going to call them later tweeners because they may not fall anywhere around our picks are Prokhorkin and Lindell.

they are listed as 9th and 12th rated Euro skaters, but i wouldnt waste a pick on a Russian playing in Russia and Lindell is a d-man, who may go in 2nd/3rd round, but i would prefer to see Timmins restock forward group, not that he would pass up Lindell if he was a clear BPA on his list.

Simply could use more skilled and gritty forwards and already have a bit of logjam on d (not that would be same roster situation at all in 3 years when Lindell is NHL ready but...)

John Lu of TSN just did a video about how the Canadiens have put Tinordi and Beaulieu together as roommates for a second year in a row. Looks like they are preparing for those two to be linemates for a long time ;)

Who will be playing the right side?