2012 Bulldogs Offseason Tracker

dlbalr

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Team White gets the win. Goals were scored by Quailer, Blunden, and Nattinen (with 3 seconds left in regulation) for White, Fortier and Geoffrion (SH) for Red. Hagel and Schultz fought, give Hagel the win according to some on Twitter.

There were a few interesting cuts from camp today. Chaput, Fortier, and Schultz are among those off to the ECHL while Michel Ouellet was released outright. I'm going to put together something on the site shortly about the full cut down.

I've updated the mock lines in the first post to reflect the cuts (note that I haven't put any of the tryouts in although I anticipate one of the d-men will be signed).

Also, mark your calendars as October 20th, the Hamilton-Toronto game will be shown on Sportsnet One. Joe Bowen and Greg Millen will have the call.

Also on TV, TVA Sports will be showing games. The deal isn't done yet but reports are that they could be showing 40 games.

I've updated the mock lines in the first post to reflect the cuts (note that I haven't put any of the tryouts in although I anticipate one of the d-men will be signed).

Also, mark your calendars as October 20th, the Hamilton-Toronto game will be shown on Sportsnet One. Joe Bowen and Greg Millen will have the call.

Also on TV, TVA Sports will be showing games. The deal isn't done yet but reports are that they could be showing 40 games.

This is huge I wish I could get that channel in Kingston, but i'm sure someone will stream.

Anyone going to the game in Cobourg tomorrow?

I have been wondering all along with the GLUT of players out there why we haven't signed higher end guys?

just an idea because i have no idea... but a lot of those higher end ahl'ers go overseas and AHL teams don't have the same amount of money say... the habs do to spend on roster players I wouldn't think.

I have been wondering all along with the GLUT of players out there why we haven't signed higher end guys?

From what they've done, I'm guessing they want the youngsters to try to carry the load. I don't agree with it, but I'm sure there's a valid reason. Instead of last year where the depth was basically who was on the roster at the time regardless of position, Bergevin wants to supplement those players with quality role players who, in a pinch, can also move up the depth chart a bit.

From what they've done, I'm guessing they want the youngsters to try to carry the load. I don't agree with it, but I'm sure there's a valid reason. Instead of last year where the depth was basically who was on the roster at the time regardless of position, Bergevin wants to supplement those players with quality role players who, in a pinch, can also move up the depth chart a bit.

Makes sense somewhat but I though winning was also in their make-up.

Makes sense somewhat but I though winning was also in their make-up.

They certainly didn't have a winning attitude for the organization last year. Also, it's not as if they're one or two players away from making a Calder Cup run where it would be justifiable to bring in a high end veteran or two. I still have serious reservations as to whether this is even a playoff team let alone a contender. I don't like that there's a pretty good chance that two, perhaps even three, rookies start out in the top six up front. That rarely works in a normal year, there would be even less of a chance in a season where the talent level in the AHL is better. Long-term, it will benefit their development and it appears that once again that takes priority.

They certainly didn't have a winning attitude for the organization last year. Also, it's not as if they're one or two players away from making a Calder Cup run where it would be justifiable to bring in a high end veteran or two. I still have serious reservations as to whether this is even a playoff team let alone a contender. I don't like that there's a pretty good chance that two, perhaps even three, rookies start out in the top six up front. That rarely works in a normal year, there would be even less of a chance in a season where the talent level in the AHL is better. Long-term, it will benefit their development and it appears that once again that takes priority.

Apparently Dlbair your also good at mind reading, you have captured my thoughts nicely.

I had heard rumblings of this a while ago but couldn't get it confirmed until the other day when it was announced - Dany Masse becomes the second Bulldog from last year to take a sabbatical from hockey and return to school; Masse will be going to McGill University.

Also, Hunter Bishop has signed with South Carolina of the ECHL, nice to see him get a deal after missing all of last year.

Per the official Bulldog site/ Farnham cut / Lefebvre sent to Wheeling. Not sure what is going on here. Are we setting ourselves up for a replacement player scenerio? Still 28 players on roster.

Neither of those cuts come as much of a surprise. Lefebvre stood no chance of making the team while Farnham's absence from the lineup suggested to me that MacAulay had won that battle to be the last tryout up front. More cuts will be coming, they'll just be later in camp. Boutet's strong effort last night likely threw a wrinkle into their plans for the defence, they'll have a couple of practices to evaluate that situation.

One thing that was noted during the broadcast last night, they figure that Hamilton may go into the year with 3 goalies. Something to watch for, perhaps?

One thing that was noted during the broadcast last night, they figure that Hamilton may go into the year with 3 goalies. Something to watch for, perhaps?

Anything that leads to less Mayer

I should also note that there are no roster maximums in the AHL like there is in the NHL. In theory, Hamilton could start the year with this 28-man roster although I think they'd be nuts to do so. 24 or 25 though could be realistic.

I should also note that there are no roster maximums in the AHL like there is in the NHL. In theory, Hamilton could start the year with this 28-man roster although I think they'd be nuts to do so. 24 or 25 though could be realistic.

Having a no limit on the number of AHL contracts kind of defeats the 50 contract clause. I would speculate that maybe they are looking for a home for the extra bodies to play. I would also logically surmise that one would need less extra bodies in a lockout than in a regular year, extra bodies inversely proportional to how long their out.

Having a no limit on the number of AHL contracts kind of defeats the 50 contract clause. I would speculate that maybe they are looking for a home for the extra bodies to play. I would also logically surmise that one would need less extra bodies in a lockout than in a regular year, extra bodies inversely proportional to how long their out.

Wheeling will be where the contracted players will go, I don't think the Penguins are sending too many down this year...and if they are, Wheeling's going to be a top team which would be ideal really.

I agree that there isn't a need for the extra bodies in a year like this but on the flip side, there's little risk in keeping some around. We know guys like Lefebvre have no NHL future, there's no need to keep a spot for him or a player like him, he can go to Wheeling and won't be missed. Give his spot to MacAulay and if he amounts to something, give him his ELC next year. On defence, Stejskal isn't going to be around next year unless he has a huge season, let one of the tryouts start the season and maybe you get lucky. If the tryouts falter, then you've got someone with experience to bring in to replace them.

Speaking of tryouts, although the club hasn't announced it yet, Etienne Boutet has been cut so we're down to 27 in camp.

From the Wheeling site- Pens send seven to Wheeling including goalie Killeen/ I have no idea how many players they will accept/ Maybe this sets us up for consideration of our own franchise next year?

I don't know how the ECHL works but Alaska, Bakersfield and Las Vegas are all currently independent without any team affiliation. There are five teams sharing franchises and that could solve three of them but maybe those teams don't have to take any affiliation for a special reason.

There is no special reason. ECHL teams are independently owned... they can choose to sign affiliation contracts or be independent, its their choice, just like any business.

Of course they need to find some NHL team willing to sign a deal with them as well if they would like to be an affiliate.

Some CHL (central hockey league) are the "AA" affiliates of NHL teams as well.

As for next year. Lets remember, the 50 contract limit and the fact that the Canadiens and Penguins won't be sending as many players to Wheeling if there wasn't a lockout.

Leblanc, Geoffrion, Gallagher, Palushaj - at least 2, possibly 3 of these guys would be in Montreal if the NHL was playing (1 spot for rookies, Bourque's injury, potentially other injuries or a 2nd spot being made)

On Defence, St. Denis might have been in the NHL.

In Pittsburgh you have guys like Despres and others who would be in the NHL plus their own injuries.

With the 50 contract limit we aren't going to see more guys in Wheeling than we see right now, and even then with Pitt sending 7, that is less than 1/2 the team.

St. Denis may miss the boat with lockout, as of the top 4 new Bulldog d-men, i would think Beaulieu or one of others should bypass him in depth chart by mid-end of this season?.

So if Boutet looked fairly good at camp and has just been cut, i can assume Corbin's/Gagne's play has impressed mgmt more and may get the 6th or 7th slot (or can both stay till Ellis is healthy)?

I have been a fan of Pateryn's and havent heard anything on him yet, cept the one comment about reminding one guy of Komisarik, which is likely the defensive-only d-man he should be.

And of the 4 new guys he is likely most ready to play vs men, with his extra couple years and being bigger/stronger, he should only need get used to pro speed and that is what i dont know, if he will have the foot speed to cut it?