2013 NHL Draft

Commandant

I think McKinnon just won a ticket to Colorado. Man he made Jones look bad tonight.

Switch over to the SJ LA game into to hear, "Gomez ahead to ...." Kick in the teeth.

It's hard to say, because players always fall. I had both Bealieu and Collberg rated as 9th in their draft years and they fell into our laps. But if you asked me a month before the draft I'd never think we'd get them. But 5 minutes before our picks i was asking for those two. So it changes.

Right now though, realistic options at 25, 34, and 36.

Compher, Morin/Mueller/McCoshen/Santini (ie a dman), and Dickinson

It's hard to say, because players always fall. I had both Bealieu and Collberg rated as 9th in their draft years and they fell into our laps. But if you asked me a month before the draft I'd never think we'd get them. But 5 minutes before our picks i was asking for those two. So it changes.

Klimchuk, Petan and Fasching

Interesting. No goalie.

I'm thinking goalie with the 55 pick, or with Dallas' third rounder.

A Saros, or Martin, or DesRosiers, or Jarry should still be there.

I concur with the range you pick a goalie at, not sure who I like there. From your previous statement Morin intrigues me, but we are in dire straits for forward depth. I would say that if he is your first or second pick I am good with that, otherwise I am looking at all forwards. Also I don't know why there is so much love for Compher.

I concur with the range you pick a goalie at, not sure who I like there. From your previous statement Morin intrigues me, but we are in dire straits for forward depth. I would say that if he is your first or second pick I am good with that, otherwise I am looking at all forwards. Also I don't know why there is so much love for Compher.

I like Compher because

1) Gritty and Physical.... goes to the net and makes a pest of himself while there.

2) Skilled... you don't lead the US NTDP in scoring two years in a row without skill, they are cranking out a ton of good prospects.

3) Elevates in big games. He's at his best in the biggest games that team has played.

Put those three together, and I am a big fan of his. He can play C/LW which is what we need in the system too.

I like Compher because

1) Gritty and Physical.... goes to the net and makes a pest of himself while there.

2) Skilled... you don't lead the US NTDP in scoring two years in a row without skill, they are cranking out a ton of good prospects.

3) Elevates in big games. He's at his best in the biggest games that team has played.

Put those three together, and I am a big fan of his. He can play C/LW which is what we need in the system too.

That's fair. Maybe its just me, I mistrust some of the numbers over there.

Great insight into the new crop for this year Commandant!

Where do you see Anthony Mantha getting selected? His stock continues to rise.

I think he would be a perfect fit for us, do you?

I hope Mantha falls to us, but I think he'll be gone in the late teens.

He's got size, skating, and a great shot... but his intensity and consistency is questionned by some.

---------------------

Linus Arnesson, a defensive D out of Sweden.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/05/25/linus-arnesson-2013-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-44/

Anton Slepyshev, big Russian forward, very skilled, KHL Factor alarm bells.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/05/28/anton-slepyshev-2013-nhl-draft-player-profile-47/

He was the one that passed through the draft unpicked last year, right? In terms of talent he should be up there but I can't see him going in the 2nd round given the alarm bells you noted.

He was the one that passed through the draft unpicked last year, right? In terms of talent he should be up there but I can't see him going in the 2nd round given the alarm bells you noted.

Yeah, in terms of talent I'd have him in the first round.

The difference this year is he and his agent are dropping a lot more hints that he wants to come to North America and that his deal is up at the end of next season.

The big thing thats changed is that he was traded by Metallurg at midseason to Salavat Ufa, and that, along with his still limited ice time in the KHL may be influencing his decision.

The difference this year is he and his agent are dropping a lot more hints that he wants to come to North America and that his deal is up at the end of next season.

The big thing thats changed is that he was traded by Metallurg at midseason to Salavat Ufa, and that, along with his still limited ice time in the KHL may be influencing his decision.

If that is indeed the case, he's worth picking. Where is still my concern - his icetime may be low now but will that go up next year? If so, would he then be more amenable to staying? I don't know if I'd touch him in the 2nd round despite him being at that talent level or better. Once you hit the 3rd, a 'draft and stash' strategy starts to make a bit more sense to me, Slepyshev would be a home run swing for sure. His case was one to follow last year and will be again this season.

If that is indeed the case, he's worth picking. Where is still my concern - his icetime may be low now but will that go up next year? If so, would he then be more amenable to staying? I don't know if I'd touch him in the 2nd round despite him being at that talent level or better. Once you hit the 3rd, a 'draft and stash' strategy starts to make a bit more sense to me, Slepyshev would be a home run swing for sure. His case was one to follow last year and will be again this season.

Having three second round picks and two thirds, I wouldn't be afraid to use pick 55 on him. That said, Montreal has the ability to make one of these swing for the fences picks due to all the extras we have.

Keaton Thompson, heck of a skater, for the USNTDP on their defence.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/05/29/keaton-thompson-2013-nhl-draft-player-profile-48/