2012-13 NHL Regular Season Thread

dlbalr

Well profit on that player for the leafs organization. Trade 2 nobodies to get him and Franson.. then translate him into a virtually free 4th and 3rd.

It's one or the other. A 4th if he walks or a 3rd if he re-signs. It appears the Leafs are covering nearly half of his cap hit as well, $1.5 M/$3.5 M.

If the Habs are going to add someone via the waiver wire before the season starts, it will be from today's group of waived players. Here's the list:

ANA: Corey Elkins ($125 waivers)
BOS: Jamie Tardif
BUF: Adam Pardy, Chris Porter, Nick Tarnasky,
CGY: Leland Irving, Henrik Karlsson, Paul Byron, Brett Carson,
CAR: Tim Wallace
COL: David Van Der Gulik,
CBJ: Nick Holden,
EDM: Dane Byers, Tanner House, Alex Plante,
FLA: Nolan Yonkman, Michael Caruso, James Wright, Mike Santorelli
LA: Andrew Bodnarchuk,
MIN: Nick Palmieri, Jacob Dowell, Stephane Veilleux,
MTL: Frederic St-Denis, Michael Blunden,
NJ: Matt Anderson, Jeff Frazee, Jay Leach, Tim Sestito, Chad Wiseman, Steven Zalewski,
OTT: Pat Cannone
PHX: Chris Conner, Chad Johnson, Nick Johnson, Rob Klinkhammer, Joel Rechlicz,
PIT: Philippe Dupuis, Brian Strait, Trevor Smith, Riley Holzapfel, Warren Peters, Dylan Reese, Alex Grant, Ben Ferriero,
STL: Taylor Chorney
SJ: Matt Pelech, Bracken Kearns, John McCarthy
TB: Mike Angelidis, J.T. Wyman, Kyle Wilson, Matt Taormina
TOR: Tim Connolly (may be unconditional, I'm not sure)
VAN: Derek Joslin, Andrew Gordon

Anyone interest you off this list? Nick Johnson (26 points last year) stands out while Nick Palmieri could be an option as well. Adam Pardy isn't bad but he's pricey. I have to admit, I thought there would be better options available from today's listing.

Nick Palmieri for me too. As well as Brett Carson, Alex Plante, Leland Irving and Taylor Chorney if their skills set match their HWL skills set. hahahahaha

If the Habs are going to add someone via the waiver wire before the season starts, it will be from today's group of waived players. Here's the list:

ANA: Corey Elkins ($125 waivers)

BOS: Jamie Tardif

BUF: Adam Pardy, Chris Porter, Nick Tarnasky,

CGY: Leland Irving, Henrik Karlsson, Paul Byron, Brett Carson,

CAR: Tim Wallace

COL: David Van Der Gulik,

CBJ: Nick Holden,

EDM: Dane Byers, Tanner House, Alex Plante,

FLA: Nolan Yonkman, Michael Caruso, James Wright, Mike Santorelli

LA: Andrew Bodnarchuk,

MIN: Nick Palmieri, Jacob Dowell, Stephane Veilleux,

MTL: Frederic St-Denis, Michael Blunden,

NJ: Matt Anderson, Jeff Frazee, Jay Leach, Tim Sestito, Chad Wiseman, Steven Zalewski,

OTT: Pat Cannone

PHX: Chris Conner, Chad Johnson, Nick Johnson, Rob Klinkhammer, Joel Rechlicz,

PIT: Philippe Dupuis, Brian Strait, Trevor Smith, Riley Holzapfel, Warren Peters, Dylan Reese, Alex Grant, Ben Ferriero,

STL: Taylor Chorney

SJ: Matt Pelech, Bracken Kearns, John McCarthy

TB: Mike Angelidis, J.T. Wyman, Kyle Wilson, Matt Taormina

TOR: Tim Connolly (may be unconditional, I'm not sure)

VAN: Derek Joslin, Andrew Gordon

Anyone interest you off this list? Nick Johnson (26 points last year) stands out while Nick Palmieri could be an option as well. Adam Pardy isn't bad but he's pricey. I have to admit, I thought there would be better options available from today's listing.

you mean for the Bulldogs?

you mean for the Bulldogs?

No, if any of these players get claimed, they have to stay in the NHL (or get waived again to be sent down).

I can see them picking up Philippe Dupuis for the centre depth.

If memory serves me right he is a decent faceoff guy. I could maybe see him being claimed although considering he spent most of last year in the AHL, maybe he's no longer NHL calibre. Of the Pittsburgh guys, Brian Strait would be a nice pickup; I left him off my original list though because he's a d-man and the Habs, barring a trade, don't need any more of those.

He could help but that's an expensive gamble at $4.75 million.

I am trying to think out of the box here. We only have roughly half a season. If we brought him along for the specific purpose of giving us a boost up till the trade deadline. My thinking is that we have a good shot at making the playoffs. At the deadline we can decide whether to move him or not. His contract runs out at end of year. You might get a pretty nice draft pick for virtually picking him up for free and using his services to get into playoffs as opposed to in the playoffs. 2.35 M might be pretty cheap!

I am trying to think out of the box here. We only have roughly half a season. If we brought him along for the specific purpose of giving us a boost up till the trade deadline. My thinking is that we have a good shot at making the playoffs. At the deadline we can decide whether to move him or not. His contract runs out at end of year. You might get a pretty nice draft pick for virtually picking him up for free and using his services to get into playoffs as opposed to in the playoffs. 2.35 M might be pretty cheap!

If you pick him up though, Galchenyuk is likely going back to junior as the team can't absorb Connolly, Galchenyuk, and Subban (whatever his new deal is) while staying under the cap this season. If you're of the belief that Galchenyuk is ready, who would help the team more, him or Connolly? If you think Connolly, then maybe you pick him up.

The Internet is rusty.

NHL.com scores section has none of the games alreday started.

Yahoo sports have all the goals scored so far (9 of them) as unassisted.

According to Katie Strang (usually reliable), Nino Niederreiter is asking to be traded from the New York Islanders.

For those who don't know, Nino, a 5th Overall pick in 2010, wasn't really ready for the NHL last season but the Islanders kept him up and played him limited minutes on the fourth line just to meet the cap floor from his cap hit.

Gillis is saying that there is a deal on the table for Luongo. That statement would lead me to believe that someone in the deal isn't available yet. That might bring us back to Toronto and Gardiner

I'm still not convinced he's trading him to Toronto. It feels like a media narrative. Florida seems like the perfect location to me since Theodore can back up Schneider and further turn the Canucks into a former Habs dumping ground.