Top 5 Modern Day Rivals

xXx..CK..xXx

I was just browsing the Anti-Maple Leafs thread and needless to say it's clear that people on here are are happy they are out. In recent months, I've seen the debate on here that while a team like the Bruins are a actually our rivals, a team like the Maple Leafs are more of a "mythical" rivalry or a one sided one. Personally, matches against both the Bruins and Leafs create unique emotions that I don't get versus other teams, so I'm not part of that belief.

With that being said, I'm interested to know what 5 teams elicit these negative emotions out of you the most? In the past, I think there's been talk about this on here but teams like Carolina were brought up, who I don't think many of us have felt threatened by in the recent past. Whether it be our top 5 actual rivals or the top 5 teams that you hate facing the most, spell it out here. For the simplicity of my post, I'm just going to make one list but if you feel these are different things then feel free to create two separate lists.

1) Boston Bruins

2) Toronto Maple Leafs

3) Philadelphia Flyers

4) Pittsburgh Penguins

5) Buffalo, Ottawa and NYR

I also hate losing to all Canadian teams, especially when we're on the road out west.

I know I cheated for my 5th pick, but all of those teams interchange. I used to hate playing Buffalo a lot more when they had Roy, Pomminville, Vanek and Miller... but they're in our division and still will be next season.

Hopefully you guys can be more concise!

Same exact listing for my top 3.

I don't care that much about #4-#5 though. Pittsburgh... nah... I'd put Carolina Hurricanes before them. Ottawa as well.

Boston, Toronto, Calgary, Philly and any team managed by Brian Burke.

It's not like my youth, when every team in the Adams Division hated our guts: Boston, Quebec, Buffalo, Hartford were all mortal rivalries, plus we had Calgary out west. Nowadays our only authentic blood-feud is with Boston. I concede that TO is a factor but as I've argued before, that is a somewhat artificial, media-sustained rivalry and one that - frankly - I think a lot of Habs players deep down don't really give a rip about.

Ottawa is new. I think we just witnessed the birth of a rivalry this spring, but I'd suggest waiting a bit to see whether that really takes flight in future seasons.

I'm surprised Carolina isn't more of these lists, though. I hated those teams back when they were gouging out Koivu's eyeballs.

I also hate losing to Tampa Bay, because all the French stars on Tampa invariably lead to them being a lot of Quebecers' 'second favourite' team and lots of fawning coverage by the RDS people. But I wouldn't call that a 'rivalry.'

So it's Boston with a bullet. Ottawa may or may not solidify as a defining rivalry of the next few years. TO is mostly artificial, BUT I do see both the Habs and Leafs as rising young teams, so the possibility exists for repeated playoff meetings and the transformation of the fake rivalry into something genuinely explosive. We'll see.

For me it has to be

1) Toronto - The Leafs are on top of my list, mainly because of Toronto fans...Usually if they lose a few in a row they'll blame the refs or injuries or anything else they can put the blame on, or if they actually win a few games they figure they are unbeatable and all of a sudden Stanley Cup Contenders...Also ever since Brian Burke had become GM a big part of their team is made up of goons

2) Boston - the Bruins would be alright but I can't stand players like Milan Lucic, and Brad Marchand who don't get me wrong are both very good hockey players but they are both known to be very dirty as well....I've also lost alot of respect for Zdeno Chara mainly for what he did to Pacioretty a couple of seasons back....also I can't stand Bruin fans either, especially after that game where we lost Alexei Emelin thanks to Lucic.....Bruin fans seemed to be pretty proud that Emelin got hurt even though they still ended up losing...and win or lose Bruin fans just love to see Boston win the physical battles

3) Ottawa - I think the rivalry has always been there between the Sens and Habs but I think after the playoff match up they just had against each other in the 1st round, that rivalry is going to intensify heading into next season

4) Pittsburgh - As good of a player as Crosby is, I just hate seeing him get the better of us in the regular season or playoffs

5) Toss up between New Jersey and Philadelphia....the Flyers because like the Leafs and Bruins the Flyers are bigger and have a tendency to play dirty....also the Devils because I hate seeing Brodeur getting the better of us plus my sister is a Devils fan

In Ontario,everything(media) predominantly comes out of Toronto so Toronto is the biggest rival. Boston is second because we played them so much. Third for me is personnel and is Philly because all of the bad trades they were the benefactors of. After that Ottawa and Pittsburg. Somebody has brought up the benefit of having Detroit in the new mix. I would point out that the idea of traditional rivalaries was the impetus behind the new alignment. What was missed I think is the number of teams in each (division) eight in our case, may dilute the chances of rivalaries to develop.

1A)Boston - Almost every playoffs in memory has been against them.. None of our other rivalries come close.

1B) More Boston

1C) Again Boston

2)Toronto - Classic (More of a rivalry between fans then on the ice)

3)Ottawa - Division rival + intense first round series this year.

---------------------------

IMO no other team really is a true rivalry.

Pittsburgh we beat once in the playoffs and Crosby does well against us but no hate.

Carolina lots of hate around the Koivu injury time... died off.

Philly classic rivalry of styles but lacking the strong playoff series (The conference final wasn't too intense, we just were tired and lost)

NYR original six but no recent playoff history.

Buffalo... There is a rivalry here? No playoffs, No history, They have sucked lately.

1 - Boston - for obvious reasons

2 - Toronto - because Leafs fans are the worst

3 - Ottawa - because most Sens fans strive to be as annoying as Toronto fans

4 - Philly - Recent games and series have been intense. Their fans are pretty rude too.

5 - NJ - only because Brodeur had owned us for so long.

1 The leafs, I am old...

2 Boston

3 Philly

4 Detroit (again age. Hate them coming east)

5 Avs/Nodicks and if they ever put a franchise back in Quebec that team is in this slot

For me it will be strange to Hate the Wings.

Im 27 so for most of my life they have been a great team and they have had little impact on the Habs

besides making Roy demand a trade.

UHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I HATE THE WINGS!!!

1. trawna cause they are a bunch of whining wanta be's who beat us in 67 to win the cup

2.broons cause they are a classless organization. And gave Donald S Cherry his start

3. nordickless It was fun to hate them.

4.colorado they took patrick from us and they won the cup with him.

5.Calgary cause they won the cup in montreal while I lived in Calgary and had to put up with flagwaving and bs from flames fans

In short I hate all teams that have ever beat the habs.

1. trawna cause they are a bunch of whining wanta be's who beat us in 67 to win the cup

2.broons cause they are a classless organization. And gave Donald S Cherry his start

3. nordickless It was fun to hate them.

4.colorado they took patrick from us and they won the cup with him.

5.Calgary cause they won the cup in montreal while I lived in Calgary and had to put up with flagwaving and bs from flames fans

In short I hate all teams that have ever beat the habs.

Totally agree. I hate the flames and even hated them more then the Bruins, but after the Zednik and MaxPac incidents, the Bruins are clear cut #1 on my hate list. With the Flames sucking so bad and becoming basically irrelevant, Toronto has moved up to #2 on the hate list, since despite being losers the Canadian media revolves around the Lafs.

I also hate the Flames because of the homer, Peter Maher and his regular shots at the habs. He regularly brings up how the Montreal writers sabotaged Iginla's chance at a Hart, by abstaining or not voting for him as one of the finalists to give Theodore an advantage. IMO, unless a player puts up 90 goals, 200 points like Gretzky did, there is no way you can even consider a non-playoff team player to be a Hart candidate.

Maher also takes regular shots at Roy on how he was gun shy of MacInnis and even took a few shots at him when both were inducted to the hall of fame the same year - which IMO was totally classless.