Habs and the 2013 NHL awards

dlbalr

Rather than me bumping various threads with voting results, how about a thread to discuss the awards and where the Habs finished in the voting? Of the awards announced today, the Habs had someone receive a vote in a few of them.

Marc Bergevin - 3rd in GM of the Year

Michel Therrien - 4th in Jack Adams

Brandon Prust - tied for 33rd in Selke

Brian Gionta - 41st in Lady Byng (he got a 1st place vote)

Andrei Markov - 44th in Lady Byng

I'm shocked that Plekanec didn't get a vote of any sort for the Selke. Nazem Kadri gets a vote and he doesn't? That's terrible.

The Selke trophy should probably be scrapped based on the sole fact that nobody votes for it properly because nobody seems to understand what it's about. It used to be properly voted for and then in the 90s came the offensive powerhouse who could also play elite defence like Doug Gilmour and Sergei Fedorov. Even then you still had the right guys winning for the most part but a lot more stars were creeping up in the voting. Finally came the post-lockout where Brind'Amour, Datsyuk, Kesler, Bergeron and Toews have now won it. Maybe one or two of those players have an argument. Otherwise a lot of players have been snubbed because they don't have high profile enough of names.

• Upvote 1

Looks like Gallagher lost out to Huberdeau for the Calder.

I think that is a crock given 3 less minutes per game and significantly less PP and top line time for Gally. On top of that, Gally was plus ten, versus minus 15.

I suspect that once people decided on Subban for the Norris, they didnt want to give the Calder to Montreal too. On top of that, too many voters don't do much more then pick the guy with the most points. I also heard so e reporters suggest that because Gally wasn't on the top line, it was a knock against him because his coach didnt trust him with big minutes. We all know that wasnt true and it has more to do with running four lines and existing vet lines. Ah well, expecting nuanced thinking from sports reporters is probably too much to ask.

There was no team bias. The problem is in the perception of the players. Huberdeau was considered to be a top line player in his first year in the league. Gallagher was looked upon as a third line winger for most of the season before being moved to the Pacioretty/Desharnais line. Gallagher also cooled off around the end of the season while Huberdeau stayed a bit more consistent (even though consistent still had slow periods). Gallagher could have definitely won it but some blame should goto Therrien for never punishing the Desharnais line by cutting their minutes and allowing Galchenyuk/Eller/Gallagher more minutes. It hurt their perception around the league. It hurt Subban to have weaker minutes at the start of the season but it looks like that didn't stop him from still winning the Norris. His year was that good (though if Suter won I'd say he deserved it too).

There was no team bias. The problem is in the perception of the players. Huberdeau was considered to be a top line player in his first year in the league. Gallagher was looked upon as a third line winger for most of the season before being moved to the Pacioretty/Desharnais line. Gallagher also cooled off around the end of the season while Huberdeau stayed a bit more consistent (even though consistent still had slow periods). Gallagher could have definitely won it but some blame should goto Therrien for never punishing the Desharnais line by cutting their minutes and allowing Galchenyuk/Eller/Gallagher more minutes. It hurt their perception around the league. It hurt Subban to have weaker minutes at the start of the season but it looks like that didn't stop him from still winning the Norris. His year was that good (though if Suter won I'd say he deserved it too).

There was team bias, I even heard a voting member state that he liked to spread the wealth, so to speak. I don't mean it was Anti habs.

Huberdeau being on their top line says more about Florida then Huberdeau. Frankly, a rookie getting third line minutes while playing great defensively and getting almost identical PPG should be more important then being on an offense only loser team with no decent first line veteran.

Gally even had more PP goals, despite significantly less time on the PP.

A 25 point plus minus difference is no statistical fluke. He even spent most of the season with a rookie center and they clearly focused on solid defensive play. Hey, he could have had 15 more points if he played like Florida and just focused on scoring, while sucking on D.

I think he was robbed. Sadly, four more points and many of the "points watchers" would have voted for Gally.

On the plus side, I can't wait for Gally and Chucky to mature over the next couple of years.

It was pretty close between Subban and Suter for the Norris. Subban had 1266 points (66 1st place votes), Suter 1230 (65 1st place votes). Markov finished 13th in Norris balloting.

In the Calder voting, Gallagher was 2nd. It wasn't as close as the Norris voting but he was a far ways ahead of Saad (1048 for Gallagher-730 for Saad). Galchenyuk was 9th.

For the Hart Trophy, Subban was tied for 12th (with Craig Anderson who got the higher seed as his highest vote was 2nd, Subban 4th). Price was tied for 17th. Price also finished tied for 10th in Vezina voting.

It would kind of feel weird for Gallagher to win all the honours so soon. He seems like the guy that no one ever believes in and who always has to fight for his place. The nomination alone is more than he was probably expecting.

It drives me wild reading comments on NHL.com about how undeserving Subban is of winning the Norris, and how he's just all offence and all that bullshit.

Sad part is, I know if Subban wasn't black he wouldn't get half the criticism. Some people have to take a big step back and take there racist heads out of their asses.

Subban will continue to prove them wrong.

Gah.

• Upvote 1

It drives me wild reading comments on NHL.com about how undeserving Subban is of winning the Norris, and how he's just all offence and all that bullshit.

Sad part is, I know if Subban wasn't black he wouldn't get half the criticism. Some people have to take a big step back and take there racist heads out of their asses.

Subban will continue to prove them wrong.

Gah.

Couldn't agree more. :thumbs_up:

Guest Stogey24

Subban has a smile on his face while he's sleeping. Classey fella for sure.

As for Galagher not winning the Calder, I'm pretty shocked. Kid gave his heart and soul on every shift. To be honest, I'm a little sceptical about huberdeau winning the trophy.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry, people were bitching that Subban was all offence? Didn't Paul freakin' Coffey win it? Twice? Karlsson isn't exactly the bastion of brilliant defence - and yet he's vastly underrated defensively as is Subban. Al, "I have a slap shot" MacInnis? Scott Smooth Skating Niedermeyer was never world renowned for his defensive prowess. Brian Leetch needed a map to find his own zone half the time.

So embarrassing that race figgers into it in this day and age. I mean, do these whiners even watch him play?

I'm sorry, people were bitching that Subban was all offence? Didn't Paul freakin' Coffey win it? Twice? Karlsson isn't exactly the bastion of brilliant defence - and yet he's vastly underrated defensively as is Subban. Al, "I have a slap shot" MacInnis? Scott Smooth Skating Niedermeyer was never world renowned for his defensive prowess. Brian Leetch needed a map to find his own zone half the time.

So embarrassing that race figgers into it in this day and age. I mean, do these whiners even watch him play?

Only one ill disagree with there is Scotty Niedermeyer he is unreal for 200 feet.