Nov. 12, Lightning vs Habs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

Give me 10 minutes of 4-on-4 (if the ice can take it, I know that's a consideration). No 3-on-3 or anything like that. But anything that lessens the number and importance of shootouts is okay by me. I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I wouldn't be overly upset if they went back to ties even...that'd get rid of the shootout altogether.

I was about to type that before I read the last line of your paragraph. Get rid of the loser points, bring back the playoff races and decide the games with real hockey. No 4 on 4, no skills competition, you can't win games in regulation you don't deserve two points. The OT kills teams on back to back road games.

More bad news for Team Canada.

Tavares is hurt and gone to the room.

Give me 10 minutes of 4-on-4 (if the ice can take it, I know that's a consideration). No 3-on-3 or anything like that. But anything that lessens the number and importance of shootouts is okay by me. I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I wouldn't be overly upset if they went back to ties even...that'd get rid of the shootout altogether.

I'm all for that F the shootout.

no way they'll get rid of the shootout just cause they hate ties. If you allow ties, teams won't take chances for the win as much. I'm definitely in favour of longer 4 on 4 play.

what don't you like about 3 on 3? Its still a better option than the shootout which is too individual.

So, here's the bottom line on the Montreal defence, at least at this early stage. We have two great players who, when they play together, are generally dominant. After that we have four players who are hit and miss and who don't honestly give us a chance to be proactive or aggressive in our play consistently. Emelin is a very solid player, but I'm not sure he's going to be the answer either. While putting Markov with Emelin seems a strong idea, and then pairing Subban and Gorges gives us two very reasonable combinations, the reality is that we're missing one highly effective defender - a true #3.

And how is that not a penalty for hooking Chucky? Did I see it wrong?

Without Price this is 6. We are NOT supporting our goalie at all these days. His record should be at least 5 wins higher.

And how is that not a penalty for hooking Chucky? Did I see it wrong?

Without Price this is 6. We are NOT supporting our goalie at all these days. His record should be at least 5 wins higher.

You saw it correctly.

Hands first then slid down his stick so he got away with one.

Oh well keep battling.

Tampa is too fast to beat off the rush. Why aren't they cycling the Puck?

Montreal is one of the most terrible teams I've seen at the actual cycle. They're completely speed and finesse, and maintaining possession deep is problematic, at best.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely wonderful support from the forwards for the Tampa defence. They can pinch with confidence because they're almost always backed up. And when Montreal is playing without the same structure as they try to get back in the game, it means we're out of position and easily contained a lot of the time. Tampa's aggressive forecheck is causing all sorts of trouble.

Montreal is one of the most terrible teams I've seen at the actual cycle. They're completely speed and finesse, and maintaining possession deep is problematic, at best.

They have to change that somehow. Tampa made two pre game adjustments you mentioned earlier and we're listless. The "book" on these guys has been out since Gainey.

Haha. Budaj is listening to Denis answer the question as to why Montreal's PP is so good. Like he's vetting the answer. Well played Budaj.

They have to change that somehow. Tampa made two pre game adjustments you mentioned earlier and we're listless. The "book" on these guys has been out since Gainey.

I partially agree. There needs to be an adjustment or three, but the cycle just isn't their game at all. If they're going to survive the cycle, it's going to be because they put all their muscle on one or two (do we have enough?) lines and practice, practice, practice. I suspect there's very little work done with the cycle because it's so far away from the style of play that I believe the club wants us to play.

EDIT: And they'd need a massive and skilled centre to really pull it off.

Haha. Budaj is listening to Denis answer the question as to why Montreal's PP is so good. Like he's vetting the answer. Well played Budaj.

I partially agree. There needs to be an adjustment or three, but the cycle just isn't their game at all. If they're going to survive the cycle, it's going to be because they put all their muscle on one or two (do we have enough?) lines and practice, practice, practice. I suspect there's very little work done with the cycle because it's so far away from the style of play that I believe the club wants us to play.

EDIT: And they'd need a massive and skilled centre to really pull it off.

Maybe not like the Kings or Bruins. But something to keep possession!

And Captain Irrelevant can't bury the shot.