Nov. 12, Lightning vs Habs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

You hope DD is watching? How about the other 12 forwards playing tonight go to the net. The one time they did it went in. That was all about Price.

They should be embarrassed by that weak eddort and should all apologize to Price.

I will admit Briere at least looked interested tonight.

They were soft, slow, lost way too many battles, didn't drive the net. It was a miracle they got a point.

oh, and why is Dumont on this team?

They can even trade these guys for good picks to stock up for the future. Desharnais, Parros, Drewiske, Emelin, Prust all on the sidelines with Leblanc, Beaulieu and Tinordi all knocking on the door. Dumont was the only AHLer out there. So...we have 26 guys who can play at the NHL level with two first pairing dmen, and maybe 2 first liners. (Pacioretty/Galchenyuk). This is the most bizarrely constructed team I've seen in my lifetime. It really seems that the goal of the organization is to be able to ice a .500 team no matter what. Any thoughts?

I think we start by putting Bourque/Gorges on the trading block. Maybe get rid of Briere and Gio at the deadline San Jose style.

oh, and why is Dumont on this team?

Dumont has guaranteed money beyond his AHL salary, $50,000 this year and next. (I'm pretty sure he's the only Montreal player with this.) They've given a few guys a shot so I guess it's his turn while knocking off some of the guaranteed money.

I would rather have Parros in there. I'm obviously the minority on that.

If they are out of the playoffs I could see many players on the block. The team looks bizarre because of MB wanting to have a competitive team while turning over the team to the younger players.

DD could be waived and no one would touch him. Send him to Hamilton.

I would rather have Parros in there. I'm obviously the minority on that.

If they are out of the playoffs I could see many players on the block. The team looks bizarre because of MB wanting to have a competitive team while turning over the team to the younger players.

DD could be waived and no one would touch him. Send him to Hamilton.

I don't see the managerial logic. What he did was turn the team over the kids while signing a bunch of bums to make them compete for their spots, and handicap the team's ability to make trades this year with poor contracts. It's a half rebuild.

Maybe making the playoffs last year forced him to sign the Briere's and Desharnais and Murray's because of expectations? Bourvival/Leblanc and Tinordi in hindsight, (20/20) gets us 2 less goals and 7 million dollars to address needs in season.

The whole team sucked (except for Jesus Price)

Price stole a point.

Sucks we couldn't steal the second point, but we didn't deserve it.

Hamilton's 0 for the season (0/13) as well.

DD was one of our best shootout guys last year, but until he stops playing like a bag of horse manure, he can't play the 65 minutes before the shootout.

I didn't see the game...maybe that's why I find the de facto cries for "tanking" pretty absurd. Edmonton shows convincingly that you need to surround your young guys with capable veterans if you want to rebuild properly. Bourque, Gorges, Gio...you can't move them all at the deadline and expect to help the rebuild. I advocate moving Gio out because we have two cheaper young players in Galy and Bournival who can basically replace him. But who replaces Gorges? Or Bourque? Tinordi and Beaulieu and Leblanc aren't ready this season - does anyone really think it would have been a good idea to throw them to the wolves rather than sign Briere and Murray to short-term deals until they're ready?

Bergevin's specific moves we can quibble over, but in terms of the big picture, he has avoided locking the Habs in to long-term, bloated UFA deals, settling for patchup moves like Briere and Murray, precisely because he wants to leave room for the young talent to blossom. His main contractual error (apart from not ripping off Subban) was a long-term deal to a young player developed from within (Desharnais)...a "rebuilder's" error.

I notice, also, that we got a point tonight because out goalie is frigging awesome. That counts, too - it's also part of the team we're building.

It could go either way for Tampa tonight. Either they will be devastated by the loss of Stamkos, stunned, and therefore ripe for the taking; or they will rally, bear down extra hard, and grind out a number of excellent games before reality catches up to them. Knowing our luck, I'd say the latter ;)

Yikes! Was I right, or did the Habs just suck ass?

Boys were hemmed in their own zone all night, and didn't get too many rebound chances, but Price and Bishop were both awesome tonight. I actually don't think Bishop had to move on a save until half way through the second though... Price was incredible. As good as I have ever seen him. This game could have been 5-0. Just an awesome performance. Unreal. So ummm, have the Habs scored a shootout goal this year?

Yikes! Was I right, or did the Habs just suck ass?

We were pretty close in terms of good chances, the main difference was that Price came up with huge save after huge save, while we ended up missing the net a lot (and Bishop made some big stops of his own). Overall, the Lightning were better, especially in the second when their forecheck had us stuck in our zone. The other two periods were more or less even. So I'd say your prediction came true. Predict something positive for a change!

He signed the wrong UFA. I still don't get why anyone would want a not working for RDS, Le Presse, or Le Journal de Montreal would want the clearly washed up Briere from last year over Jagr.

I didn't see the game...maybe that's why I find the de facto cries for "tanking" pretty absurd. Edmonton shows convincingly that you need to surround your young guys with capable veterans if you want to rebuild properly. Bourque, Gorges, Gio...you can't move them all at the deadline and expect to help the rebuild. I advocate moving Gio out because we have two cheaper young players in Galy and Bournival who can basically replace him. But who replaces Gorges? Or Bourque? Tinordi and Beaulieu and Leblanc aren't ready this season - does anyone really think it would have been a good idea to throw them to the wolves rather than sign Briere and Murray to short-term deals until they're ready?

Bergevin's specific moves we can quibble over, but in terms of the big picture, he has avoided locking the Habs in to long-term, bloated UFA deals, settling for patchup moves like Briere and Murray, precisely because he wants to leave room for the young talent to blossom. His main contractual error (apart from not ripping off Subban) was a long-term deal to a young player developed from within (Desharnais)...a "rebuilder's" error.

I notice, also, that we got a point tonight because out goalie is frigging awesome. That counts, too - it's also part of the team we're building.

Part of the scoring woes and struggles over the last six games is because of Therrien juggling lines. Juggling lines should be done out of desperation, but Therrien ruined a good thing early in the year with the Kid Line, trying to get MB's superstar free agent signing Briere going, then Desharnais going. Now he is doing the same thing. We're a .500 team, why he would move Bournival for Pacioretty is beyond me. I mean I know his reasoning, to get yet another struggling player going, but if you have two good lines and two bad lines, you don't gamble and break up a line because you can get three bad lines and one good line, which is what we have now.

Shoots the puck over the glass while falling... SO CLEARLY INTENTIONALLY DELAYING THE GAME YOU GUYS.

Really like that rule (refs cant screw that one up much and should be cut and dry call), don't care if intentional or not, not sure why so many say it not fair? Doubt would hear one complaint if Tampa air mailed the glass with puck.

Markov was pressured and desperate to clear puck and screwed up.

The whole team sucked (except for Jesus Price)

Price stole a point.

Sucks we couldn't steal the second point, but we didn't deserve it.

DD was one of our best shootout guys last year, but until he stops playing like a bag of horse manure, he can't play the 65 minutes before the shootout.

I really liked the game, was fun and entertaining and was easily worth it just to watch Price, he seemed very motivated and jumps on loose pucks like never before and makes hard saves look easy, etc etc.

PK Subban had a super game, ton of rubber fired at net and when he was on the ice Habs were easily the better team and vice versa. Not sure why don't see any positive comments on his 28minutes of solid play?

Gorges-Murray blocked 9 shots and did their job.

The kids looked good, would of liked to see more of Bournival.

And maybe just maybe will be a bounce that gets Briere going and not a chance DD would of been in the crease at that time to deflect in.

Really like that rule (refs cant screw that one up much and should be cut and dry call), don't care if intentional or not, not sure why so many say it not fair? Doubt would hear one complaint if Tampa air mailed the glass with puck.

Markov was pressured and desperate to clear puck and screwed up.

Treat it like icing: Defensive zone faceoff, no defending team line change.

So i was at the game last night. What a LOUSY performance by the whole team (except for the Kid line, P.K. and of course Carey). I mean it was a real snooze fest for the first 55 minutes of the game. Let's not forget that Tampa Had played Monday and they had jsut lost Stamkos and Salo...and still our guys manage to lose this one...unbelieveable!

I still think this team is too small up front. Our small forwards were being pushed off the puck pretty easily by the bigger Lightning forwards.

Treat it like icing: Defensive zone faceoff, no defending team line change.

I think it is also a fan safety measure after one was killed i think wasnt that (partly) the origin?

Penalty is fine by me, I havent heard any players complaining that is an issue to be addressed?

And (almost) anything that promotes more offense is a good thing dont you think?

And the Habs survived a 5 on 3 in OT which was quite something.

He signed the wrong UFA. I still don't get why anyone would want a not working for RDS, Le Presse, or Le Journal de Montreal would want the clearly washed up Briere from last year over Jagr.

I totally agree with that (you and I have been banging the drum for Jagr for a couple of years now, not that anyone listens to us!). My point in that post was more in response to the idea that Bergevin is bungling the rebuild by doing a half-hearted job. I'm saying the vision is clear and coherent, even if specific decisions made under that umbrella are not.

If anyone's wondering about the rulings on the Tampa non-goal or the Briere allowed goal, here they are:

Tampa:

At 17:14 of the second period in the Lightning/Canadiens game, the Situation Room observed the puck cross the goal line but play continued until 17:50 when a review was initiated. The referee informed the Situation Room that he observed incidental contact in the crease by Lightning forward Tyler Johnson on goaltender Carey Price, if in fact the puck crossed the goal line. Video review confirmed that the puck crossed the goal line. According to Rule 78.5 "Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee when an attacking player has interfered with a goalkeeper in his goal crease." This is not a reviewable play therefore the referee's decision on the ice stands, no goal Tampa Bay. The clock was reset to 17:14.

Briere:

At 15:22 of the third period in the Lightning/Canadiens game, video review supported the referee's call on the ice that the puck deflected off Daniel Briere and into the net in a legal fashion. According to Rule 78.4 "if an attacking player has the puck deflect into the net, off his skate or body, in any manner, the goal shall be allowed." Good goal Montreal.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blog.htm?id=2165

If anyone's wondering about the rulings on the Tampa non-goal or the Briere allowed goal, here they are:

Tampa:

At 17:14 of the second period in the Lightning/Canadiens game, the Situation Room observed the puck cross the goal line but play continued until 17:50 when a review was initiated. The referee informed the Situation Room that he observed incidental contact in the crease by Lightning forward Tyler Johnson on goaltender Carey Price, if in fact the puck crossed the goal line. Video review confirmed that the puck crossed the goal line. According to Rule 78.5 "Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee when an attacking player has interfered with a goalkeeper in his goal crease." This is not a reviewable play therefore the referee's decision on the ice stands, no goal Tampa Bay. The clock was reset to 17:14.

Briere:

At 15:22 of the third period in the Lightning/Canadiens game, video review supported the referee's call on the ice that the puck deflected off Daniel Briere and into the net in a legal fashion. According to Rule 78.4 "if an attacking player has the puck deflect into the net, off his skate or body, in any manner, the goal shall be allowed." Good goal Montreal.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blog.htm?id=2165

Tampa announcers were (understandably) a bit pissed and ref simply waved off goal as if it simply didn't cross the line and instead of admitting such, pulled the interference card out of his...

But they won as they should of, so is all good.