G Alexander Ovechkin (17)
A Nicklas Backstrom (19)
PTS Backstrom/Ovechkin (24)
+/- Alzner/Grabovski/Urbom (+3)
PIMS Tom Wilson (53)
Injuries: John Erskine, Jack Hillen
Scratches: Jay Beagle, Eric Fehr, Tyson Strachan*

Puck Drop: 7:00 PM EST TV: RDS, TSN Radio: TSN 690 FM 98.5

Are they actually trying Bournival on the wing? Just curious. I'd usually expect that line to be Bournival - White - Moen

I know earlier in the season Bournival and White were splitting C time but you're right, judging from the stats from last game, White was strictly a C. That's a bit disappointing to be honest as it moves two players out of position (Bournival's a natural C, Moen a natural LW).

I know earlier in the season Bournival and White were splitting C time but you're right, judging from the stats from last game, White was strictly a C. That's a bit disappointing to be honest as it moves two players out of position (Bournival's a natural C, Moen a natural LW).

Moen has proven I feel that he can work on the right wing fine. Bournival has also been fantastic as a left winger this season. I don't think Bournival has a "natural" other than "natural forward". He never looks "out of position" so to speak.

• Upvote 1

Probably the toughest call Therrien has had to make in his professional career.

We'll be tough for sure, but it will be an adventure back there. Murray is shaky with the puck, and Emelin is still finding his legs. I wonder if they'll mostly play together.

There's a decent point to be made that Murray is more likely to be exposed on the road, especially against Ovechkin and co. I hope he'll be able to play decent minutes and not tax the rest of the defensemen with a game coming the following night.

In his past games, Murray was paired up with Bouillon (often playing his wrong side). Now he'll be with Diaz who may be able to shoulder a bit more responsibility. It'll be interesting to see how that works. On the down side, this likely means Gorges sees regular PP minutes. (It should be Emelin but based on last years' pecking order, Gorges will get the PP time.)

PP stats for Gorges, Emelin, and Murray since 2011-12:

Gorges: 56:44 TOI, 0 points

Emelin: 16:38 TOI, 0 points

Murray: 2:11 TOI, 0 points

Watching Gorges in the offensive end has been frustrating. He gets the puck, stands still, waits 2 seconds, loses all pass or shot lanes, then dumps the puck in the corner or 2 feet wide of the net.

I'd actually like to see Gorges on the right side, just to see if that opens up the ice for him a bit more...

but please keep him off the PP.

Since the start of 2011-2012? Emelin was just breaking into the league and it wasn't clear if he had much in the way of offensive skills. Only last season did we see a little offensive ability from him. Gorges has always been a crappy stop-gap second wave guy. Plus there's Emelin's injury, which kept him out during the period when he would have been competing for a PP spot.

Since the start of 2011-2012? Emelin was just breaking into the league and it wasn't clear if he had much in the way of offensive skills. Only last season did we see a little offensive ability from him. Gorges has always been a crappy stop-gap second wave guy. Plus there's Emelin's injury, which kept him out during the period when he would have been competing for a PP spot.

I picked 2011-12 for a couple of reasons. One, that was the same time frame I used for Bouillon's stat that got a lot of attention on Twitter (so it needed to be the same for comparison purposes) and two, as you noted, that's when Emelin came into the league (the only three years that all three played).

Gorges was a known commodity at that point, Emelin was not. We've already seen that Therrien doesn't think much of Gorges on the powerplay, since he puts Bouillon ahead of him, and it seemed like Emelin was taking his spot last year. I expect we'll see both (if PK comes off the ice).

Gorges was a known commodity at that point, Emelin was not. We've already seen that Therrien doesn't think much of Gorges on the powerplay, since he puts Bouillon ahead of him, and it seemed like Emelin was taking his spot last year. I expect we'll see both (if PK comes off the ice).

We all hoped he would but seldom was it the case. Last year, Gorges had 21:44 of PP TOI in 48 GP, Emelin just 5:07 in 38 GP. Mind you, that's not a ton of time but it would've been nice had those been flipped.

Hmm, that's not much time at all.

One thing that Therrien has shown this year is that nothing is as set in stone as we might have thought coming into the year. He broke up DD and Patches, put Markov and Subban together, moved the kid line around when it was doing well. I don't see any reason why he would be attached to Gorges on the powerplay above Emelin.

Nice to see Murray draw in.

I do question his partners IQ when they pass him the puck though (when they themselves are not in desparation), it is the same as passing to Hal Gill and should not be done, unless dire circumstances.

Yemelin got the Savardian spinarama down and seems to be much better with puck at the point than Gorges or Boullion.

But like someone said, let PK stay for full 2 minutes with Markov then Diaz, until Yemelin is up to speed.

But like someone said, let PK stay for full 2 minutes with Markov then Diaz, until Yemelin is up to speed.

Absolutely. Just think about it. If we got Emelin and Murray in the lineup, our PK is set. If Subban is never going to draw minutes on the PK then hey, make him a permanent fixture on the PP. No need to try anyone else.

I think we may see double Subban, but will also see a bit of Diaz and Emelin on the PP as a second unit, I think Emelin has more upside offensively than some folks think. Wanna see that drive to the net by Max's line, and the strong forecheck game like vs the Wild, with a taste of some good minutes cycling in the Wash end by our fourth line tonight, only hard work can let me see that! Go Budaj!