Mac Bennett signed - 2 years

Meller93

Everything I've ever read about him has been positive. He doesn't seem to have a whole lo of offensive upside to his game, but he's a true leader and is one of the smoothest skating prospects we have. Who's a comparable?

From what I have read he is smallish offensive defenceman. That was in hockeys future. It will be interesting to see how he turns out, he seems to go against the grain of becoming bigger. But they must see something good in him or they wouldn't have drafted him so high and signed him. Why the 2 year contract, I thought entry level deals were more of the 3 year variety.

Everything I've ever read about him has been positive. He doesn't seem to have a whole lo of offensive upside to his game, but he's a true leader and is one of the smoothest skating prospects we have. Who's a comparable?

Hard to think of NHL equal (sort of poorman's Tobias Engstrom maybe?).

I would say slightly less skilled, better defensively and close to Beaulieu in skating.

From what I have read he is smallish offensive defenceman. That was in hockeys future. It will be interesting to see how he turns out, he seems to go against the grain of becoming bigger. But they must see something good in him or they wouldn't have drafted him so high and signed him. Why the 2 year contract, I thought entry level deals were more of the 3 year variety.

Yes, smallish d-man, but supposedly very strong on skates and has some puck skills, can lug the puck and even take it to the net, but he seemed to concentrate on his defensive play as Captain this year, but coach/ play by play guys always had positive comments as a leader and his play.

And likely will have his ol d-partner in Michigan, Pateryn to mentor and maybe even be paired with again in Hamilton?

Am quite looking forward to see how he does in Hamilton very soon.

from what I've seen and read about him, he's a smallish defenseman who is solid defensively but doesn't have much of an upside on offense.

Kinda reminds me of Gorges a little.

from what I've seen and read about him, he's a smallish defenseman who is solid defensively but doesn't have much of an upside on offense.

Kinda reminds me of Gorges a little.

His skating and puck skills are light years ahead of Gorges and his defense is no where near as solid as Gorges, so more like poormans Beaulieu maybe (but more mature, smaller ego)

Dlbair has stated that he cannot play for the Canadiens, I guess because his ELC is for the next two hockey years. Can someone clarify if he can sign a PTA and play for the bulldogs.

He can sign an ATO (not a PTO as he has not yet played pro). He has not yet signed one, however.

He and Pateryn were paired together for a few seasons at Michigan.

Yes most of 2 years they were together I think and Pateryn seems a perfect (very young) mentor to all 3 of Bennett-Dietz-Thrower. Unless Pateryn can make Habs out of camp, small chance it seems (unless Beaulieu has a lazy summer).

He can sign an ATO (not a PTO as he has not yet played pro). He has not yet signed one, however.

Thanks Dlbair-- Just thought maybe his ELC might legally trump a trip to Hamilton. Could they have in lieu of ATO extended the ELC to include the remaining weeks of this year (2013/2014) and what would it have cost?

Thanks Dlbair-- Just thought maybe his ELC might legally trump a trip to Hamilton. Could they have in lieu of ATO extended the ELC to include the remaining weeks of this year (2013/2014) and what would it have cost?

His max contract length for an ELC is 2 years. Had they made it so it started this season, he'd have been an RFA after next year instead of being signed through '15-'16.

His max contract length for an ELC is 2 years. Had they made it so it started this season, he'd have been an RFA after next year instead of being signed through '15-'16.

Why not a 3 year deal, as Bozon-Dietz-Hudon got? They arnt really that sold on him maybe, similar to Thrower?

Why not a 3 year deal, as Bozon-Dietz-Hudon got? They arnt really that sold on him maybe, similar to Thrower?

The length of ELC's is determined by age.

18-21: 3 years

22-23: 2 years

24: 1 year

That's why all the college UFA's get 2 or 1 year deals. Thrower will get 3 years if/when he signs.

The length of ELC's is determined by age.

18-21: 3 years

22-23: 2 years

24: 1 year

That's why all the college UFA's get 2 or 1 year deals. Thrower will get 3 years if/when he signs.

Ahh, didn't know that, thanks again.

I won't put this on the contract page on the site until tomorrow but here are the contract terms:

14-15: AHL salary $67,500, NHL salary $690,000, potential bonuses $210,000, signing bonus $90,000.

15-16: AHL salary $67,500, NHL salary $690,000, potential bonuses $210,000, signing bonus $90,000.