Dale Weise - MB's best trade yet.

In another thread i listed Dale Weise as one of my top pleasant surprises since Montreal acquired him. I've loved everything I've seen from this guy since he first arrived in Montreal, but his playoff performance has been nothing short of incredible so far. I'm not even sure he belongs on the fourth line (and neither is MT, as Weise keeps finding himself filling in on other lines as needed). Anyway, I thought this article from vancouver was interesting: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Weise+Stanley+runneth+over/9816547/story.html

Excerpt:

John Tortorella dished Weise one of his typically callous backhanded compliments. While trying to give Weise some credit with the media for setting up Brad Richardson for a goal, Tortorella basically said he’s offensively clueless.

“I’m not so sure he knows what’s going on,” the coach said then. “I think it’s just happening, but it was a big goal for us.”

That, like many things Tortorella did and said, never sat well with Weise, whose bravado and confidence always stood out in a league filled with it.

This is why it shouldn’t startle anyone that after Game 3 Tuesday, Weise — now with the Montreal Canadiens — freely admitted his chest-pumping goal celebration was intended to mock the Boston Bruins. His honesty may come back to bite him in this series, and it may not. But Weise has never shown much concern about how he is perceived.

When Weise shocked people, as much as people can be shocked at a Canucks skills competition, by beating out players like Mason Raymond to win the team’s fastest skater competition he was asked if he was surprised.

“Uh, no,” he deadpanned. “Not at all.”

Humility has never been his thing, probably because he has long believed he is better than the fourth-line corner he’s been boxed into.

Showing up the Bruins lets everyone know how much he’s relishing what is happening this postseason. He’s scored a couple of big goals. He’s playing more than 10 minutes a game. And when the Habs were trying to close out a one-goal Game 3 lead, it was Weise on the ice in the final minute.

It’s pretty good stuff for a pending restricted free agent who just may finally get himself some security with a multi-year contract.

None of this, of course, was going to happen in Vancouver.

Apparently Weise was a die hard Habs fan growing up in Winnipeg.

He's an RFA this year...and he'll be a cheap player to lock up to a nice long term deal. And he's 25! Looking at the entire package of enthusiasm, cost, and talent - I don't think you'll find a better fourth liner in the league.

I thought trade was a good deal for both teams.

Nice to have several energy guys who can fill in on 4th line.

And loved his 5 hole goal on bruin goalie.

Best trade? Vanek.

Heck, Weaver for a 5th is pretty awesome.

But yeah... Wiese is nice.

See, right now I will agree, and if it gets us deep into the playoffs, more so.

However, after the season is over, when Weaver and Vanek are gone, five years down the road Weise will still be with us.

See, right now I will agree, and if it gets us deep into the playoffs, more so.

However, after the season is over, when Weaver and Vanek are gone, five years down the road Weise will still be with us.

I reckon Weaver has earned a "Bouillon" contract with Montreal if he wants to stay, but I get your point.

This is what needed to happen.

Take Eller, Bourque and Weise out of the equation, and it's a long series and Tampa, followed up by being second round fodder like the Rangers or Wild.

Pacioretty and Gallagher have been invisible this series. Price has been superb, but nowhere near Halak in 2010. He stole one game out of the seven they've played.

It sounds like bs until you see role players step up on a game by game basis, but this is exactly what happens when a team out plays expectations.

I wouldn't say Gallagher has been invisible. What he's done hasn't shown up a lot on the scoreboard, but every shift he's on the ice, he seems to be everywhere at once, in everybody's face, and helping control play. He tires out the Bruins. Sure, I'd like him to do more scoring (and he's done some), but ultimately, he's doing what he needs to do on the ice.

Patches... Boston's using their top shutdown line on Max, and it's working. However, by focusing their defensive best on Patches and Desharnais, it's opening up the ice for everyone else. (And it's also why Vanek's getting moved around again.)

Guest Stogey24

I wouldn't say Gallagher has been invisible. What he's done hasn't shown up a lot on the scoreboard, but every shift he's on the ice, he seems to be everywhere at once, in everybody's face, and helping control play. He tires out the Bruins. Sure, I'd like him to do more scoring (and he's done some), but ultimately, he's doing what he needs to do on the ice.

Patches... Boston's using their top shutdown line on Max, and it's working. However, by focusing their defensive best on Patches and Desharnais, it's opening up the ice for everyone else. (And it's also why Vanek's getting moved around again.)

Boston has been very physical on Gallagher. I don't know how many times I've seen him get rubbed out along the boards. Boston has done a pretty good job of keeping Gallagher to the outside.

Oh, how fondly I remember many posting on here that we didn't get enough back for our stud defenseman Diaz...

Dumb dumb Bergevin eh. :nuts:

Dumb dumb Bergevin eh. :nuts:

I'm actually having a good time going back and reading some of the threads. I think that Bergevin's best trades have been the ones that he didn't make. People wanted to blow this team up and trade 79, 21, 17, 81, 26, 51 and 48 because they didn't think we were good enough to compete. Can you imagine?

Boston has been very physical on Gallagher. I don't know how many times I've seen him get rubbed out along the boards. Boston has done a pretty good job of keeping Gallagher to the outside.

Gallagher's effectiveness has ironically declined with his promotion to the top line. It's the Desharnais/Pacioretty pairing that Boston upon which Boston is focusing it's suffocating defense, and very effectively. It doesn't matter whether you team Vanek or Gallagher with them, they aren't performing. When Gallagher takes a double shift (which has happened a fair bit) he seems far more visible.

Gallagher's effectiveness?

Every Boston newspaper is discussing him. The Bruins are obsessed with him. They think that if anyone takes their eye off of him he's gonna score a goal and stab Rask at the same time. He's almost in their heads as much as Subban and Price.

Boston is hell bent on shutting our top six down. The defence on them has been stifling and still they get angered because Gallagher can still find a way to their net. They are afraid of what he's capable of and when he stood his ground in the Bruins crease, it was the first time in probably years that the Bruins felt bullied. And it was by a guy under six feet tall.

The Boston Globe isn't going to write about him just because they are bored: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/05/07/brendan-gallagher-spark-plug-for-canadiens/M9a7JKz41RMzy7I2cooEbP/story.html

I'm actually having a good time going back and reading some of the threads. I think that Bergevin's best trades have been the ones that he didn't make. People wanted to blow this team up and trade 79, 21, 17, 81, 26, 51 and 48 because they didn't think we were good enough to compete. Can you imagine?

Ya bunch of dummies (just dont read my DD comments from the fall, I was also for trading 79, not blow it up but didnt think the team would do as well as have done) :nuts:

I got harassed for supporting the Great Dane all year and am very glad he is doing so well after tough reg season.

MB is begining to look like a real genius, with the Weaver, Wiese, Vanek pickups. But lets not forget, Rick Dudley is in the background weaving his magic.

MB is begining to look like a real genius, with the Weaver, Wiese, Vanek pickups. But lets not forget, Rick Dudley is in the background weaving his magic.

Ah....but who hired Therrien :ph34r: , Dudley, Mellanby, LaPointe, Waite, ol Brisbois, Ethan Moreau and other extra scouts. So still comes back to him.

Ah....but who hired Therrien :ph34r: , Dudley, Mellanby, LaPointe, Waite, ol Brisbois, Ethan Moreau and other extra scouts. So still comes back to him.

we are n complete agreement.

I sure was wrong about the Weisse trade. Torterella had a hate-on for him because Weisse thought he was better than a fourth-line grinder. What Weisse has shown is that he is capable of being one of those fourth-liners that occasionally comes out of nowhere and delivers a timely goal, like a sort of low-grade Mike McPhee. Given the dismal state of Vancouver's forward configuration, when the trade was made I thought this guy really must be a dog if Van was happy to let him go. It turns out that van's being willing to dump him was simply a sign of Torts being a jackass.

MB's deadline moves were all terrific. :thumbs_up:

All were good pickups, but would have meant. Irving if he didn't get Vanek. I didn't see him doing that and was shocked with how little we gave up.

Even though vanek/max pack aren't scoring, having other teams worry about them has created oppertunities for others.

I sure was wrong about the Weisse trade. Torterella had a hate-on for him because Weisse thought he was better than a fourth-line grinder. What Weisse has shown is that he is capable of being one of those fourth-liners that occasionally comes out of nowhere and delivers a timely goal, like a sort of low-grade Mike McPhee. Given the dismal state of Vancouver's forward configuration, when the trade was made I thought this guy really must be a dog if Van was happy to let him go. It turns out that van's being willing to dump him was simply a sign of Torts being a jackass.

MB's deadline moves were all terrific. :thumbs_up:

• Upvote 1