The Next Captain

Commandant

gionta recommends travis moen as the next captain?! the guy can't even crack the lineup, how could he possibly be a suitable captain?

There's more to a team than merely the on-ice contributions. Moen has long been thought of as a good guy in the room and is now one of the elder statesmen of the Habs, not only in terms of NHL experience but also time in Montreal (5 years). There's no way Moen gets the captaincy but it's not surprising at all to hear a former player bring his name up.

For what it's worth, Gionta also mentioned Plekanec as a good choice to succeed him.

Plekanec, Markov, Subban, Desharnais or Pacioretty, I would pick one of first two, but really isn't a big deal to me who gets a letter.

Just going another season without one would be goofy.

If Moen was healthy he'd be great as a sort of Chris Clark/Tim Taylor kind of captain. The guy who nobody expects to score goals but instead just expects to play the role of captain. Carbonneau was this for Montreal as well. People worried about the "pressure" on a young star wearing the C could be? Moen is perfect to deal with that. He's also comfortable with the media, comfortable with the environment in Montreal and has no issue with talking to referees. He also has zero credibility issues with his on ice play and is respected around the league.

Unfortunately, one has to question his health and how much Dale Weise has supplanted him in the lineup. I still think he's one of our best penalty killers but that might not be enough to crack the lineup for 82 games.

Pacioretty really wants the C. Here's his third comment in a week or so:

"It’s already an honor just to be in the conversation, but I know I have to step up and help lead this team no matter if there’s a letter on this sweater or not," said Pacioretty, 25, Montreal's leading scorer last season. "I feel like I'm ready for it. When Gorges and Gio were here, you don’t want to step on any toes, you want the leaders to lead and want them to be able to do their thing. But now that they’re gone, I think there’s a big gap to fill right now. I hope to be able to do so. Whoever does have the 'C' on their sweater, he's going to have a lot of help. We know a lot of guys in the room that can lead, guys who have been on Stanley Cup teams. So I think whoever gets the letter, he’ll get help."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/32412/pacioretty-looking-forward-to-bruins-rematch

Here's a funny thought-if Jean Beliveau's health doesn't improve, Guy Lafleur is the next logical choice to pass the torch off during opening night. Can you imagine him passing the torch to Max Pacioretty?

If nothing else, I think that all of these comments are pointing towards a captain being named, instead of 3 A's.

Three "As" really might be the way to go. It *feels* too soon to anoint anyone from the young core - they still have maturing to do (e.g., Patches is still figuring out how to bring his A-game nightly in the playoffs). The obvious veteran choice (Markov) doesn't want it. Pleks may not be in the longer-term plans. Three "As" splits the difference and allows more time for one of the younger guys to establish himself as a clear-cut team leader.

Guest Stogey24

Three "As" really might be the way to go. It *feels* too soon to anoint anyone from the young core - they still have maturing to do (e.g., Patches is still figuring out how to bring his A-game nightly in the playoffs). The obvious veteran choice (Markov) doesn't want it. Pleks may not be in the longer-term plans. Three "As" splits the difference and allows more time for one of the younger guys to establish himself as a clear-cut team leader.

I think moving Gio and Gorges is basically the passing of the Torch to the younger generation.Especially with Subban and Pac going on stand saying they would love to step up into bigger roles on the team. The era of the wily vet captain is over.

I think most of us expected this but it's the coaches/management that will name the captain instead of a players vote: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eric-Engels/Therrien-says-Management-will-Choose-and-Announce8230/82/62231

It also appears that the captain will be named sooner rather than later.

Not happy with that unless management is actually consulting with the players about it.

Not happy with that unless management is actually consulting with the players about it.

Agree about consulting the players, but the whole 'player vote' model went down the drain with the Carbo/Chelios debacle. I also think that letting players vote can intensify politics within the dressing room to the detriment of team unity. Assuming some sensible consultations, the Habs are doing the right thing.

Agree about consulting the players, but the whole 'player vote' model went down the drain with the Carbo/Chelios debacle. I also think that letting players vote can intensify politics within the dressing room to the detriment of team unity. Assuming some sensible consultations, the Habs are doing the right thing.

I might be wrong but Muller, Keane, Koivu and Gionta were all dressing room vote while Turgeon was a management decision. Both ways have their positives and negatives.

I might be wrong but Muller, Keane, Koivu and Gionta were all dressing room vote while Turgeon was a management decision. Both ways have their positives and negatives.

I forget what happened with the first three, but you are certainly right about Turgeon; I'm pretty sure Gio was not a dressing-room vote, though - ?

Markov is really the only choice. He is a leader, everyone looks up to him. Markov as catain= no controversy. Anyone else will be a distraction. I don't think Patches or PK are the best of buds so it may create some friction if one of the two young bulls is made captain. 2nd choice would have to be Plekanec.

I forget what happened with the first three, but you are certainly right about Turgeon; I'm pretty sure Gio was not a dressing-room vote, though - ?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/35331-Montreal-Canadiens-name-Brian-Gionta-captain-Gill-Markov-remain-alternates.html

You are correct on Gionta. I always thought it was a locker vote. Maybe I misinterpreted a player saying he *would* have voted for Gionta, rather than actually doing it.

I'm pretty sure Gionta was appointed by the coaches/management but I don't know for sure.

Unless I just had too big of a hockey Buzz on, somebody who has the initials EE claims that per RDS, Therrien has stated the next Captain will indeed be picked by management, and soon....

If Markov won't take the C I hope they go with the 3 A's but I don't see it happening. I really hope to see Markov finish his career with the C and a few rings then hand the torch to someone who has become the obvious choice. If not I think it plays out one of two ways. Either the brass has made the commitment to it's direction and either Pax or PK get it and becomes a long tenure Captain or it goes to a short term guy they plan on moving at some point, thereby allowing the player who has become the obvious choice out of the 2 P's the permanent captaincy. DD for C! :hyper: