The Next Captain

Commandant

Guest Stogey24

Just read an article where Pac was talking about who would take over the captaincy void...I'm starting to get the feeling he may take the reins.

TSN had something about this last week, too.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=460219

Hmmm. He is clearly lobbying for the job. He wants it.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I continue to think it's better to give the "C" to a veteran rather than a young guy, especially in the merciless crucible of Montreal, where still-developing players don't need extra pressure. Conversely, I admire a player's wanting that added responsibility - it speaks to a high level of motivation, confidence, and ownership of team performance. And yet there's a final consideration: whether it's not unseemly or uncool to be lobbying so publicly for the job. What if Plekanec wants it too? Is he now supposed to come out and start politicking for it in competition with Patches? Perhaps real leadership would reside in NOT being so publicly desirous of the captaincy - understanding the need for discretion, lest internal divisions be intensified.

Pacioretty is 25, turning 26 in November. That'd be around the same age as Saku Koivu,

I've made the point before that it's silly to complain about extra pressure. If that's the case, we might as well just not play to try to win the Stanley Cup. Too much pressure to try and do that. It's one thing to be Stephane Richer, battling depression and self-esteem. It's another to be Max Pacioretty, a guy who survived a near career ending injury to become our best winger and is lobbying for the position.

If Plekanec wants it? That's great. It should goto a team vote. I remember when Gionta got named captain. It seemed obvious afterwards that the real "leader in the locker room" was Hal Gill, but nobody was going to accept the idea of Hal Gill as captian. Gionta was a safe pick, and he was a veteran everyone respected. The locker room knew the right elements to have.

That said, Mike Cammalleri once lobbied for the C and got burned for it because he didn't put enough for Jacques Martin to respect him as such. I don't see that with Max. About the only concern with him would be what kind of kerfuffle people will make to there being a non-Canadian in the captaincy role since 1999. Which is stupid but there are stupid Habs fans.

He'd be a fine choice.

About the only concern with him would be what kind of kerfuffle people will make to there being a non-Canadian in the captaincy role since 1999. Which is stupid but there are stupid Habs fans.

He'd be a fine choice.

Funny how the alternative is a Canadian (and not even Canadien) kid from Toronto.

Hmmm. He is clearly lobbying for the job. He wants it.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I continue to think it's better to give the "C" to a veteran rather than a young guy, especially in the merciless crucible of Montreal, where still-developing players don't need extra pressure. Conversely, I admire a player's wanting that added responsibility - it speaks to a high level of motivation, confidence, and ownership of team performance. And yet there's a final consideration: whether it's not unseemly or uncool to be lobbying so publicly for the job. What if Plekanec wants it too? Is he now supposed to come out and start politicking for it in competition with Patches? Perhaps real leadership would reside in NOT being so publicly desirous of the captaincy - understanding the need for discretion, lest internal divisions be intensified.

I read a funny story the other day about when Beliveau was elected Captain of the habs, yes elected by the players, his competition was Boom Boom Geoferion, who was absolutely pissed that he lost. Boomer was a great hab and wanted the captaincy, he would probably have been a good captain. But the players chose right and got a great captain. Maybe we should let the players decide.

I've made the point before that it's silly to complain about extra pressure. If that's the case, we might as well just not play to try to win the Stanley Cup. Too much pressure to try and do that. It's one thing to be Stephane Richer, battling depression and self-esteem. It's another to be Max Pacioretty, a guy who survived a near career ending injury to become our best winger and is lobbying for the position.

I don't disagree with you, but some do respond differently to extra pressure. Some thrive, and some are buried by it. We won't really know until it happens, but I'd prefer someone like Pleks dealing with the challenge than Patch. We know he's streaky, and how much of that is based on the pressure that he puts on himself? We also saw him miss chance after chance when he had 4 games to score one more goal to reach 40 last season. Obviously, it's only my opinion, but I thought that extra pressure to reach 40 goals really hindered his play. Who knows what effect the captaincy would have on him.

That all being said, Patch is my next choice after Plekanec (assuming Markov declines the C).

There's more to consider than the player here and the added pressure on just him, whoever it is named as captain.

What is most important is that the player has the other player's respect, and has respect throughout the league among referees and opposing players as well.

The new captain also has to represent the Montreal Canadiens organization as a whole.

With all that in mind, no way I vote for Plekanec(known to dive, tis true), all things considered, PK consideration too, right now it's Markov (and he probably doesn't want it)then it should really be Pacioretty, because he is the right type of person to be captain, great character, and arguably our best player at this point.

A very articulate, hard working and respectable NHL player, an all star, and that guy that can score the game winner on his own....

No brainer. Max!

He's not shy about his intentions. Good for him. He should get something after he got fleeced on his contract.

There's more to consider than the player here and the added pressure on just him, whoever it is named as captain.

What is most important is that the player has the other player's respect, and has respect throughout the league among referees and opposing players as well.

The new captain also has to represent the Montreal Canadiens organization as a whole.

With all that in mind, no way I vote for Plekanec(known to dive, tis true), all things considered, PK consideration too, right now it's Markov (and he probably doesn't want it)then it should really be Pacioretty, because he is the right type of person to be captain, great character, and arguably our best player at this point.

A very articulate, hard working and respectable NHL player, an all star, and that guy that can score the game winner on his own....

No brainer. Max!

I'm in the same boat as you about Pacioretty, but that dive from Plekanec is going to blow over. That little head snap isn't going to be YouTubed for the next ten years like Ribeiro.

CBC would disagree with you. According to them, Pacioretty's contract is the worst on the Habs (thus he didn't get fleeced). Their explanation for this is hilarious. http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-contracts-the-8-worst-for-canadian-teams-1.2757308

That is totally funny. Just horrible analysis. Pacioretty had one of the best contracts in hockey.

Dion got a whopping 53% of the vote. Three times the next player.

The best part is the moniker "Mad Max." I've never heard Pacioretty get called that.

I think Pacioretty was featured on DGBs "Most Depressing Cap Geek" feature. If he was on the market, twenty-ninr teams would call.

That's one of the prelims with the internet media sites. I don't think there is anyone who reviews some of the drival written by a moron.

The more I think about it, the less I like MaxPac's energetic, public lobbying for the job. What happens if he doesn't get it? Does it then look like the organization thumbing him very publicly in the eye? Does he feel made a fool of? By ratcheting up the pressure, meanwhile, MaxPac is making it harder to choose someone else, and if he does get the job that 'other person' (Pleks, presumably) might feel robbed of a deserve honour, that he was punished for being discreet. I just don't see how this kind of public campaigning does a dressing room any good.

The more I think about it, the less I like MaxPac's energetic, public lobbying for the job. What happens if he doesn't get it? Does it then look like the organization thumbing him very publicly in the eye? Does he feel made a fool of? By ratcheting up the pressure, meanwhile, MaxPac is making it harder to choose someone else, and if he does get the job that 'other person' (Pleks, presumably) might feel robbed of a deserve honour, that he was punished for being discreet. I just don't see how this kind of public campaigning does a dressing room any good.

Maybe next year he'll call the team a bunch of losers and get traded for Chris Stewart?

I like his moxie, but it is kind of strange to mention this twice publicly when he only has an outside shot of being picked. I think I was one of the few people who brought up his name when we started this thread.

Maybe he knows something we don't? MB could be more serious than we thought about transferring the leadership to the youth.

As far as Markov being the captain, I heard a good perspective on TSN690. He's turned down the role in the past. He's also an intimidating, bald/quiet Russian who isn't very vocal and probably doesn't talk much, period.

You do see Markov talking on the ice. Remember him calming down Subban in the first round last year? And I'm sure that when he does speak, you can hear a pin drop. There's different ways of being a leader.

That said, it's not clear why he would now want the job, when he refused it in the past. That's the trouble.

Nothing I've heard has changed my opinion that Pleks, the consummate pro and seasoned Montreal vet, shouldn't get the "C," but ultimately only people within the organization and the dressing room know who the best choice is. I just don't care for MaxPac's open campaign to be captain - there's no way it can help and definite ways in which it can hurt.

Cammalleri campaigned for the C privately, got dressed down by Martin publicly at practice for it, rumoured to be mocked by Lapierre and the team at a Christmas secret Santa and this was all before the 09-10 playoffs.

It's one thing to think it's all like a TV show where if a player doesn't get what they want that immediately means they are mad and want out. But Patches seems to have thick skin to me.

Boom boom was very pissed when Beliveau was chosen as captain over him. Reportedly corsin was upset that he abstained from the vote, while koivu supposedly voted for himself and won by the single vote difference.

They got over it.

Maxpac is not holding press conferences to announce his canidency. He gets asked a question and has responded honestly. People complain over generic cookie cutter answers and then complain when someone actually speak their mind. What is the big deal??

Frankly, I think the only veteran I'd give the captaincy to is Markov, next choice is Subban. Maxpac gets an A.

The only concern I'd have about Markov, is that if his play drops off dramatically, it would be an uncomfortable situation. Otherwise I'm not worried about Markov's willingness. He is much better with the media now, English has improved and he is s more vocal leader now than he was 4 years ago.

Cammalleri campaigned for the C privately, got dressed down by Martin publicly at practice for it, rumoured to be mocked by Lapierre and the team at a Christmas secret Santa and this was all before the 09-10 playoffs.

It's one thing to think it's all like a TV show where if a player doesn't get what they want that immediately means they are mad and want out. But Patches seems to have thick skin to me.

Guest Stogey24

Boom boom was very pissed when Beliveau was chosen as captain over him. Reportedly corsin was upset that he abstained from the vote, while koivu supposedly voted for himself and won by the single vote difference.

They got over it.

Maxpac is not holding press conferences to announce his canidency. He gets asked a question and has responded honestly. People complain over generic cookie cutter answers and then complain when someone actually speak their mind. What is the big deal??

Frankly, I think the only veteran I'd give the captaincy to is Markov, next choice is Subban. Maxpac gets an A.

The only concern I'd have about Markov, is that if his play drops off dramatically, it would be an uncomfortable situation. Otherwise I'm not worried about Markov's willingness. He is much better with the media now, English has improved and he is s more vocal leader now than he was 4 years ago.

That's a good point about Markov. I could also see a trade happening before his contract expires if a couple rookies decide to find their game. The next candidate up; Plekanec, his contract is up after next season... It's time to put one of the younger vets in a captaincy position.