The Powerplay

We really ought to update those, those were thrown together back in 2003...there's no difference in rating between someone with 1,100 posts and 11,000 posts.

Jeez it is amazing how long this thing has been going.

We really ought to update those, those were thrown together back in 2003...there's no difference in rating between someone with 1,100 posts and 11,000 posts.

So, what are you saying?

It is sad state-of-affairs that on a day we go 1-for-5 on the powerplay, we rejoice at how our powerplay was clicking.

(Not saying we shouldn't, but 1-for-5 is still fairly mediocre. Although it could have easily been 2-for-5, we did seem to look better out there.)

So, what are you saying?

I'm suggesting that the criteria to get 'promoted' to each level could change to more accurately reflect how long we've been online. You reach Hall of Fame status at 1,100 posts - in 2005, that was a lot of posts. In 2014, not so much.

I see, well this is a very cool forum, I can see why it's been around so long, very knowledgeable group of posters to say the least.

I've ran my own website and discussion forums for fly fishing for a few years now, and I see what you mean, I have not looked at that feature on mine since inception either...

Kudo's on a great job here!

I'm suggesting that the criteria to get 'promoted' to each level could change to more accurately reflect how long we've been online. You reach Hall of Fame status at 1,100 posts - in 2005, that was a lot of posts. In 2014, not so much.

Do it by post quality based on reputation.

10 positive posts: AHLer. Over 200 positive reputation: NHL Hall of Fame

10 negative posts: Waterboy 200 negative reputation: Brad Marchand

Etc.

500 negatives: Jeffrey Loria.

"Do it by post quality based on reputation"

Aw hell. I never do well in places with standards. I strive for mediocrity.

PJ Stock would be good. Milbury and Cherry have a few fans. I've never heard anybody speak well of what that guy does.

Nor should they that lil prork deserves a kick in the canoles.

I don't know, it just seems that our power play has never looked to good ever since PK and markov play the points together. it seems to always be a mess cause PK constantly is pushing his slapper and wants to flip flop with marky all the time disrupting the points and flow of possession.

i am a FIRM believer that if therrien simply flips gilbert and markov in pairings you will see instant dividends.

1st unit

patch DD gallagher

PK gilbert

2nd unit

paranteau plex galchenyuk

markov beaulieau

-a lefty feeding a lefty on the right point creates the perfect one timer and markov seems to be able to make any lefty an offensive juggernaut on the PP why not beaulieau... On the flip side, PK needs a right handed defender to feed his shot on the PP to really maximize this weapon and take it to the next level in scoring.

the simple secret to our power play.. a little blast from the past (success)

i see.....

i once again must stress that you need stability on the point for the PP regardless of net presence or lack of. our points on the PP are always playing erratic and we need stability and to get that markov needs to stick to left side and find the open shooter....

really....

even if we have that net presence.... if the entire 2 minutes is spent trying to enter the zone and we have markov and subban flip flopping constantly and PK is skating all over the place.... where is the shots, imagination? we can't even gain the zone and when we do and subban is on the left point waiting to unleash a bomb you have markov so far away from him in order to square up to give him that shot ( unless he is feeding him off his backhand it will never work on a consistent basis unless the shot is perfectly placed)

earlier it was stated how unstoppable the PP of years past was... why?? because

if you look at a stable point on the power play like I've been preaching for like forever on the PP for example (stability meaning the defenders stay on each of there points and refrain from erratic play on the blue line lefty feeding lefty or righty feeding righty).....

-markov on left feeding the one timer on the right point w/ left shot (play 1) this is a quick cross ice one timer not a stop caulk and shoot that were seeing from PK because its just not working

-defender takes away that point shot leaving space for the cross ice pass to patch for one timer from marky (option 2)

-markov can also go down low with a pass to gallagher who can jam the post or go cross crease to patch(option3)

-DD behind net can go to the boards back to patch for shot from the hash (option 5) or give and go down low (option6))

-dd up high to subban or find marky creeping up on the back door play. (options 7 and 8).

- cycling the puck on the PP is for chumps... we have an extra man on the ice and should gain zone and keep possession. find open players for ideal shots while having the goalie moving lateral so to open gaps in the net. this only works when you have your forwards skating through or standing in front of goal. but if the shots from the point are coming after per say PK stops the puck squares up and shoots its giving the PK'ers to much time to box out, block shots and the goalie to get into position. there is no problem with movement on the PP from the forwards. or the defenders sneaking up for the back door. but the players need to know that marky is the outlet on the point. the safety net that if the cycle starts you can swing the puck around the boards and his left stick is there on the boards to regroup and start over...

stability, structure and presence on the PP starts with the defenders on the point and its just not working long term over the last 2 seasons with PK and marky.... i believe the staff knows this but aren't willing to demote either quite yet from the 1st unit....

you don't say...

now remove all players names and insert markov, souray, schneider, streit, bergeron kovy, koivu, ryder plex etc... etc.. what is the common denominator here... thats right a stable presence on the points

interesting...

i don't know..... I've been asking for a lefty to play the point with markov for over a year.... has MB finally listened? he heard my pleas to move gorges and bring in a righty (weaver) last year.... i think he might be following me on twitter...lol

no way.....

with that said, will MT have the guts to be as bold as MB is in the office, and move subban on the first unit and put gonchar on the right?

maybe try subban on the left half boards??

I'm just salivating a bit at the prospect of these 2 russians running our power play, it could be a match made in heaven!

again... no way...

markov gonchar

PK gilbert

or you can use PK on the left half boards in place of paranteau with DD and patch in order to stay on the 1st unit?

sounds good on paper...

I'm telling you all.... instant dividends... is there a better right point man in the NHL over the last 20 years then gonchar?? nope

the General and his comrade.....

im loving it... id still keep subban on the half boards with the 1st wave with all his skill.........

really... instant dividends??

bold prediction

PP goal 1

markov to insert gonchar or beaulieau for the clean one timer.... and paranteau taps in the rebound...

PP goal 2

markov goes cross ice to plex for the one timer he misses the net puck comes back around and markov to insert gonchar or beaulieau for a clean one timer...

im envisioning the instant proficiency as we speak

ok so

game 1 was a good show on each and every opportunity plus one goal on the rush

game 2 we saw paranteau's rebound goal we saw markov to insert name for the one timer and we saw the back door play from the point not to shabby

game 3 the goose egg again but its clear the power play is working again if not with goals at least momentum...

instant dividends with this point finally being addressed properly...

• Upvote 1

markov gonchar

PK gilbert

or you can use PK on the left half boards in place of paranteau with DD and patch in order to stay on the 1st unit?

Subban is already the last guy that MT wants to use on the pk. Now having him on the second unit of the pp? Behind the 40 year old new guy, that we picked up for the high price Travis Moen. Begs the question.......if ya dont want pk on the first pp unit, and dont want him on the pk. What the heck did you give him 75 million dollars for?

I hear what you are saying......kind of a nice problem to have........but having the highest paid Canadien of all time on bench when the first unit of the pp goes out is a tough sell.

i hear what your saying which is why i wouldn't mind his one timer on the left half boards... but running to 5 man units like they have for the last 3 games isn't such a bad idea...

he has been getting PK minutes lately i thought

i hear what your saying which is why i wouldn't mind his one timer on the left half boards... but running to 5 man units like they have for the last 3 games isn't such a bad idea...

he has been getting PK minutes lately i thought

yes just recently i believe he has.

Subban is already the last guy that MT wants to use on the pk. Now having him on the second unit of the pp? Behind the 40 year old new guy, that we picked up for the high price Travis Moen. Begs the question.......if ya dont want pk on the first pp unit, and dont want him on the pk. What the heck did you give him 75 million dollars for?

I hear what you are saying......kind of a nice problem to have........but having the highest paid Canadien of all time on bench when the first unit of the pp goes out is a tough sell.

Seeing as Subban never played PK before, he wasn't signed to defend.

He is on pace for 52points and that is what he is paid for.

Subban has played 4th most icetime in NHL and you are pushing for more? (and he led the NHL in PP time last year)

Highest paid of 'ALL TIME', what has that got to do with coaching staff? (Gomez was "Highest Paid of All time' also)

Subban got Penalty Kill time last year, too.

He also scored a power play goal the other night, and had an ES goal and assist the next night.

I actually think moving Subban to the second power play unit makes him more dangerous - they had their best defenders on when they were fresh against our first powerplay unit. Now you've gotta face the best shot from the point with either tired or second-tier defenders.

if his PP time has been cut into somewhat by running these 2 x 5 man units why not give him more time on the PK, it will only help round out his game and help cut down markovs TOI ..... worked wonders i think for patches game!!

Subban got Penalty Kill time last year, too.

He also scored a power play goal the other night, and had an ES goal and assist the next night.

I actually think moving Subban to the second power play unit makes him more dangerous - they had their best defenders on when they were fresh against our first powerplay unit. Now you've gotta face the best shot from the point with either tired or second-tier defenders.

Subban had 0:40/game PK time last year. So yes he did, but only by accident at end of PKs, or even strength that turned into a PK situation.