Oct. 28, Montreal vs Calgary, 9 PM

dlbalr

:rolleyes:

Number of combined points by forwards in their previous 8 games before these two: 19 goals, 26 assists, 45 points

Habs30/31, your alarmism and negativity is both unwarranted and displays an ignorance of the game. This Habs team was amazing - the entire team - last year, and they look even better this year. Are they perfect? No, no team is. But depth beats superstars.

Call it like I see it. Yes i am hard man to impress. Not a cheerleader by any means.

"Ignorance of the game" you are entitled to your opinion ....as I am to mine.

Habs are a pretty good regular season team.

"the team was amazing last year" yes beating boston was amazing.....but i thought the title of this thread was "habs vs flames Oct 28"

:rolleyes:

Number of combined points by forwards in their previous 8 games before these two: 19 goals, 26 assists, 45 points

Habs30/31, your alarmism and negativity is both unwarranted and displays an ignorance of the game. This Habs team was amazing - the entire team - last year, and they look even better this year. Are they perfect? No, no team is. But depth beats superstars.

number of combined points by habs forwards previous 8 games.......... 19 g 26 a 45 pts

number of combined points by one line on Cup contending LA Kings..... 18 g 19 a 37 pts

leaf fans are easy to impress as well, like yourself they are always comparing their team with last years team. yay

You maybe should be cheering for some other team, the negativity is incroyable.

lol. You think I am bad? Check out Boone from the Gazettes habsinsideout. Those guys are just ripping the habs. MT for benching Eller in the third. DD and Bourque for floating around. That board has its share of cheerleaders like this one but man they can be vicious. I am tame by comparison.

You have to think we'll see a different looking power play tomorrow night. The system is not working

Only a matter of time before Galchenyuk is centering Pacs.

Could see the thinking in playing chucky on the wing his first season and maybe all of his second season. But now here in his third season? He has put on size, has two seasons under his belt, dominates with the puck, carries it through heavy traffic with magic hands, wicked shot with quick release, leads the team in hits. Tell me again why he is not ready to play center???

cant be the never ending search for Plekanic wingers? nah

I lean towards agreeing it was a one man show: Carey Price's show.

The team looked lethargic and not willing to work their speed against Calgary's. Calgary reminded me of Toronto from a few years back, buzzing everywhere, little rhyme or reason to their game. We certainly looked like a road team wishing they were at home instead of a road team looking to upset the home team.

Carey Price refused to go any longer in his career of not winning in Calgary. Montreal hadn't won in 2002 and looked like they wanted to keep it going. Just not Carey.

I don't have to have an insatiable urge to make every post I make about a single player I don't like to see that. We're not playing our best hockey but still winning. I just hope we can start playing our best hockey when it counts. 8-2 is nice to be. 40 wins gets most teams to the dance and we need 32 more to hit that. 32 in 72 sounds quite plausible. We're on the right track, even if we're not winning the right way.

Weaver 8:52 on the PK, he earned his paycheque.

ol timer Marky hit 30minute mark and another solid game for him.

I also thought Gilbert was super and guess I should just list all d-men as good.

BUT, Price gets first W in Alberta (as a Pro) and did he ever deserve it.

number of combined points by habs forwards previous 8 games.......... 19 g 26 a 45 pts

number of combined points by one line on Cup contending LA Kings..... 18 g 19 a 37 pts

leaf fans are easy to impress as well, like yourself they are always comparing their team with last years team. yay

And you don't see the problem there? It's better to have 19 of 25 goals scored spread across a dozen players, than it is to have 18 of 24 goals scored in your top three. If ONLY your top line can score, you will lose. The Kings have not outscored the Habs. They just have concentrated all their scoring in one line. This is BAD, not GOOD.

Fortunately for LA, all that indicates is that one line is on a hot streak and the others are cold. Once again, I keep repeating, but you don't get it: Balance beats superstars. It's better to have 5-6 20+ goal scorers and nobody with 30 or more, than two 50 goal scorers and nobody else with 10. You can shut down the best offensive forward in the league with effective, dedicated defensive savants like Plekanec, but you can't shut down an entire team at the same time.

Which forward changes will happen for Canuck game?

Sekac, Bournival get the call for Bourque and Eller? (seeing as Eller got a whooping 5minutes, but Bourque was 'active' and not terrible)

Engels mentioned it, Weise on for the OT was a bit of a surprise call and hoping his playoff GWG game would show up again I suppose.

Well, cant argue with success (even if win was only made possible by the 1st nations superstar from the Chilcotin)

Guest Stogey24

It'd be pretty interesting to see a Sekac - Bournival - Weise line. I mean why not? What is there to lose with that?

Because Bournival hasn't played this year and Sekac hasn't played in like 2 weeks.

And you don't see the problem there? It's better to have 19 of 25 goals scored spread across a dozen players, than it is to have 18 of 24 goals scored in your top three. If ONLY your top line can score, you will lose. The Kings have not outscored the Habs. They just have concentrated all their scoring in one line. This is BAD, not GOOD.

Fortunately for LA, all that indicates is that one line is on a hot streak and the others are cold. Once again, I keep repeating, but you don't get it: Balance beats superstars. It's better to have 5-6 20+ goal scorers and nobody with 30 or more, than two 50 goal scorers and nobody else with 10. You can shut down the best offensive forward in the league with effective, dedicated defensive savants like Plekanec, but you can't shut down an entire team at the same time.

Geez Jeff----- You do realize that LA has won the Stanley Cup twice in the last few years? Call me crazy, but I am going with what is working and not your opinion of what might be good or bad

I sound like a broken record saying it over and over and over again....

5on5 and the PP are different! MT needs to break up markov and subban on the PP. we have lost our identity since this pair was established. either put subban on the left boards or replace markov with gilbert.... instant dividends i guarantee....

subban (one timer) gilbert (QB)

markov (QB) emelin/beaulieau (when in line up)

subban on left side will have his one timer caulked and ready to fire at all times

markov on left will do what he does best QB the PP

together they do neither well because they are never set..... and yes it is that easy......

Geez Jeff----- You do realize that LA has won the Stanley Cup twice in the last few years? Call me crazy, but I am going with what is working and not your opinion of what might be good or bad

As I said, LA's current woes from it's 2nd and 3rd line are more indicative of a slump, and their top line is playing on a major hot streak. LA's not built much differently than the Habs are right now. Just at the moment the Habs are firing on almost all cylinders, where the Kings are only firing on one, but they injected Nitrous Oxide into it. As good as Kopitar is, he doesn't carry the team. He's not dominant all year. They are actually a team. Their top line will inevitably cool down to normal, and they'll get production from everywhere. (Or at least, that's what happened during their cup runs. If it doesn't, they don't win a playoff round.)

Note that IF LA's current trend continues; if at the end of the season, their top line has 144 goals while their other 15 skaters have only 60 goals between them, LA's going to have serious problems.

Only a matter of time before Galchenyuk is centering Pacs.

Could see the thinking in playing chucky on the wing his first season and maybe all of his second season. But now here in his third season? He has put on size, has two seasons under his belt, dominates with the puck, carries it through heavy traffic with magic hands, wicked shot with quick release, leads the team in hits. Tell me again why he is not ready to play center???

cant be the never ending search for Plekanic wingers? nah

-id have to think its gonna a be a long while before galchenyuk is centering patches in place of DD

-i dont understand your thinking? the team is 8-2 and we still have lots to do.... we won a game last night that we probably didn't deserve to win outside of our goalie... can you say sign of a good hockey club?

-after 10 games plex is on a career high and galchenyuk is firing at almost a PPG.. so why exactly are we making this change??

-guess what? I'm just as hard to please...... but the sky isn't falling, not in the least bit unless were talking about this damn PP!!!

lol. You think I am bad? Check out Boone from the Gazettes habsinsideout. Those guys are just ripping the habs. MT for benching Eller in the third. DD and Bourque for floating around. That board has its share of cheerleaders like this one but man they can be vicious. I am tame by comparison.

Ya know I am not a cheer leader type but this team has done a super job in it's first 10 games. Like I say good teams find ways to win. This one finds ways to win when there is no hope. Carey stole the game last night, there is no doubt of that. Are there improvements that need to made? Sure. But listen they won the game lets save the shoot em all stuff for when they lose. And you will have lots of help in critiszing them if they lose 2 in a row. Watch the jackels come out then. For now they won a game that they should have lost and would have if any other goalie was in nets. So all I am saying is there will be ample time to critisize this team. Let's just enjoy the wins. I was really impressed by Calgary and Edmonton. One thing I haven't heard anyone mention is that they are building on the exact model that we are, speed and finesse. Maybe that is why these are difficult games for us. They are just as fast as we are. :gohabsgo:

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

Still not seeing the negatives here. We've scored one goal in two games.

Major defensive liability. You think Bournival and sekac are going to be the answer on the score sheet? Bourque hasn't been that that bad and Eller is a better choice at centre than Bournival. You can't just blame the third line. Where has has pacioretty or Desharnais been the past couple games. I'm sure Sekac will draw in, but at the expense of Moen since he's been playing his off wing

when we're on, we look pretty solid..lotsa depth, D and great goaltending. but when we're off, we can stink up any barn! we know that we're lucky to be 8-2 thus far. let's give it till the 20 game mark before we press the panic button. trouble with our depth at forward is that we don't exactly know where bournival or sekac fit? it'll take awhile before we can insert them regularly..probably not at the same time, mind you, but they'll figure it out. who knows, maybe it's time for dd to be sat? or bourque, or moen, or weise? time will tell, that's why I say 20 games

when we're on, we look pretty solid..lotsa depth, D and great goaltending. but when we're off, we can stink up any barn! we know that we're lucky to be 8-2 thus far. let's give it till the 20 game mark before we press the panic button. trouble with our depth at forward is that we don't exactly know where bournival or sekac fit? it'll take awhile before we can insert them regularly..probably not at the same time, mind you, but they'll figure it out. who knows, maybe it's time for dd to be sat? or bourque, or moen, or weise? time will tell, that's why I say 20 games

Sitting Weise is a bad idea.

Sitting Moen isn't horrible - but is Bournival actually better?

Sitting Bourque should be inevitable.

habs second line has two goals

fourth line has none

Ya know I am not a cheer leader type but this team has done a super job in it's first 10 games. Like I say good teams find ways to win. This one finds ways to win when there is no hope. Carey stole the game last night, there is no doubt of that. Are there improvements that need to made? Sure. But listen they won the game lets save the shoot em all stuff for when they lose. And you will have lots of help in critiszing them if they lose 2 in a row. Watch the jackels come out then. For now they won a game that they should have lost and would have if any other goalie was in nets. So all I am saying is there will be ample time to critisize this team. Let's just enjoy the wins. I was really impressed by Calgary and Edmonton. One thing I haven't heard anyone mention is that they are building on the exact model that we are, speed and finesse. Maybe that is why these are difficult games for us. They are just as fast as we are. :gohabsgo:

I lean towards agreeing it was a one man show: Carey Price's show.

The team looked lethargic and not willing to work their speed against Calgary's. Calgary reminded me of Toronto from a few years back, buzzing everywhere, little rhyme or reason to their game. We certainly looked like a road team wishing they were at home instead of a road team looking to upset the home team.

Carey Price refused to go any longer in his career of not winning in Calgary. Montreal hadn't won in 2002 and looked like they wanted to keep it going. Just not Carey.

I don't have to have an insatiable urge to make every post I make about a single player I don't like to see that. We're not playing our best hockey but still winning. I just hope we can start playing our best hockey when it counts. 8-2 is nice to be. 40 wins gets most teams to the dance and we need 32 more to hit that. 32 in 72 sounds quite plausible. We're on the right track, even if we're not winning the right way.

I sound like a broken record saying it over and over and over again....

5on5 and the PP are different! MT needs to break up markov and subban on the PP. we have lost our identity since this pair was established. either put subban on the left boards or replace markov with gilbert.... instant dividends i guarantee....

subban (one timer) gilbert (QB)

markov (QB) emelin/beaulieau (when in line up)

subban on left side will have his one timer caulked and ready to fire at all times

markov on left will do what he does best QB the PP

together they do neither well because they are never set..... and yes it is that easy......

weell said......but MTs big adjustment was to bench Eller for the third period????/

Major defensive liability. You think Bournival and sekac are going to be the answer on the score sheet? Bourque hasn't been that that bad and Eller is a better choice at centre than Bournival. You can't just blame the third line. Where has has pacioretty or Desharnais been the past couple games. I'm sure Sekac will draw in, but at the expense of Moen since he's been playing his off wing

We're 8-2 and October is just ending. This is the time to experiment and try something different.

Bourque has been bad. Very bad. He drives to the net which people get hypnotized about while taking extremely awful shots. Brian Gionta is buried by some people here for being awful at shooting. Rene Bourque is more likely to fire a puck in the penalty box than in the net. He's Tom Kostopoulos with a better resume.

Eller can use a sit for a game or two and show if we really do miss him out of the lineup. See how he plays fired up when we bring him back in. See how Bournival plays coming back into the lineup. See if Sekac can bring a spark as well.

Pacioretty has what, seven points in 10 games? Yeah sure let's whine about his performance compared to one point Bourque and two point Eller.

-id have to think its gonna a be a long while before galchenyuk is centering patches in place of DD

-i dont understand your thinking? the team is 8-2 and we still have lots to do.... we won a game last night that we probably didn't deserve to win outside of our goalie... can you say sign of a good hockey club?

-after 10 games plex is on a career high and galchenyuk is firing at almost a PPG.. so why exactly are we making this change??

-guess what? I'm just as hard to please...... but the sky isn't falling, not in the least bit unless were talking about this damn PP!!!

Chucky is going to be a center eventually. You do agree with that dont you? So whats the wait?

I am "talking about this damn powerplay"

On the next few powerplays why not try chucky in the middle of max and gally. Would the "sky fall" if that was tried.

1. might ignite the pp. 2. get a look at chucky playing center? Call me crazy but if it does not work well, well now, switch it back.

Not like it would be out of character for a line juggling junkie like Therrien to give it a try.