Habs Flames Nov 2

Habs30/31

Why one player or another isn't in lineup, might not be as simple as most fans assume.

You know; Dudley-Mellanby-LaPointe-Bergevin-Lacarriere-le Genius see these guys day in and out, in the gym, at practice all the time and likely have a bit better idea who might be best to play.

And I highly doubt they play Moan instead of Sekac/Bournival if they think a youngster would make a difference.

The only thing I wonder is why not send one or both to AHL and call up a Dumont (or the like) to sit in pressbox till injury, or someone craps the bed, or Sekac-Bournival light-up AHL and help fill the net there?

Don again I agree with you. We may not agree on some points but I think you coming around to my thinking now.

I won't quote it again, but what a great post regarding the players by MoLG!

Don, I agree bud, it's more than one guy making the decisions...and it does seem like a waste to not at least have these young guys playing, whether it be in a platoon situation, or the A...

So what exactly do you think they see in Bourque's lazy ass?

Why one player or another isn't in lineup, might not be as simple as most fans assume.

You know; Dudley-Mellanby-LaPointe-Bergevin-Lacarriere-le Genius see these guys day in and out, in the gym, at practice all the time and likely have a bit better idea who might be best to play.

And I highly doubt they play Moan instead of Sekac/Bournival if they think a youngster would make a difference.

The only thing I wonder is why not send one or both to AHL and call up a Dumont (or the like) to sit in pressbox till injury, or someone craps the bed, or Sekac-Bournival light-up AHL and help fill the net there?

Don again I agree with you. We may not agree on some points but I think you coming around to my thinking now.

yes fans do not know everything management knows, nor do the media, nor does don cherry, or don macleans or bob macowan, nobody knows all that management knows.......but we all speculate and wonder aloud......because we can all see every bit of the game that management can

I won't quote it again, but what a great post regarding the players by MoLG!

Don, I agree bud, it's more than one guy making the decisions...and it does seem like a waste to not at least have these young guys playing, whether it be in a platoon situation, or the A...

Sure does.

Natural to watch and agree with tokarski taking budjais job. Obvious choice. Watched Gilbert replace gorges for good reason. PAP replaced gionta. Nothing wrong or surprising about a ton of fans wondering when who and when someone is gonna replace moen, permanently.

Depending on point of view; if are a Habfan or simply a critic, what story those cherry picked stats can tell. :nuts:

or a betting man........

would you bet on the habs in a seven game series against any of those 4 clubs?

"critics and habs fans" alike, would not i would think

Yeah, MoLG's post was terrific.

As for Bourque, what can you say? We are built to roll three lines, but the third of those lines is incapable of rolling anywhere except down the crapper. Bourque and Eller amount to a structural problem in the team design that will prevent us from contending unless they manage to explode again come playoff time. It's a bit of a stumper for Zoot Suit in terms of what to do about that.

• Upvote 1

And exactly whose 3rd line should Habs emulate? Structural problem eh?

Most teams players playing that role are not contributing much offensively.

I know grass is greener if cold just jettison 3rd line for some other 3rd liners, but good luck arranging a big improvement (and playing Sekac may be improvement or not, but is more armchair GM knee jerk reaction).

Are Eller/Bourque holding back the PP? Failing to score (when the forwards playing big minutes/$ are doing likewise and top forward is tied for 47th in scoring)? Are they terrible defensively, too slow, too small?

Again you are too concerned with wrong part of lineup, look higher up food chain at top 6 forwards.

DON is right that the top six needs to be scoring too. But we are supposed to be a three line attack. Only two lines are ever attacking. I read a stat recently that while Sekac has one goal in 6 regular season games, the combination of Moen/Prust/Bourque/Malhotra/Weise has zero goals in a combined 54 regular season games. That means around 10 minutes per 60 minute game where the Habs are never going to score. Then you add that Weise and Bourque are top nine players and Eller is hardly scoring and now you're looking at a full 20 where the Habs likely won't score. Even more pressure for the top six to succeed. If them or the D are not putting in goals? Nobody is putting in goals.

Too much pressure on top six, not enough production from bottom six.

DON is right that the top six needs to be scoring too. But we are supposed to be a three line attack. Only two lines are ever attacking. I read a stat recently that while Sekac has one goal in 6 regular season games, the combination of Moen/Prust/Bourque/Malhotra/Weise has zero goals in a combined 54 regular season games. That means around 10 minutes per 60 minute game where the Habs are never going to score. Then you add that Weise and Bourque are top nine players and Eller is hardly scoring and now you're looking at a full 20 where the Habs likely won't score. Even more pressure for the top six to succeed. If them or the D are not putting in goals? Nobody is putting in goals.

Exactly. I've been arguing for a while around here that, while the Habs' top-end talent may not be up there with the Chicagos of the world, we're constructed to compensate for that by rolling three more-or-less interchangeably effective lines - in effect sending wave after wave of Plekanec-like effectiveness at teams. We can debate whether that is a model that can win; what I'm saying is that it IS the model upon which our hopes of contending are presently founded. DON's suggestion that our third line is no worse than other team's third lines is therefore missing the point. Our third line has to be better than other teams' third lines if we are to contend. So does our fourth line, really. But you look at the impact Eller and Bourque had in the playoffs, it seems to bear out the importance of this idea that the third line is very much a key to our success.

DON points out that it will be hard to fix this Bourque/Eller problem. I agree with that, all right. But that's no rebuttal to what I'm saying. This team is constructed such that Lars Eller and Rene Dork are important ingredients. I'm willing to put up with Eller but the Bourque situation almost certainly has to be fixed.

And no pressure on top six of Pitt/Ducks/LA/Hawks? Sorry dont buy that argument.