Jan. 6, Lightning vs Habs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

Chicago is real close, but if there's a better team than Tampa, I haven't seen em. Sure some of you will say that we played bad, and were undisciplined, but guess what, we were forced into it by their play. Top teams will expose you..we take penalties, we're not quick defensively, and we have no pp. TBL capitalized on our weaknesses. We're not horrible by any stretch, I'd say we're top 5-7 in the league, but #1+#2 are far better than the rest of us.

kings got into the playoffs on the last day of the season..would being a #8 seed classify them as contenders? they ended up winning their first cup that year. it all comes down to who's playing best(..and healthy!) at playoff time. who cares who's a contender or pretender at mid-season?

Who cares (about where they are) at mid season . I could say the same thing to your post "who cares who is 5 to 7 at mid season" it all comes down to who is playing well at play offs" who cares who #1 and # 2 at mid season?

Its assumed by all that come play off time the team playing best will win.............but it is "mid season" now.........and YOU are rating teams and talking about who is number one, number two, who is number 5 to 7 "who cares?" Gee i dunno...you?

Wow! There's a lot of yellow bellies around this board and cyberspace about Tampa. Mike Boone in particular had his blue and white pom-poms out on his live blog. Disgusting.

My theory on TB is that Habs fans secretly love small speedy teams with a lot of Euros. When confronted with a team that's even smaller, speedier and Euro-ier Habs fans pitch a tent in their pants. Give me a break. I'll wait and see how they do in March when they play three times before I throw the towel in on the whole season.

Tampa got beat by Pittsburgh 6-3 the night before we smoked them. Where does that fit in with you paradigms?

The powerplay? Tampa got two goals on the powerplay. There's no PP in the playoffs.

Chicago is real close, but if there's a better team than Tampa, I haven't seen em. Sure some of you will say that we played bad, and were undisciplined, but guess what, we were forced into it by their play. Top teams will expose you..we take penalties, we're not quick defensively, and we have no pp. TBL capitalized on our weaknesses. We're not horrible by any stretch, I'd say we're top 5-7 in the league, but #1+#2 are far better than the rest of us.

Atlantic DIV GP W L OT P ROW GF GA Diff Home Away S/O L10 Streak 1
Tampa Bay A 42 26 12 4 56 25 138 110 +28 15-4-1 11-8-3 1-4 7-2-1 Won 2 2
Montréal A 40 26 12 2 54 21 110 93 +17 13-5-1 13-7-1 5-1 8-2-0 Lost 1

Oh yeah. SO FAR BETTER !!!!

The powerplay? Tampa got two goals on the powerplay. There's no PP in the playoffs.

Switch the p/p goals around and who wins the game? As to no P/P in the playoffs: 2013/2014 La KinKs 85 P/P opps scored 20 goals 23.5 %. Best P/P in Playoffs imho. Oh Yeah and they won the cup. 85 opps in 26 games 3.25 opps per game. Same team reg season 284 opps 82 games 3.42 opps per game. I would say the P/P matters. The only fly in this ointment is LA had a lousy P/P reg season. But they had it in the playoffs when they needed it.

:rofl: points will get you to playoffs..it's how you play the game that dictates success. there are a few teams that play better than we do..wtf's wrong with that?! a few out of 30 isn't bad

i did not say anything was wrong with that ??

i simply agreed and noted that i have stated same before

Switch the p/p goals around and who wins the game? As to no P/P in the playoffs: 2013/2014 La KinKs 85 P/P opps scored 20 goals 23.5 %. Best P/P in Playoffs imho. Oh Yeah and they won the cup. 85 opps in 26 games 3.25 opps per game. Same team reg season 284 opps 82 games 3.42 opps per game. I would say the P/P matters. The only fly in this ointment is LA had a lousy P/P reg season. But they had it in the playoffs when they needed it.

Fully agree. Never heard the importance of a good powerplay down played so much...........untill this season.

Off the top of my head..... game 6 Kings Devils.........Jersey takes a five minute major early in first period..........Kings score pp 3 goals. Game over, Kings win cup.

Think Bruins won cup in 011 with mediocre powerplay though.

Kings were eighth and won the cup.

Who was first in the reg season that year? Dont matter because as you pointed out where you finish reg season does not matter. Whether first or eighth.

What i do like about the habs this season is they are a better team now than they were two months ago.

What i have not seen, is a game where Price played sub par and they won anyway. Concerning.

Guest Stogey24

Kings were eighth and won the cup.

Who was first in the reg season that year? Dont matter because as you pointed out where you finish reg season does not matter. Whether first or eighth.

What i do like about the habs this season is they are a better team now than they were two months ago.

What i have not seen, is a game where Price played sub par and they won anyway. Concerning.

Sub par games are few and far between for Carey.

It wasn't Price's fault we got beat to every puck, 30. I'm gonna just give TBL some credit and move on.

I don't think 30/31 was saying it was Prices fault, I know I sure as hell wouldn't. I think what he meant was this team cannot score enough to overcome a sub par performance from the goalie. That I would agree with. I don't think Carey had any support. Shite happens man.

I don't think 30/31 was saying it was Prices fault, I know I sure as hell wouldn't. I think what he meant was this team cannot score enough to overcome a sub par performance from the goalie. That I would agree with. I don't think Carey had any support. Shite happens man.

Thats correct. In now way was i saying it was prices fault. Not looking for "fault" Heck they lost 4-2 to a damn good hockey club. What i would like to see is the habs win a game where Price/goaltending was not the main reason EVERY time.

Like Tbay just did. They beat the redhot habs and their goalie did not have to break a sweat to do it. Would like to see the habs get some wins like that. Going forward that would be a good sign, to know Price can have an off night and the habs still win. "know whata mean" :thumbs_up:

We scored 3 goals or more 22 games out of 40. We won 20 of those 22 games.

Some of them with a multi goals lead.

Example : 4-1 vs Detroit, 4-1 vs Minn, 6-2 vs Kings (I know Price hold the fort in the first, but we scored 6 ing goals anyway), 4-1 vs Pitts.

Also won 4-3 vs Colorado, 6-3 vs Philly and 6-4 vs Boston.

I watched like 95% of those games, don't really remember what games were Tokarski's ones, but in the end, my point is that this team found other ways to win than relying on the goalie.

Some of you dispute that based on the fact that 75% of the time, Carey is a huge factor. But as I said in a previous post, we pay a top goalie instead of top offense, so this is the way it should end.

We don't have to be surprised or even concerned about that, IMO.

• Upvote 1

Example : 4-1 vs Detroit, 4-1 vs Minn, 6-2 vs Kings (I know Price hold the fort in the first, but we scored 6 ######ing goals anyway), 4-1 vs Pitts.

I watched like 95% of those games, don't really remember what games were Tokarski's ones, but in the end, my point is that this team found other ways to win than relying on the goalie.

Some of you dispute that based on the fact that 75% of the time, Carey is a huge factor. But as I said in a previous post, we pay a top goalie instead of top offense, so this is the way it should end.

Your facts are correct however ( i haven't gone and looked at the stats) in most of those games if Price doesn't hold us in there we would be down by 3 or 4 and that becomes a different kettle of fish. This team does not come prepared to play 75 % of the time. And our 1st period stats bear that out. It should be a point of concern as well as the lack of a power play. These are not good things and should not be ignored or pooh poohed.

Your facts are correct however ( i haven't gone and looked at the stats) in most of those games if Price doesn't hold us in there we would be down by 3 or 4 and that becomes a different kettle of fish. This team does not come prepared to play 75 % of the time. And our 1st period stats bear that out. It should be a point of concern as well as the lack of a power play. These are not good things and should not be ignored or pooh poohed.

That's part of the reason why I didn't include any game where we didn't score 3 goals or more.

2-1 win against WAS, CGY, DET, BUF, FLA

2-0 win against BOS

The argument that we don't come out prepared enough in the 1st is certainly valid and quite concerning.

However, the assumption (is that a word ?) that :

1- we'd be down by 3-4 goals most of the time is a stretch, more likely 1 or 2 goals,

2-it somewhat implies that because we're down, there is no way that we can come back and tie the game, this is also a stretch.

I agree that playing comeback hockey is most likely not gonna pay off, but it is not a absolute certainty either.

In my eyes, the ratio of props we give to our offense when we score versus the important of our goalie is not balanced enough on this board.

Also, WAY NOT ENOUGH credit given to our opponents' play. Almost always because of a Habs player mistake, almost never because the other team played well.

IMHO.

• Upvote 1

Example : 4-1 vs Detroit, 4-1 vs Minn, 6-2 vs Kings (I know Price hold the fort in the first, but we scored 6 ######ing goals anyway), 4-1 vs Pitts.

tokarski stood on his head and beat florida 2-1 in a shoot out.

played sub par against buffalo and lost

yes the habs have scored 4 goals in game and won.......and in alot of those games it could have been 3-0 in the first ten minutes if not for Price.

Hey it awesome to have the best goalie in the nhl (again) but if I know the habs are where they are on the back of stellar performances from CP . Every talking head in the hockey media cant mention the habs with out mentioning #31

My comment is merely that i might be inclined to share the confidence some of you have in the Canadiens if they won more games without Price having to stand on his head from the opening face off on Teams like the hawks can beat you any number of ways, as can the kings, pens, lightning, ducks, ...the habs can beat you one way....when Carey Price is in the zone.

Every talking head in the hockey media cant mention the habs with out mentioning #31

To be fair, talking heads in the hockey media can't mention the Penguins without mentioning Crosby, the Lightning without saying Stamkos (even though he's not their leading scorer), the Leafs without talking about Kessel, etc. Top players get talked about frequently no matter what, playing well or not, on a good team or not.

If the Habs win the next five games by a 5-3 count each, you know who's still going to get talked about? Carey Price, since he'd be on a streak of 13 wins in 15 games or something like that. Price is Montreal's best player so he's going to dominate the discussion from a media standpoint no matter what happens.

I don't understand why it's a bad thing for Price to steal the show? That's the way I like to look at it. Not that he bailed the Habs out, but allowed one or two goals where most goalies would have allowed three or four.

Think of all the Cup winners (and especially losers). How many of them had a lights-out goalie?

For what it's worth, the Habs have scored first in their last five games-close to 15% of the season.

I don't understand why it's a bad thing for Price to steal the show? That's the way I like to look at it. Not that he bailed the Habs out, but allowed one or two goals where most goalies would have allowed three or four.

Think of all the Cup winners (and especially losers). How many of them had a lights-out goalie?

For what it's worth, the Habs have scored first in their last five games-close to 15% of the season.

Nobody said it was a bad thing to have Price. Thank the great pumpkin we do. The point is having a P/P that works and a team that comes to play are really important as well. Subban is our 2nd best player (my opinion) but he can't win a game by himself. So tell me what is so wrong with saying "hey the P/P stinks and needs to be fixed." "hey these guys come out in the 1st period 1/2 asleep and that should be fixed" Why in the world would you have a problem with that? Does that not make the team better? Isn't that what we all want? I sure as heck don't understand the people on here who think we don't have a P/P and that is ok. We sure as hell could have used one last night cause if we did we would talking about nice it is to in 1st place.

To be fair, talking heads in the hockey media can't mention the Penguins without mentioning Crosby, the Lightning without saying Stamkos (even though he's not their leading scorer), the Leafs without talking about Kessel, etc. Top players get talked about frequently no matter what, playing well or not, on a good team or not.

If the Habs win the next five games by a 5-3 count each, you know who's still going to get talked about? Carey Price, since he'd be on a streak of 13 wins in 15 games or something like that. Price is Montreal's best player so he's going to dominate the discussion from a media standpoint no matter what happens.

Good points.

Nobody said it was a bad thing to have Price. Thank the great pumpkin we do. The point is having a P/P that works and a team that comes to play are really important as well. Subban is our 2nd best player (my opinion) but he can't win a game by himself. So tell me what is so wrong with saying "hey the P/P stinks and needs to be fixed." "hey these guys come out in the 1st period 1/2 asleep and that should be fixed" Why in the world would you have a problem with that? Does that not make the team better? Isn't that what we all want? I sure as heck don't understand the people on here who think we don't have a P/P and that is ok. We sure as hell could have used one last night cause if we did we would talking about nice it is to in 1st place.

you can say all that HR ............ but not here.

Yes, a better powerplay would be nice. I'm not going to fret too much over it until it really starts costing the team though. Would a better PP have changed the fortunes last night? Maybe, but they lost by two and allowed two PPG's. So I'm not convinced a better PP makes a difference in this game.

Generally speaking, would I like to see the team firing on all cylinders? Of course. With where they are in the standings - in large part to Price, yes - it's not as big of a deal though. If the Habs were 2 points out of a playoff spot, it'd be much more of an issue than being two points out of first in the conference with two games in hand on the team ahead of them. Being where they are allows for a lot more patience than being in the middle of the pack.

you can say all that HR ............ but not here.

Comments like what habs rule posted are fine. A comment like this, designed solely to rile up posters, isn't. No one has said that legitimate criticisms cannot be posted so don't try to start something here.

Going to go all weird here about the way we come out in the first period. I would guess it has to be a widespread phenomenon and not one or two guys. I think it has something to do with the team psychology and attitude that is instilled in the club. And I think that as this team gels and as we approach the start of the season...we may see the natural development of the kind of intensity we'd like to see. I'm OK with that. I think our PP will also be fine.

Cant think of that game, without first thinking of Subban's bush-league move between benches.

Will he continue to mature, or always be prone to taking the odd selfish bonehead penalty? And that one was costly.

Cant think of that game, without first thinking of Subban's bush-league move between benches.

Will he continue to mature, or always be prone to taking the odd selfish bonehead penalty? And that one was costly.

What did he do?