Mar. 7, Habs vs Coyotes, 7 PM

dlbalr

I thought it was a boring game, with Arizona blocking a lot of lanes and effectively playing the standard "attack the point" model that teams deploy against #79 and #76. The big flaw in their otherwise stifling defensive game was, as Gary Galley pointed out, the 'Yotes kept leaving the high slot open. Frustratingly, our guys didn't capitalize on that. But there wasn't much question who was the better team for 75% of that game. The trouble with playing these bottom-feeders is that, if you leave them hanging around - only down by a goal, or tied up - going into the third period, they realize that they only need one great period to eke out a win. So I wasn't surprised at all that the Habs were on their heels for a chunk of the third period. But hey, that's what the best goalie in all of hockey is for.

The road trip was a grind, but it's easy to be too negative. The sudden dip in play is connected to the trade deadline IMHO - maybe integrating the new guys grinded the gears slightly, or maybe some players were even disappointed we didn't get more help up front. But if you look at the trip, we stunk out the joint against San Jose and Anaheim, made a nice comeback against LA before dropping the SO, and then won in Arizona. What I see is a team that views two straight losses as a slump and is clawing its way out of that slump in fairly short order.

The deadline acquisitions are all good. DSP made a great play on the Eller goal. Flynn strikes me as better than Mitchell, who is solid but forgettable, and of course Petry will, I think, prove a key for us if we have a long playoff. And yes, I really like JDLR. Big, strong, smart - what's not to like??

Yup pretty much agree with all that.

He sure is. The year he missed in 012 we ended up 28th. He came back and the next season we jump like 20 spots in standings.

I remember that only too well. We died on the ice while he was gone. Good point. What a super hockey player. Love that guy.

I thought it was a boring game, with Arizona blocking a lot of lanes and effectively playing the standard "attack the point" model that teams deploy against #79 and #76. The big flaw in their otherwise stifling defensive game was, as Gary Galley pointed out, the 'Yotes kept leaving the high slot open. Frustratingly, our guys didn't capitalize on that. But there wasn't much question who was the better team for 75% of that game. The trouble with playing these bottom-feeders is that, if you leave them hanging around - only down by a goal, or tied up - going into the third period, they realize that they only need one great period to eke out a win. So I wasn't surprised at all that the Habs were on their heels for a chunk of the third period. But hey, that's what the best goalie in all of hockey is for.

The road trip was a grind, but it's easy to be too negative. The sudden dip in play is connected to the trade deadline IMHO - maybe integrating the new guys grinded the gears slightly, or maybe some players were even disappointed we didn't get more help up front. But if you look at the trip, we stunk out the joint against San Jose and Anaheim, made a nice comeback against LA before dropping the SO, and then won in Arizona. What I see is a team that views two straight losses as a slump and is clawing its way out of that slump in fairly short order.

The deadline acquisitions are all good. DSP made a great play on the Eller goal. Flynn strikes me as better than Mitchell, who is solid but forgettable, and of course Petry will, I think, prove a key for us if we have a long playoff. And yes, I really like JDLR. Big, strong, smart - what's not to like??

Now ya gotta see why ya gotta stick around here. What do I have to add to the above?

Nuttin'!

Good post ChiCuke. :popcorn:

Very good post !

DSP has 20 hits in six games. The "Wrecking Ball" description fits him perfectly.

Flynn is a better version of guys like Thomas and Bournival for me. He's gritty without being strong and just plays hockey well. If Bournival is a 5.0 player then Flynn is a 6.0. Better than average. Mitchell has always been a guy who had big time skills but never got them together. I still love to see him fly out there. He was born to be a Flying Frenchman. Petry I'm hoping isn't just on a high and keeps his play up. He'd be a perfect guy to sign if we didn't have Emelin anchoring.

Cept Mitchell isn't French is he?

All flying hockey players are French. It's just the way it is in transcendent nature properly understood.

• Upvote 1

Hey MoLG.. Do you really think this highly spirited Mitchell kid can really kick it up skill wise to go with his enthusiasm.. beyond, let's say our feisty Gallagher perchance? I'd just love that to pieces. :nuts:

Well he can speak french but apparently is a little rusty from using it much.

His first language is English, but born and raised in Greenfield Park, which is like a 10 minutes drive from Montreal.

It is one of the "English" cities around Montreal. The main English area is the West Island (Kirkland, DDO, Baie d'Urfée, Pointe-Claire, Hampsted, Beaconsfield, Pierrefonds-Roxboro Ville St-Laurent) and, back on the South shore of Montreal, part of the city of St-Lambert.

Cept Mitchell isn't French is he?

Anglo from Greenfield Park. Still grew up dreaming to be a Hab, which is the only pre-requisite to be a Flying Frenchman. Heck two of the Flying Frenchmen were francos from Ontario.

Hey MoLG.. Do you really think this highly spirited Mitchell kid can really kick it up skill wise to go with his enthusiasm.. beyond, let's say our feisty Gallagher perchance? I'd just love that to pieces. :nuts:

If Mitchell had an inch more skill he'd be a 15 goal scorer and nobody would be giving him up for a 7th and a C prospect. I'm hoping being in Montreal might lead him to score some big situation goals but if it doesn't happen that just means it's more in line with his career. He's a very good fourth liner, an adequate third liner and nothing else. If we go by previous Habs trade deadline guys we got I'd say:

Best Bet: Dominic Moore (did big things for our bottom six)

Safe Bet: Jim Dowd (solid, nothing spectacular)

Worst Bet: Gary Leeman (strong season, weak playoffs)