Free Agent "Frenzy"

dlbalr

I guess I was watching a different player the end of last season and playoffs. I would definitely rotate Markov and Petry on top and second pair to lower Markov's minutes. Really was impressed with Beaulieu's play as a 2nd pair guy. He isn't quite there to be a dependable, really solid 2nd pair guy, but if he continues to improve he can be there mid/late season. Emelin is a great 3rd pair guy, as long as he starts hitting like Emelin again. His hits per game dropped from 3.2 per game to 3, but to me it seemed he wasn't throwing those big, impact hits. Maybe it was just me, but I didn't notice him hitting as much this season.

Now on to my tangent. For christ's sakes, can we trade Desharnais already? He has value. Any 3.5m per year 50 pts guy does. He disappears in physical games a.k.a the playoffs (0.34 PPG vs 0.62 PPG regular season, career numbers). He has chemistry with Pacioretty which helped Pacioretty early in his career, but last season Pacioretty showed he can play with both Plekanec and Galchenyuk at center. Pacioretty's production is no longer dependent on Desharnais as it was a couple of years ago. I firmly believe if Desharnais, Fucale and a pick or another prospect were packaged we could easily pick up a player with size that could produce as much as, or more than Desharnais at a winger. Couture? Pavelski? Both put up better numbers and have size. Tatar? Henrique? B.Schenn? Grabner? Pulled these names off the PPG list somewhere for last season all except the 2 sharks were within 0.10 PPG of Desharnais last year. There are options other there, I really think we need to be exploring trading Desharnais for upgrade in size and goal scoring.

Tangent over.

The trade DD ship sailefd last week. It had to be done at the draft or UFA period.

I feel sorry for DD, he works his ass off, scores goals, does whatever is asked of him, and nobody appreciates the guy. I too think he should be traded, but I want to know where you get the goals and assists that he gives us? 48 points last year (+22) (15% shooting) and 4 gwg's. And he is considered garbage and untradeable? wow.

• Upvote 1

Anyone got any clues as to why Tinordi has not been signed? I would have thought he would be on the dotted line by now. Does he want to leave? Some of the interviews with Mark earlier in the certainly indicated that they thought he would be in the NHL if he wasn't playing for Montreal.

Anyone got any clues as to why Tinordi has not been signed? I would have thought he would be on the dotted line by now. Does he want to leave? Some of the interviews with Mark earlier in the certainly indicated that they thought he would be in the NHL if he wasn't playing for Montreal.

I'd be surprised if he's not signed in the next few hours. Right now, it's all about trying to negotiate two different types of deals. One year, one-way with a low cap hit or one year, two-way with a low NHL cap hit and a bump in AHL pay, similar to the Thomas/Bournival contracts. With the QO deadline in three hours or so, either one of those two deals happen or he'll take the QO (barring something unforeseen).

I'd be surprised if he's not signed in the next few hours. Right now, it's all about trying to negotiate two different types of deals. One year, one-way with a low cap hit or one year, two-way with a low NHL cap hit and a bump in AHL pay, similar to the Thomas/Bournival contracts. With the QO deadline in three hours or so, either one of those two deals happen or he'll take the QO (barring something unforeseen).

If he takes the QO does it affect his free agency status?

?

He wont be a free agent once signs a contract, or do you mean for next year?

I mean next year. I don't think it does but will he still be a rfa or does he become a ufa?

ok I looked it up.

Qualifying offers

The current team must extend a "qualifying offer" to a restricted free agent to retain negotiating rights to that player. Qualifying offers are for one year contracts. The minimum salary for the qualifying offer depends on the player's prior year salary.

Players who earned less than $660,000 in the previous season must be offered 110 percent of last season's salary. Players making up to $1 million must be offered 105 percent. Players making over $1 million must be offered 100 percent.

• If the qualifying offer is not made, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent.
  • If the player rejects a qualifying offer, he remains a restricted free agent.
  • If the player does not sign before December 1, he is ineligible to play in the NHL for the remainder of the season.

Possible outcomes

If a player accepts a qualifying offer, he then signs a one-year contract with his current team under the terms of the offer. If the player rejects the qualifying offer, or has not yet accepted it he is able to negotiate offer sheets with other teams. Qualifying offers are required for a team to retain a player's rights, but in most cases the player and team will agree to a contract differing from the qualifying offer. Should the player sign an offer sheet with another team, his current team is notified and can no longer negotiate a new contract or trade the player rights to another team. The current team has 7 days to make a decision whether to match the offer sheet, or decline and receive draft pick compensation from the team making the offer sheet.

If I read this right we are open to an offer sheet, if he refuses QO. That is not a good thing.

If he takes the QO does it affect his free agency status?

No effect on his UFA status either way. He's under team control (ie: RFA-eligible) until he's 27.

If I read this right we are open to an offer sheet, if he refuses QO. That is not a good thing.

Any non Group 1 free agent (99% of RFA's are Group 2 like Tinordi) is eligible to sign an offer sheet at any time after July 1st. The qualifying offer has nothing to do with preventing one from being extended.

Am I the only person who catches when Don is joking? I mean I only catch it half the time but geez folks

I'm pretty sure he was dead serious.

:ph34r:

I do know Alexander Alexandrovich Galchenyuk is a US citizen, which supposedly is a big pet peeve of his, when he mistakenly is called or referred to as a Russian.

And yes another poor attempt at poking fun at some who are bit down on a #3 pick. Who I bet comes into the fall stronger and will again have increased production this coming year.