Free Agent "Frenzy"

dlbalr

It is about entertainment (and $$) exactly as WWF is. 100% agree is bush-league and frustrating, but can you imagine being a ref, call this..no let it go a bit more...call more penalty shots... let goalies be run over or puck pitchforked into net...too many goalies being hurt so call any goalie interference...tighten up on stick work calls...etc etc never ending change in how is officiated after each GM meeting.

Has been like that seemingly forever, but to dump on all refs is a bit unfair, that's all I was getting at.

If want real change, owners can do it in a heart beat, but got to make $$ and PR sense to majority of them first.

Yeah that is true.

What are your guy's thoughts on offering Semin to a 1-2 year $2m-$3m per year? I know he has went downhill offensively since Washington, but he should be cheap, he's a goal scorer and isn't much worse than PaP was defensively.

I believe he would help Galchenyuk offensively as a finisher on the other wing in worse case scenario or best case scenario he can start to produce and potentially take a spot opposite of Pacioretty. If he isn't asking outrageous money, which he shouldn't because of a buyout, I believe he should be worth a shot. Plus I doubt with the plummet the Russian currency has made he will want to play in the KHL. It's the reason the Kovalchuk and the Kostitsyn's are trying to come back to the NHL.

Ray Ferraro asked if Semin would be a good pick-up; and he instantly said "No Way...zero compete". Which likely says it all for what he will bring every other (or 2 of 3) game(s).

But if on a small deal I suppose would be low risk, but I would have low expectations and high likelyhood that Belle Centre fans will be booing him before he is gone.

Plus I doubt with the plummet the Russian currency has made he will want to play in the KHL. It's the reason the Kovalchuk and the Kostitsyn's are trying to come back to the NHL.

Regarding Kovalchuk, he's not trying to come back in any way, shape, or form right now. He's under contract with no known out clause for two more years and even if he could escape that (sometimes you can buy your way out of a contract), he'd still have to go back to New Jersey. He mentioned he'd like to come back...when his contract is over. That's not any time soon.

As for the Kostitsyn's, perhaps part of the reason they want to come back to the NHL is because no one will take them in the KHL? Andrei cleared waivers as recently as last season while Sergei was handed his outright release less than two months ago. Not to mention Andrei's potential NHL pension if he plays two more NHL games. It's likely that these reasons have something to do with them deciding they'd like to come back. (It's also telling that neither of them have secured any sort of contract too.)

The decline of the Russian currency probably has played a role in some players deciding to sign in North America. I don't think it's the case with any of these players though.

P!ss on Kostityns. Let's go get Semin. Don's uncle will soon have him in fine shape. Have a little faith guys, you all tell me what a great coach (mediocre as best) Le Genius is. Here is a challenge for him.

I heard a shit-leopard never changes his spots, so Mike...no matter how good coach he is, might be hard pressed to get 15g out of Semin.

Got to be a few better options arnt there? Tlusty, Glencross, Fehr?

I heard a shit-leopard never changes his spots, so Mike...no matter how good coach he is, might be hard pressed to get 15g out of Semin.

Got to be a few better options arnt there? Tlusty, Glencross, Fehr?

Oh yee of little faith. :) Uncle Mike is a coaching god isn't he? But i see your point, uncle Mike not so good at offense, likes defense better.

Chris Stewart to Anaheim for $1.7 M on a one year deal. I thought he'd get a whole lot more than that. I'd have given him that from a Montreal perspective although Kassian may be enough for their power forward enigmas for this coming season.

NHL refs are among the best. Watch NFL and Soccer.They are so bad in much more popular sports.Wrong place meant to reply on refs bashing

Edited by GL10

P!ss on Kostityns. Let's go get Semin. Don's uncle will soon have him in fine shape. Have a little faith guys, you all tell me what a great coach (mediocre as best) Le Genius is. Here is a challenge for him.

New poster learning the reply/ fast reply buttons. No way Habs get either Semin or AK 46. MT head would explode ,probably the first practice

• Upvote 1

New poster learning the reply/ fast reply buttons. No way Habs get either Semin or AK 46. MT head would explode ,probably the first practice

Agreed!

Hmm and all these years I thought the coach's job was to work with his players and get the most out of them.

I say no to proven losers like Kostitsyn and Semin. I don't understand the enthusiasm for these pukes in some quarters. What's next - re-sign Rene Bourque? You win with winners, with players who come to play every night and are willing to pay the price. Ferraro is right.

As for the cheap signings, it does seem as though the salary cap is finally starting to kick in. GMs have been slow learners, but they seem to have twigged to the distinction between core players - for whom you open up the vault - and everyone else. If you sign your core guys to big dollars, then you simply will not have the cash left over for bloated overpays to average quality players. Structural necessities of basic accounting seem to have caught up with them.

I say no to proven losers like Kostitsyn and Semin. I don't understand the enthusiasm for these pukes in some quarters. What's next - re-sign Rene Bourque? You win with winners, with players who come to play every night and are willing to pay the price. Ferraro is right.

As for the cheap signings, it does seem as though the salary cap is finally starting to kick in. GMs have been slow learners, but they seem to have twigged to the distinction between core players - for whom you open up the vault - and everyone else. If you sign your core guys to big dollars, then you simply will not have the cash left over for bloated overpays to average quality players. Structural necessities of basic accounting seem to have caught up with them.

Agree 100%, but at least RB showed up in playoffs

Now CC Semin has 513 points, in 635 games. That is not too shabby. the last few years in Carolina have not not been productive years for him, but how productive is the whole team? I think we could give him a shot, 1 year 1.5 to 2 mill, show us if you have anything left.

GL10, you're right that Bourque made a real impact in the '14 playoffs. Everyone got dazzled by Eller, but in retrospect it may have been Bourque who made that line motor. Credit where due.

habs rule, no one is denying that Semin has talent. The problem is that he doesn't give a crap. Since 2009-10, he has played a grand total of 30 playoff games and has 12 points. The guy is a loser. Let him sign with some loser team, not a team that is looking for that extra push that will turn it into a Cup finalist.

Guest Stogey24

You posted a little while ago your not against signing Semin on a cheap deal

You posted a little while ago your not against signing Semin on a cheap deal

Yeah, well, the more I think about it the less I like it. Also, I believe what I said was that IF MB signs him, I would shrug and hope for the best. But like I say, my attitude is hardening. No losers need apply to this edition of the Montreal Canadiens - especially given that we already have one major 'project' on our hands with Kassian.

Guest Stogey24

Yeah, well, the more I think about it the less I like it. Also, I believe what I said was that IF MB signs him, I would shrug and hope for the best. But like I say, my attitude is hardening. No losers need apply to this edition of the Montreal Canadiens - especially given that we already have one major 'project' on our hands with Kassian.

Your definitely not wrong. Some risk may need to be taken though.

Now CC Semin has 513 points, in 635 games. That is not too shabby. the last few years in Carolina have not not been productive years for him, but how productive is the whole team? I think we could give him a shot, 1 year 1.5 to 2 mill, show us if you have anything left.

Have to agree. The $6m Jordan Stall didn't do much better than the $7M Semin. And everyone here would be drooling over signing Stall - even at $6m.