Free Agent "Frenzy"

dlbalr

Does moving a d-man and signing a new forward seem in the cards for this summer? Or might they let rookies fight for spot and start season as is (and make many fans and media totally lose it) and simply make a trade late fall, at X-mas or late Feb if really not scoring enough?

Every Bergevin interview this month has been about giving the kids a shot. A lot of the media types feel Montreal took a swing at free agents but wasn't ready to sacrifice it all for them. A lot are looking at how some of their prospects are on their last year before needing waivers so Montreal will want to gauge their NHL value (Thomas, Carr, I think Andrighetto), similar to how Tinordi will likely be up so he doesn't have to clear waivers.

Trade Eller or Desharnais, move Galchenyuk to C and voila, you just opened two slots on the left side for a youngster to fill. Right now the only slot is 4th line LW, which probably won't do guys like Ghetto and Thomas much. Even Holloway is too much of a skill guy to be grinding on the fourth line. Carr might be good for it though. He's used to working his way up from the bottom to the top it seems.

Just many are already starting to get quite 'excited' about no top six upgrade help yet.

But maybe Bergevin is actually in BBQ season now and more /less on holidays till the fall? :blush:

If Habs move a dman I hope it's Gilbert. I seem to be in the minority that think Emelin is a needed piece,well worth his salary and a top 4 dman. IMO he was top 2-3 for us most of the playoff

Top 2?

Not a chance, other than the 42 hits he had, he adds zero offense.

Even Gilbert was more effective with more blocked shots, 5pts in the 12 games and played same pk time as Emelin.

And how can you say he was better than Subban or Petry and Markov played vs tougher match-ups and ton more icetime.

So #4 or even 5 he was.

But, would prefer to see him in a Habs jersey for this year for sure, but would mean that a darn large % of cap is spent on defense, which isn't 'ideal'.

For the regular season I would trade Gilbert, mainly because his contract would make him much more tradeable than Emelin's would. Emelin is a solid #5D, and I would keep him there. For the post-season, I would trade Markov..no doubt! In the meantime:

Beaulieu-Subban

Markov-Petry

Emelin-Pateryn

Tinordi

Top 2?

Not a chance, other than the 42 hits he had, he adds zero offense.

Even Gilbert was more effective with more blocked shots, 5pts in the 12 games and played same pk time as Emelin.

And how can you say he was better than Subban or Petry and Markov played vs tougher match-ups and ton more icetime.

So #4 or even 5 he was.

But, would prefer to see him in a Habs jersey for this year for sure, but would mean that a darn large % of cap is spent on defense, which isn't 'ideal'.

He was better than Markov in the playoffs and better than PK or Petry on their off nights. Nice 2 nd pair with Petry.And you may hate physical hockey but it's so important to have forwards thinking they may get drilled. Well worth the 4.1 cap hit. Gilbert? How many giveaways and soft plays can he do. Stiff imo

For the regular season I would trade Gilbert, mainly because his contract would make him much more tradeable than Emelin's would. Emelin is a solid #5D, and I would keep him there. For the post-season, I would trade Markov..no doubt! In the meantime:

Beaulieu-Subban

Markov-Petry

Emelin-Pateryn

Tinordi

Guest Stogey24

He was better than Markov in the playoffs and better than PK or Petry on their off nights. Nice 2 nd pair with Petry.And you may hate physical hockey but it's so important to have forwards thinking they may get drilled. Well worth the 4.1 cap hit. Gilbert? How many giveaways and soft plays can he do. Stiff imo

Emelin is garbage and is most certainly top priority to moved this off season. Bottom pair D making top four cash.

Emelin is garbage and is most certainly top priority to moved this off season. Bottom pair D making top four cash.

He's not garbage. He's a good 5th defenceman. Yes, he is overpaid. That doesn't mean he's a bad hockey player.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

He's not garbage. He's a good 5th defenceman. Yes, he is overpaid. That doesn't mean he's a bad hockey player.

Good should be nowhere near his name

He started terrible but ended better. Could have a rebound year, which would make him easier to move or make our Blueline even better.

If he can get the puck out of his zone quicker, he won't look like such a detriment.

I say that all hoping I post this and then hear we traded him away.

Guest Stogey24

I try not to say anything about Emelin, just for the fact I have nothing good to say about him. He was a liability with the puck all year(playoffs were better). I don't know how many times Price gave him the death stare after a bone head pass. Never the same after that knee injury

I try not to say anything about Emelin, just for the fact I have nothing good to say about him. He was a liability with the puck all year(playoffs were better). I don't know how many times Price gave him the death stare after a bone head pass. Never the same after that knee injury

He's a great example of how some guys need a whole year to rebound after an injury while others are good in no time. Not to mention he's banged up from previous injuries. He's the new Anton Volchenkov.

Good comparison MoLG, however, before Volchenkov's and Emelin's injuries, there was no comparison. Volchenkov was the best defensive defenseman out there (well top 3 for sure) But you're right, injuries will do a number on a career

There are some players that fit garbage tag (Buff ex pats for ex) but no way Emelin. Bargain @ $4m, especially seeing what Petry got

Bad contract or not (will depend on how he bounces back this season), he's definitely not outside the top 5 on this team. Garbage is a huge stretch.

He's a great example of how some guys need a whole year to rebound after an injury while others are good in no time. Not to mention he's banged up from previous injuries. He's the new Anton Volchenkov.

I recall it took Markov a season to start looking like himself. However that has gone by.

It was thought that Johnny Oduya would re-sign with Chicago once Sharp was dealt but now that's not going to happen. Part of me thinks he's the 'domino' that needs to fall for the rest of the notable UFA blueliners (particularly Ehrhoff and Franson) to land somewhere.

Guest Stogey24

Stoge, you said good shouldn't be anywhere near Emelin's name? What about good riddance? or goodbye? haha I hear ya, but i'd keep him as a true #5. Pretty hefty paycheck for a #5 though

There's too much money sunk into the D core to be running a 4.1 million dollar cap hit on the bottom pair.

I said it mid season, if Emelin is in a Habs uniform come October, I'd be very surprised. Especially with Barberio and Tinordi chomping for a spot on the bottom pair

While it makes the most sense for Erhoff and Franson to take one year deals with bad teams in hopes of getting traded at the deadline, I could see one of them taking a big discount to play on the Blackhawks.

Makes sense, but I don't think either one of those guys as good as Oduya, Hawks are in a cap crunch again.

As far as Emelin goes, he was a dominant physical defenseman before the knee and neck injuries, hoping he bounces back with a good year...

I'd even go so far to say he may be valuable to the Habs if Tinordi isn't going to take a big step forward this camp, you need someone who can lay the body on the backend, and he's one of our only D men of that type.

While it makes the most sense for Erhoff and Franson to take one year deals with bad teams in hopes of getting traded at the deadline, I could see one of them taking a big discount to play on the Blackhawks.

I think Ehrhoff would be willing to do that. From the sounds of things, Franson is all about the money over anything else.

Beaulieu-Subban

Markov-Petry

Emelin-Pateryn

Tinordi

I guess I was watching a different player the end of last season and playoffs. I would definitely rotate Markov and Petry on top and second pair to lower Markov's minutes. Really was impressed with Beaulieu's play as a 2nd pair guy. He isn't quite there to be a dependable, really solid 2nd pair guy, but if he continues to improve he can be there mid/late season. Emelin is a great 3rd pair guy, as long as he starts hitting like Emelin again. His hits per game dropped from 3.2 per game to 3, but to me it seemed he wasn't throwing those big, impact hits. Maybe it was just me, but I didn't notice him hitting as much this season.

Now on to my tangent. For christ's sakes, can we trade Desharnais already? He has value. Any 3.5m per year 50 pts guy does. He disappears in physical games a.k.a the playoffs (0.34 PPG vs 0.62 PPG regular season, career numbers). He has chemistry with Pacioretty which helped Pacioretty early in his career, but last season Pacioretty showed he can play with both Plekanec and Galchenyuk at center. Pacioretty's production is no longer dependent on Desharnais as it was a couple of years ago. I firmly believe if Desharnais, Fucale and a pick or another prospect were packaged we could easily pick up a player with size that could produce as much as, or more than Desharnais at a winger. Couture? Pavelski? Both put up better numbers and have size. Tatar? Henrique? B.Schenn? Grabner? Pulled these names off the PPG list somewhere for last season all except the 2 sharks were within 0.10 PPG of Desharnais last year. There are options other there, I really think we need to be exploring trading Desharnais for upgrade in size and goal scoring.

Tangent over.

Logan Couture for $3.5m?

Tatar being traded for DD, he is a RW?

Grabner has 70points...but in the last 3 years combined.

If you can come up a realistic centre replacement at similar cost and offense first, then can ship DD out, till then he is fine.