Patrick Sharp in a Montreal jersey. Why Not?

29habs3318

I'm a bit skeptical about Tiny, but I don't like trading him for a declining veteran, and would probably prefer to go into the season without adding Sharp or anyone else if it came down to a choice between trading a significant prospect for a declining old guy. Maybe better options will open up as the season unfolds. We should have tried signing Frolik IMHO.

Glad to see someone else who's reluctant to give up on Tinordi. I find that too many people are willing to give up on him already. If there's one thing that we know about big defencemen, is that it takes them a LONG time to develop. He's only 23 years old...big d-men don't find their game til their about 25.I just hope that Bergevin isn't willing to give up on Tinner so soon!

I also don't want to give up on Pateryn I like him as well. He brings a good mix of things that Tinordi and Beaulieu can't.

Finally, to answer the original question...No, it don't want to see Sharp in Mtl. He's 34 and on the decline. Let's not forget that he comes with a big salary! I'd rather see some young guy on the team! Sharp is not the answer!

He is 33. So now that he is a year younger..feel any different about him? :blush:

He is going to b a huge acquisition as soon as MB puts it all together.

He is 33. So now that he is a year younger..feel any different about him? :blush:

not really. Let's not forget that in Chicago, Sharp had the good fortune of playing with some of the best players in the league (Kane, Toews, Keith and Saad) With the exception of Max and P.K., the Habs don't have as much talent to make Sharp look as good.

You know Bergevin will most likely trade for a lower profile guy like... RW Tobias Rieder from Arizona, 13g rookie year. Why would Coyotes trade him, they wont and he is just an example of type of Bergevin player who wont break the bank and leave no cap room like Sharp would?

But still would be a big splash if Sharp is picked up. :clap:

Glad to see someone else who's reluctant to give up on Tinordi. I find that too many people are willing to give up on him already. If there's one thing that we know about big defencemen, is that it takes them a LONG time to develop. He's only 23 years old...big d-men don't find their game til their about 25.I just hope that Bergevin isn't willing to give up on Tinner so soon!

I also don't want to give up on Pateryn I like him as well. He brings a good mix of things that Tinordi and Beaulieu can't.

Finally, to answer the original question...No, it don't want to see Sharp in Mtl. He's 34 and on the decline. Let's not forget that he comes with a big salary! I'd rather see some young guy on the team! Sharp is not the answer!

I've said it before, but if I'm ready to sink with one player and see him fail long term, it's Tinordi.

We need that kind of player more than we need anyone else in our prospect bank right now.

By that, I mean that we need that stud giant dman to reach is potential and ceilings.

Guest Stogey24

Lernout isn't that far off. There's no way I'd trade Tinordi either, but atleast there is another guy in the system with a mean streak

The doubts about Tinordi centre on two things: first, it's taking him forever to look impressive; and second, he got absolutely demolished and concussed in an AHL fight. The former I can chalk up to the slow development curve often associated with behemoths. But the latter really raises serious questions about whether, even if he makes it, Tinordi will be capable of bringing the bona-fide element of intimidation that made everyone so excited about him in the first place. I doubt that Chara or Lucic ever got completely shattered in a tilt like that. And ever since then, I've been semi-resigned to the possibility that Tinordi may be closer to Komisarek than Chara as an intimidator. That doesn't mean I want to deal him away, though.

Pateryn...I like guys that play that kind of minimal, no-nonsense game. But he made some mistakes in the playoffs (these were completely excused, of course) and I suspect fans are too high on him at present, the way they are generally too high on rookies I'll be interested to see in 3-4 years whether everyone still loves his guts, or whether people have turned on him in the way they've now turned on, say, Emelin.

Sharp's bad contract would only be for two years. If he can give us the added scoring we need, the overpay could be worth it. It's not the salary I'm worried about, it's the assets we'd have to give up to get him.

The days of the extreme intimidator are mostly gone.

I still like Tinordi as a prospect. The concussions have been an issue and the game changing doesn't help either. If someone over-valued him, absolutely I'd consider the exchange. That said, his value in the future is whether he can get to pucks first in the zone and close lanes. His checks are important but his most important asset is a long stick (that's what she said). Cutting lanes and keeping teams away from Price is what will keep him a Hab, not throwing bomb checks or fighting.

• Upvote 2

The days of the extreme intimidator are mostly gone.

I still like Tinordi as a prospect. The concussions have been an issue and the game changing doesn't help either. If someone over-valued him, absolutely I'd consider the exchange. That said, his value in the future is whether he can get to pucks first in the zone and close lanes. His checks are important but his most important asset is a long stick (that's what she said). Cutting lanes and keeping teams away from Price is what will keep him a Hab, not throwing bomb checks or fighting.

I can go along with that...but what I'm suggesting is that the excitement around Tin Man as a prospect is connected to the idea that he will be a first-rate intimidator. We would not have been nearly as cranked about him if he projected to be just a glorified version of Hal Gill. Hal Gill PLUS intimidation? *Drooooollllll....*

I can go along with that...but what I'm suggesting is that the excitement around Tin Man as a prospect is connected to the idea that he will be a first-rate intimidator. We would not have been nearly as cranked about him if he projected to be just a glorified version of Hal Gill. Hal Gill PLUS intimidation? *Drooooollllll....*

Well sure, but the hockey world has changed since he was drafted. The NHL in 2011 still believed the Anaheim Ducks and Boston Bruins won Cups on grit and toughness and not the gammut of skill both rosters had up and down. The NHL in 2015 recognizes that you need skill on four lines and three pairings before you go around trying to be tough or strong.

Agreed! Even if Tinordi doesn't turn out to be a 1st rate intimidator, I'd still take him if he can play a solid defensive game and can throw good body checks!

Agreed! Even if Tinordi doesn't turn out to be a 1st rate intimidator, I'd still take him if he can play a solid defensive game and can throw good body checks!

Well he is never going to be The Big Bird but who the hell is?

• Upvote 1

At this point, I'll be very disappointed if Tinordi doesn't spend most of the season in the NHL. He's not slow, and he's huge. Those two things make a powerful frame to build a defensive d-man on.

If he spends any time in the minors (short of a conditioning stint), I'd be shocked. I can't see the Habs exposing him to waivers.

• Upvote 1

If he spends any time in the minors (short of a conditioning stint), I'd be shocked. I can't see the Habs exposing him to waivers.

Yup he is either going to be on the roster or traded, not really any choices.

Guest Stogey24

Semin career .80 PPG Playoffs .66PPG

Sharp career .70PPG. Playoffs .62PPG

Give me the risk on Semin instead of giving valuable assets and 5.9 million in cap space for Sharp.

Semin career .80 PPG Playoffs .66PPG

Sharp career .70PPG. Playoffs .62PPG

Give me the risk on Semin instead of giving valuable assets and 5.9 million in cap space for Sharp.

That is a good point stat wise but isn't Semin another Kovalev where he plays when he feels like it? But if we could sign Semin 1 year at less than 2 mill count me in.

Guest Stogey24

Semin can be a dogger, but it's low risk high reward.

In the sharp deal you basically have to hit a homerun for the trade to be even worth while

Presumably Sharp can be counted upon to be a reliable, committed professional. One season removed from a 34-goal year, he can, one assumes, be counted on for at least 20-25 goals and to bring leadership and invaluable Cup experience.

That's WORTH a boatload more than Semin, who is a certified, albeit talented, bum.

You win with Sharps. Not Semins.

So there's really no parallel here. Sharp would be a massively superior addition in hockey terms as well as in terms of intangibles. It doesn't follow that we should sell the farm for him, but if the return is reasonable, we're better off losing some assets to get Sharp than crossing our fingers that Semin feels like pulling his head of out his arsehole. And have a look at Semin's playoff numbers compared to Sharp's. It's not like Semin is some playoff kingpin; hell, he hasn't even been in the playoffs since 2012 when he got a big, big 4 points in 14 games.

To me, Semin would be at best a fall-back position if Chicago is unreasonable in its demands for Sharp. And even then, like I've said before, adding both Semin and Kassian to the team in a single season is a potential recipe for contaminating the dressing room. Right now, we have a committed, positive, and professional team culture. Removing warrior Prust and adding two head cases doesn't sound like a Cup formula to me.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

Is Sharp still at 6million dollar player at 35 years old? Give me semin on a one year deal and see what free agency brings next year, or what player can be brought in at the deadline. Sharp is basically a two year rental

Unless of course we can get Sharp for say Gilbert, B level prospect and second round pick.

I'll pay $6.8M to a 45 year old if they put up .63 PGP in a bad season where they went on a scoring drought for one month. Don't care about the age. Care about the production.

We defend players here for doing big scoring for one to two months and disappearing the rest of the season (Heck I recently did it with Kassian). Sharp was off the scoreboard for one month (2 points in 13 games for February) otherwise was 41 points in 55 point games.

If scoring doesn't change this upcoming season, we need to add 15 goals to the team to get into the Top 10 in league scoring. With subtractions and additions, additions need to score at last years pace +15.

If you want to be a better team, it ain't just about adding 15 goals. It's about bringing in a guy who has won Cups, who has been there, who knows how to score in the playoffs and knows how to convince the other guys to kick their game up a notch. Ain't gonna happen with Semin. It could happen with Sharp.

(I say all this unconvinced Sharp is going to Montreal. Expect him to goto the Rangers or Senators.)

(I say all this unconvinced Sharp is going to Montreal. Expect him to goto the Rangers or Senators.)

The Rangers won't get him. They have to sign Stepan, Fast, Miller, and Etem yet. That'll eat up the ~$9 million in cap space they have (and likely then some).

Ottawa probably won't either. They still have Hoffman and Chiasson to re-sign up front. Once they're signed, they'll still have enough cap space for Sharp but they historically have been a team that won't go anywhere near the cap.