Patrick Sharp in a Montreal jersey. Why Not?

29habs3318

dlbalr noted is not often a 'youngster' like Pateryn who is quickly extended then gets traded a year before that extension kicks in.

Gilbert to Carolina maybe to help make cap room?

Pateryn is not going anywhere,(I hope) Gilbert on the other hand can just go, I don't care where.

Wouldn't Pateryn be in play as well - especially considering the rumours that Chicago is high on him?

He could be though his extension would suggest the Habs probably don't want to move him. Frankly, if I'm Chicago, neither of Tinordi or Pateryn would be too exciting in a deal for Sharp. Both project at best to be third pairing players which isn't a great return (unless the other piece is the main one and the D the secondary one).

He could be though his extension would suggest the Habs probably don't want to move him. Frankly, if I'm Chicago, neither of Tinordi or Pateryn would be too exciting in a deal for Sharp. Both project at best to be third pairing players which isn't a great return (unless the other piece is the main one and the D the secondary one).

Oduya was a 20 minute D and they want him back. They are only taking a D with salary if that player could replace Oduya (and I guess Gilbert isn't good enough in their eyes if we believe the reporters source). Rundblad and TVR are under 15 minute D and unless one steps up, one of them is more likely to be a #7. They need a guy to replace Roszival's minutes but at a discount.

Thank god! Not the guy who I'd want to give up any assets for, in return for his $6m salary.

<p>

More from that same Chicago reporter:

@JGomez68 @OneStopHabs @670TheScore Thanks for reading/sharing. FWIW, the source told me he doesn't believe Montreal is a suitor. Jay Zawaski (@JayZawaski670) July 10, 2015

Is be all over that, especially with Maxpac being hurt.

Ok lets go get Semin 1 year 1.5 million.

Ok lets go get Semin 1 year 1.5 million.

Boy, we're really down to the dregs now.

I'll be surprised if Bergy stoops to this, but if he does, hey, I'll be there crossing my fingers that the double-whammy of he and Kassian don't adversely affect the room; and further hoping that Semin finds it within himself to give a rat's testicle.

Most likely, though, Zoot Suit actually means what he says when he claims to want to give the kiddies a chance to prove themselves. This may be a default position after having failed to sign a UFA or make a deal for Sharp...but it's probably ahead of Semin on his shrug-and-give-it-a-try list.

they gave him away. not sure what our thinking was but Semin 1 year 1.5 million.

Gave him away? I thought Chicago did quite well here. Garbutt at $900k (since Dallas retains 50%) is a nice bargain. (For a Montreal comparison, think a better version of Weise). As for Daley, he's one of the more underrated offensive blueliners out there. He had 16 goals last year - more than Subban...more than all but four d-men in the league actually. Having someone like Hjalmarsson to play with should help mask his D-zone struggles as well. (I don't know what the Montreal comparison would be here, they don't have someone like Daley. It wouldn't be Gilbert before anyone throws that out there.) Chicago doesn't a whole lot of cap space here but they've added two quality players to their team at the same time.

Stephen Johns was one I always think of when Habs traded up for Tinordi and gave away a 2nd round pick. Big defensive d-man taken in 2nd round, which is as early as strictly defensive d-men should be picked.

And as bad as Stars were at defending, he may fit in nicely and they can likely do without Daley's offense. (2nd in scoring 27th defending)

Gave him away? I thought Chicago did quite well here. Garbutt at $900k (since Dallas retains 50%) is a nice bargain. (For a Montreal comparison, think a better version of Weise). As for Daley, he's one of the more underrated offensive blueliners out there. He had 16 goals last year - more than Subban...more than all but four d-men in the league actually. Having someone like Hjalmarsson to play with should help mask his D-zone struggles as well. (I don't know what the Montreal comparison would be here, they don't have someone like Daley. It wouldn't be Gilbert before anyone throws that out there.) Chicago doesn't a whole lot of cap space here but they've added two quality players to their team at the same time.

OK I will go with that, so let's go get Semin 1.5 for 1 year. Now he is free. Don't have to give up zip. He don't work out bury him in the minors. This is proably his last kick at the can. We gotta try a flyer once in a while.

Daley is a weak defender but good offensive defenceman. Garbutt is a solid bottom six.

Daley is also better than Gilbert in value despite his cap hit and we had nothing to match that since our better players are more expensive and a huge step on the ladder better as players.

That said, this is an atrocious deal for Dallas. I'd rank their blueline bottom five in the league now. You could put Price behind them and Dallas would still miss the playoffs. They will allow far more goals than they score. Unless Dallas has plans to nab two top four defencemen like the Islanders did, I hope Sharp enjoys golf in the spring.

• 3 weeks later...

What a ride it has been. I watched all his high-lights on YOUTUBE. He is a great player for sure.

Something just didn`t seem right about him fitting into a Hab jersey.

Only time will tell.......With the new skaters on the Habs......the power play will be better for sure.

One step at a time.