2015 Rookie Tournament

dlbalr

Really?

Development camp I didn't think would need to be a proving thing for draft picks. For try-outs yes for sure but seems so quick to 'chastise him' after just drafting him?

It's a theory. If he's healthy now, he should be added to the roster. They could easily pull someone like Hudon or Carr out up front to make room. So since they're not doing that (barring a late change), one would think they're unhappy about something.

Something I stumbled on the other day, it appears the Habs have had their eyes on Dryden Hunt for a while. They approached him about a tryout before the draft. Of course they didn't bother drafting him themselves but still, that's somewhat interesting nonetheless.

I'm going to be in Hamilton this weekend. I'm hoping to swing down to London for some rookie action. Too bad Julsson's hurt though. However, Scherbak could make it a worthwhile trip...we shall see

Juulsen is going to be with the team at least. No word on whether he'll play or not but he will be there at least. Optimistically, if they're letting him fly, the concussion effects must be more or less gone.

Edit: Now he's not going to be there. His club teams' website was wrong as it turns out.

Got my approval for a media pass yesterday.

Going to try and interview Scherbak and McCarron of course. Juulsen (if made available to the media).

Anyone else you guys want to hear from.

I'm always intrigued by the lesser-known players. Someone like Joel Hanley could be an interesting interview - no one really knew about him and yet the Habs signed him mere hours into free agency. What is his game like? Did he expect to get an NHL offer that quickly? Had the Canadiens reached out to him coming out of college the year before (where he signed a one year minor league deal with Arizona's farm team)? (In other words, had he been on their radar for a while...)

Unfortunately, Juulsen won't be there as his concussion is preventing him from playing. Mark MacMillan (who may still be recovering from his broken knee cap suffered back in March) and Markus Eisenschmid are also out. The team has added winger Sam Studnicka, a teammate of Jeremiah Addison, to the roster.

The young German kid seems intriguing and puck a few pucks in net at the July camp.

Unfortunately, he's the injured one of the tryouts. Maybe he'll be healthy for main camp?

Fucale with play a couple of the games or just one you figure?

It depends on how interested they are in McNiven. If they really want to give him a look, they'll give him two. If he's there as a filler invite, Fucale will get two. McNiven intrigues me so I'm rooting for him to get a real look.

Today's lines:

Carr - Hudon - Scherbak

Bozon - McCarron - Gregoire

Crisp - Audette - Hunt

Addison - Miceli - McNally

(Scratches: Studnicka, Watson)

Hanley - Lernout

Bennett - Johnston

Bourque - Thrower

(Scratches: Brown, Didier)

Fucale

Still 1-0 after 1. There have been two fights already as Thrower and Gregoire have both dropped the gloves. The Habs had a lengthy two man advantage and generated very little. That seems familiar, especially if you followed Hamilton last season. (The AHL coaching staff is behind the bench here.)

Montreal did carry the play towards the end of the period though and managed to take the lead on the shot chart, 12-11.

Early in the 3rd period, Hudon threw a bit of an awkward hit on Evan Wardley (who fought Thrower earlier in the game).

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/COp3HbfW8AEvU1P.mp4

A small side note, Wardley was at Montreal's development/rookie camps last year and I believe was with Hamilton for a bit as well in the preseason.

7:42 to go, still 3-2 Pens. Shots are 42-27 for the team in black...Fucale is having himself a busy game.

Guest Stogey24

3-2 Pittsburgh in the 3rd. Montreal's goals were scored by Addison (McNally, Miceli) and Carr (Miceli).

Scherbak left for a few minutes but came back in the 2nd. From what I've been reading, he hasn't had a great game thus far.

No one has really had a good game.

Who ever number 60 is, doesn't look comfortable out there

No one has really had a good game.

Who ever number 60 is, doesn't look comfortable out there

60 is Simon Bourque, a 6th rounder back in June.

3 assists for Miceli after he sets up Bozon to send it to OT. That's gotta help his cause.

Reading some postgame comments, it sounds like Ryan Johnston stood out, especially with the puck on his stick. For those who don't follow the prospect side too much, the Habs signed Johnston to an entry-level deal earlier this summer.

Guest Stogey24

Habs should have won. I watched end of second and into the third. Johnson looked good, Sherbak looked lazy on some plays , and McCarron was constantly looking for a big hit.

McNiven gets the start against Toronto tonight. Watson and Studnicka will play up front, Hunt and McNally sit. My guess is that Brown and Didier will play on D, but it doesn't seem to be known which two will come out of the lineup.

Watched the game last night and Hudon looks pretty good. Was somewhat disappointed with Sherback as I had never seen him play before and I expected more from him. Hard to tell from 1 game I guess plus someone was saying he may be sick. Hope he becomes the saviour everyone is counting on but he's not there yet.