2015-16 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

I don't know why any Canadian team would hire him. He's fiercely American, very patriotic. It truly felt like he only went to Vancouver for the money.

No question. Apparently he didn't even hang around the arena between game-day practice and the game itself, basically preferring to drive for 90 minutes to his house before returning for game-time. He was a burnout case cashing a ridiculously bloated paycheck - a direct result of IDIOT ownership imposing a hire on their (doomed) GM.

Hey, a trade...and a bit of an odd one at that. Chicago trades Trevor Daley to Pittsburgh for Rob Scuderi; the Pens retain 1/3 of Scuderi's deal. Chicago saves a bit of money here but Scuderi isn't exactly an NHL-quality defender anymore.

TSN1050, owned by Bell who is also part owner of the Leafs, printed these signs before tonight's TB-TOR game:

stamkos-sign.jpg

Fans weren't allowed into the arena if they had one but given that Bell has a connection to both the team and the station that printed the signs, I don't think the league is going to be particularly enthused about this...or the Lightning for that matter.

(At least it doesn't say the team anywhere on there but that's pretty much implied.)

No question. Apparently he didn't even hang around the arena between game-day practice and the game itself, basically preferring to drive for 90 minutes to his house before returning for game-time. He was a burnout case cashing a ridiculously bloated paycheck - a direct result of IDIOT ownership imposing a hire on their (doomed) GM.

And when he fails in Columbus, they won't even get to replace the draft pick they gave up to sign the bum when some other idiot team re-treads him.

And when he fails in Columbus, they won't even get to replace the draft pick they gave up to sign the bum when some other idiot team re-treads him.

It's amazing to me how many times certain guys get jobs despite being obvious disasters. Look at how Keenan was endlessly recycled. Even Therrien - he was hired by Pittsburgh after a laughably inept run in Montreal, while the obviously-superior Vigneault idled in the minors. I guess it's all about contacts and politics (and the preferences of ignorant owners) at a certain point.

It's amazing to me how many times certain guys get jobs despite being obvious disasters. Look at how Keenan was endlessly recycled. Even Therrien - he was hired by Pittsburgh after a laughably inept run in Montreal, while the obviously-superior Vigneault idled in the minors. I guess it's all about contacts and politics (and the preferences of ignorant owners) at a certain point.

Therrien was in the AHL when Pittsburgh signed him. He at least earned his way up in their organization.

Guest Stogey24

Ryan Johansen is a healthy scratch for Columbus tonight. That will only ramp up the trade speculation.

benched in the third against too. Torts found another guy to try and destroy

Hmmm, he has an OK salary $4m/yr and would look darn good in a Habs jersey.

The risk comes after next season where he's one year from UFA as a 25 year old. Given the big battle they had when he was an RFA last year, I'd say the odds are pretty decent he'll just file for arbitration at that time, take the one year deal, and become unrestricted in 2018.

Well as we saw this year, there is a risk to that. If yu believe the cap is going up and there will be lots of money, got for it. But the Canadian $ is dropping like a rock, which is going to affect the cap in a big way. The American economy not so good, the canadian economy heading downward. There may not be any teams prepared to give him the money he wants. Especially if they want a team first guy who really cares. And if I am paying out that kind of money that is what I want.

Well as we saw this year, there is a risk to that. If yu believe the cap is going up and there will be lots of money, got for it. But the Canadian $ is dropping like a rock, which is going to affect the cap in a big way. The American economy not so good, the canadian economy heading downward. There may not be any teams prepared to give him the money he wants. Especially if they want a team first guy who really cares. And if I am paying out that kind of money that is what I want.

When a player is having a conflict with John Tortorella, i'm not so quick to say its for sure the player's fault or that he's not a team first guy who really cares.

Bob Mackenzie was on TSN radio saying that this isn't the first time Columbus has had issues with Johansen.

Nonetheless...pretty tempting. Would you move Galchenyuk for him? Too extreme? Remember, he had 71 points as a 22-year old, or something ridiculous like that.

When a player is having a conflict with John Tortorella, i'm not so quick to say its for sure the player's fault or that he's not a team first guy who really cares.

I was thinking more about his last contract negotiations. It got pretty bad. He asked and did not receive a ridiculous contract. Of course I guess I could say the same about PK but he does care and while he likes a lot of money, he is a team guy.

Bob Mackenzie was on TSN radio saying that this isn't the first time Columbus has had issues with Johansen.

Nonetheless...pretty tempting. Would you move Galchenyuk for him? Too extreme? Remember, he had 71 points as a 22-year old, or something ridiculous like that.

Nope Galchenyuk is too much. They can have Kassian. :rofl:

Plenty of players had bad contract negotiations... I don't hold that against him, and I don't think that says he isn't a team guy. Heck he signed without missing a single regular season game, and then scored in his first game of the year and ended up with 70+ points after that, so I don't worry about the contract stuff.

The head coach stuff might be an issue, it might not. I'd want to look into it, but a number of players have had issues with Torts over the years. Lecavalier did back when he was Johansen's age and nearly was traded as a result.

On our own team, he also had issues with Dale Weise. He had problems with Kesler and Luongo in Vancouver, with Dubinsky with the Rangers, and with a number of other players over the years.

John Scott is on waivers from the Coyotes. If he clears, maybe he'll be the first ever AHL player to be voted into the NHL All-Star game.

Oy. Just when you thought the All-Star game couldn't be more of a joke.

All I can say is, thank God gorillas like this are being purged from the game. I know people disagree about fighting, but pure sideshow goons like this thug? Good riddance.

Oy. Just when you thought the All-Star game couldn't be more of a joke.

All I can say is, thank God gorillas like this are being purged from the game. I know people disagree about fighting, but pure sideshow goons like this thug? Good riddance.

He has no business in the game. So long as teams like the Bruins aren't giving out concussions on cheap shots every third game, his ilk will be hard to find.