Oct. 20, Blues vs Habs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

Beaulieu was a giveaway machine last night. But then he held his own against Ott in a fight.

He reminds me of the "all court player" in tennis. Dimitrov comes to mind. Multitalented and multifaceted, their development is often slower, but when it all flows together its a thing of beauty and awe. Beaulieu makes me nervous as hell, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if he didn't turn out to be very good indeed. Here's hopin'.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the praise for emelin and all the concern about Beaulieu's turnovers is funny after a game where Emelins giveaway to Backes in the first period was the worst giveaway of the game. Right on his tape... right in the slot...

All the praise for emelin and all the concern about Beaulieu's turnovers is funny after a game where Emelins giveaway to Backes in the first period was the worst giveaway of the game. Right on his tape... right in the slot...

Good point. That was the biggest, blatant give away of the game. Had it been Nate or Tiny they would still be getting raked over the coals. ha!

He reminds me of the "all court player" in tennis. Dimitrov comes to mind. Multitalented and multifaceted, their development is often slower, but when it all flows together its a thing of beauty and awe. Beaulieu makes me nervous as hell, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if he didn't turn out to be very good indeed. Here's hopin'.

You can count on it.

Montreal's scorekeepers are notoriously generous with some of their judgement stats (hits and giveaways in particular). There were years not that long ago where Montreal led the league in hits solely because the home scorekeeper in Montreal handed them out like candy on Halloween. While they've scaled back on the hits now, they're very liberal with their definition of a giveaway. Last season, Montreal had 7 d-men in the top 90 in the league in giveaways. That's just not right.

Rundblad and a 2nd for Turris. That's better for them than Rundblad for Tarasenko straight up at least but I'm sure they'd rather have Tarasenko if they could get a do-over.

Every team has those. We passed on Giroux, Getzlaf and Parise.

Subban, Petry, Beaulieu, Emelin all sucked in first half of 1st period. But Beaulieu has been shaky every game and paired with Gilbert they are what a 3rd pairing is... the weakest link on team.

I know I know, Beaulieu is an offensive d-men and will break out sometime; but sorry to say his defense will likely always be suspect.

(which would be OK, if he wasn't a d-man)

"Beaulieu has been shaky every game"

We must not be watching the same hockey team... you're watching the 7-0 Habs right? cause I have seen a player who may have had an off night against St. Louis, but not one who has been shaky in the other 6.

Beaulieu and Gilbert get pinned in own end often, both make questionable decisions with puck every game, which isn't a surprise but is what it is. Sure they also both make some good plays and are OK as bottom pairing.

At least Petry hits more than expected, otherwise this team would have exactly 1 physical d-man, which is why seeing Pateryn or Tinordi draw in might not be a bad idea (but obviously not till winning streak is over).

Beaulieu and Gilbert get pinned in own end often, both make questionable decisions with puck every game, which isn't a surprise but is what it is. Sure they also both make some good plays and are OK as bottom pairing.

At least Petry hits more than expected, otherwise this team would have exactly 1 physical d-man, which is why seeing Pateryn or Tinordi draw in might not be a bad idea (but obviously not till winning streak is over).

When did Subban become a not physical defenceman? Beaulieu also hits and is aggressive on the boards. Even Markov shows physicality when needed.

Emelin and Petry are top 20 D hitters right now in the league. Subban, Gilbert, Beaulieu and Markov all have 7-9 hits which puts them in the 59-88 range for all defenceman in the league right now. Six defencemen in the top 90 for hits but we have only one physical defenceman?

(And yes, calling anything Gilbert does as a body check is an exaggeration, but when our entire D corps hits in the Top 100, I wonder what you're seeing.)

Guest Stogey24

"Beaulieu has been shaky every game"

We must not be watching the same hockey team... you're watching the 7-0 Habs right? cause I have seen a player who may have had an off night against St. Louis, but not one who has been shaky in the other 6.

I love the guy and have a bunch of buddies who are friends with him, but he hasn't played all that great.

Therrien is letting him play through his mistakes though, which is nice to see.

I love the guy and have a bunch of buddies who are friends with him, but he hasn't played all that great.

Every time we've been hemmed in our own end during this great start, Beaulieu and Gilbert have been on the ice. The question most people are asking is "Is it Gilbert? Or is it Beaulieu?"

It could be either of them. It could be both of them. It could be that we need to "de-couple" them due to on-ice chemistry issues. Maybe Gilbert is fine with Emelin and Beaulieu should work with Petry and it solves the problem. Maybe there is no problem. It could be coincidence and they weren't the issue, but merely circumstances and the wrong forwards being on the ice tired at the wrong time. It could be lots of things. But it makes some people nervous.

Guest Stogey24

I'd much rather see Gilbert in the pressbox than Pateryn. I think we'll start seeing a little more rotation after the first loss.

As for what you said, I think Beaulieu would be much better suited with Petry.

Don't think Gilbert, Beaulieu, Markov nor Subban would ever strike any fear in opposing forwards (maybe Subban on Marchand) nor would be called physically imposing at all.

Subban should. He's a big physical player who can hit. He doesn't fight - which is good, we don't want him in the box, but that guy is built pretty scary. The dude's 220 lbs at only 6 feet tall, and solid muscle.

Subban physical? Still waiting for him to clear the crease once, he is heavy, skilled but short and smallish by d-man standards and hitting/fighting (unless it is against Marchand-type small guys) aint his thing. Which is fine by me, but he isn't a tough guy to play against in a physical way...in a skilled way he is dangerous and tough to play against for sure.

Subban physical? Still waiting for him to clear the crease once, he is heavy, skilled but short and smallish by d-man standards and hitting/fighting (unless it is against Marchand-type small guys) aint his thing. Which is fine by me, but he isn't a tough guy to play against in a physical way...in a skilled way he is dangerous and tough to play against for sure.

Clearing the crease is hardly effective because in doing it you usually put yourself out of position and no longer tracking the puck. Subban tracks pucks and retrieves pucks.

Clearing the crease is hardly effective because in doing it you usually put yourself out of position and no longer tracking the puck. Subban tracks pucks and retrieves pucks.

And get's them out of our end. Has a great first pass.

Of course he is a good passer, but what does that have to do with physicality?

He is a soft 'pretty-boy' type not a tough-guy Frankie Boullion type d-man. Which again I say that is 100% fine, but you cant tell me he, Beaulieu and Markov are physical d-men (yes Beaulieu can fight, but still an underpowered youngster in the hitting dept who is easily pushed off the puck).

In fact, I am not sure Beaulieu has progressed at all since last year, has he? Or maybe is just a slow starter and he needs more time to crank up his game?

Subban, Petry, Beaulieu, Emelin all sucked in first half of 1st period. But Beaulieu has been shaky every game and paired with Gilbert they are what a 3rd pairing is... the weakest link on team.

I know I know, Beaulieu is an offensive d-men and will break out sometime; but sorry to say his defense will likely always be suspect.

(which would be OK, if he wasn't a d-man)

"First half of first period" was all St Louis. Give the blues some credit on that. They stormed us and the forwards on the habs took awhile before they were not getting out played as well. Good game by Habs. Great start by Blues.

Beaulieu is 94 NHL gms in and 14pts and he cant defend real well, so hope that offensive upside kicks in soon. He has missed how many open nets so far? He can move the puck well and can almost skate as fast as Petry so he has that I suppose.

Put him with Markov might help, did wonders for a slug like Komisarik.

Of course he is a good passer, but what does that have to do with physicality?

He is a soft 'pretty-boy' type not a tough-guy Frankie Boullion type d-man. Which again I say that is 100% fine, but you cant tell me he, Beaulieu and Markov are physical d-men (yes Beaulieu can fight, but still an underpowered youngster in the hitting dept who is easily pushed off the puck).

In fact, I am not sure Beaulieu has progressed at all since last year, has he? Or maybe is just a slow starter and he needs more time to crank up his game?

You keep using the word "physical" when I think you mean "imposing". No, we don't have any imposing D. We don't need them either.

Our defence is built on speed, talent, and the ability to pass. We are not the Flyers or the Broons. Emelin hits like a truck. Subban can hit but Le Genius does not want him doing that, and I agree he is too valuable doing what he does best. In today's NHL if you play that physical aggressive hard hitting game, you will be sitting in the penalty box. They call phantom penalties, imagine if you actually hit someone. Everyone is scared to hit. But that is just my opinion. As you are always telling me Don "look at the record" why change anything.

You're right about that MoLG.

Being physical... What does it mean ? Does it means killing opponents with body check ?

Clearing the crease... Who clears the crease in the NHL ? No one. Gallagher is the living proof of that.

100% of time, clearing the crease means either boarding, cross checking or roughing penalties.

The most you can do in this league is a little bit of roughing and/or cross checking. That, and lifting up the stick of your opponent.

There is no such thing as clearing the crease.