Dec. 17, Kings vs Habs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

Come on Bergy, go to Kijiji...gotta be able to find an all star winger you can also fit under cap there. Some think it is just that easy I assume.

It may not be easy but THAT is his job.

Sven did the same thing last year. He had hot start, then completely fell off.

Bergevin has pinched his pennies so hard he basically has a tattoo of Queen Elizabeth on his finger tips. It's time to decide if this team is a legit cup contender. We've all said it on here, but the window of opportunity isn't getting any bigger.

Hahaha

Sven has the potential, there's not much else to speculate about besides what movie Byron and Therrien watch during their post game pizza parties.

So who wants to tackle tomorrow's GDT? No one seems to be winning much right now so maybe it's time for someone new to give it a whirl...

I am a GDT virgin, perhaps that's what it takes to end the slump. I will try to figure out how

• Upvote 1

Well, I've been swamped with work and have - maybe fortunately - not been able to watch a lot of hockey lately. So to some degree I'm speaking in ignorance; on the other hand, maybe this detachment from the immediate disappointment of watching the Habs lose brings more objectivity. So what I'll say is this: the team is decimated with injuries, to key players as well as to significant role players; yet by all accounts, we're still playing well, just not scoring. Coaches always say you have to focus on the process, not the end result. If the process is sound, the wins will come, especially when we start getting the pieces back.

It's fine to say that we need to go out and get a scorer, etc.; and we all know the team needs a legit top-6 option at RW, even when everyone is healthy. But it seems to me that Plekanec, Desharnais, Pacioretty, Subban, and Margarine are all proven NHL producers. They're not going to be held off the score-sheet forever. What we're seeing is a combination of injuries and slumps. It happens to every team.

So: let's not over-react. We're a good team going through a bad patch.

The nice thing about your posts as far as I'm concerned is that I don't have anything else to say after I read them.. other of course than the occasional.. "Like he said.. " :thumbs_up:

It may not be easy but THAT is his job.

How did Don find out that I advertise my hockey skills on Kijiji? Special price before Christmas.

Actually.. after the excitement of the start to a new year, this is the perfect time for a slump. We have played some astonishingly good high speed hockey this year and I'm quite confident we'll see this again.

Might be non-sense but I'd think players would be playing a bit scared with Condon/Tokarski between the pipes... when they are used to Carey Price.

Making slight hesitations means more time for sticks to get in the way and goalies to get set.

edit: not to mention the loss of our sparkplug Gallagher.

Might be non-sense but I'd think players would be playing a bit scared with Condon/Tokarski between the pipes... when they are used to Carey Price.

Making slight hesitations means more time for sticks to get in the way and goalies to get set.

edit: not to mention the loss of our sparkplug Gallagher.

It is not the goalies , it is the lack of offence. We buzz around , million shots but, we shoot at the goalie, the result :" a big save". Reality? Bullshit anybody can make a save when the puck hits you. They are not "hot" goalies. Our shooters are shit. (right now)

It is not the goalies , it is the lack of offence. We buzz around , million shots but, we shoot at the goalie, the result :" a big save". Reality? Bullshit anybody can make a save when the puck hits you. They are not "hot" goalies. Our shooters are shit. (right now)

While my 'official' attitude is that this is a slump and therefore not terribly indicative of the 'real' team, there *is* one thing that gnaws at me in this - which is how reminiscent it is of the playoffs last year against Tampa. That was another situation in which the team as a whole tended to look good, better than Tampa really, on a shift-by-shift basis, yet kept losing due to squandered scoring chances. We came out of that series talking about puck luck, goalposts, etc....and all of that was true. And yet, and yet. If the team shows a propensity to relapse into stretches where it can't buy a goal despite outplaying the opposition, maybe that does say something slightly unsettling about our club's capacity to finish.

If I had to take a stab at it, I'd say that we still lack a critical mass of net-crashers and goalie-screeners. There's Gallagher and that's it. Maybe it's that, as much as a sniper per se, that we really need; and maybe that's another reason why we miss Gallagher disproportionately.

While my 'official' attitude is that this is a slump and therefore not terribly indicative of the 'real' team, there *is* one thing that gnaws at me in this - which is how reminiscent it is of the playoffs last year against Tampa. That was another situation in which the team as a whole tended to look good, better than Tampa really, on a shift-by-shift basis, yet kept losing due to squandered scoring chances. We came out of that series talking about puck luck, goalposts, etc....and all of that was true. And yet, and yet. If the team shows a propensity to relapse into stretches where it can't buy a goal despite outplaying the opposition, maybe that does say something slightly unsettling about our club's capacity to finish.

If I had to take a stab at it, I'd say that we still lack a critical mass of net-crashers and goalie-screeners. There's Gallagher and that's it. Maybe it's that, as much as a sniper per se, that we really need; and maybe that's another reason why we miss Gallagher disproportionately.

That is an interesting take on Gallagher's loss and I like it. But we still do not have snipers who can pick a corner, stick side. (the weak spot on every goalie). Shooting at the crest on the goalies chest will get you no goals. Hell if everyone was shooting at the crest, I'd still be playing :)

They can't get the zone pressure or hold the puck long enough to cycle and get someone in front of the crease. Gallagher really helped here, he dug the puck out of the corners. Semin, imo, helped a lot to keep the puck long enough to set the forwards up.

Hopefully with a return of Desharnais, Pacioretty and Weise line they can regain the chemistry of having a shooter-playmaker-puck winner that all the lines seem to have. Boy, Plekanec and Pacioretty get staler than a box of three month old raisin bran without Gallagher.

They can't get the zone pressure or hold the puck long enough to cycle and get someone in front of the crease. Gallagher really helped here, he dug the puck out of the corners. Semin, imo, helped a lot to keep the puck long enough to set the forwards up.

Hopefully with a return of Desharnais, Pacioretty and Weise line they can regain the chemistry of having a shooter-playmaker-puck winner that all the lines seem to have. Boy, Plekanec and Pacioretty get staler than a box of three month old raisin bran without Gallagher.

Damphousse and Brunet demonstrated statistically that the Habs are getting fewer shots from the slot than they did earlier in the season. It's a legit concern. However, last night really showed that the basic problem is NOT scoring per se; it's that we're getting outgoaltended night after night and the team has zero faith that its goalies will give them the key save. Lack of scoring is at least partly a symptom of a nervous, un-confident team that no longer goes out there believing it's going to win - and they're right, because you don't win with goalies who have save percentages of .902 and .878 in this league.

Guest Stogey24

Don't defend these guys for not scoring. They have to put the puck in the net. We pay some of these guys big money to bury the puck, and if they can't do it without Carey in net, then trade them.